U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-04-2008, 09:54 PM

450 posts, read 1,378,244 times
Thumbs up What's up with Center, Texas?

Just came back from the Toledo Bend area and someone told me to check out Center, Texas, as I have property on the north end of the lake. I was not too impressed with Mansfield, Louisiana, as it is sort of rundown with a major factory having gone out of business. Nice people, but a tired old town for the most part.

Sooo, I took a drive over to Logansport, Louisiana. Ditto for that place. Then over to Joaquin--a very small town--on the Texas side of the Sabine River.

Then on to Center. I know someone at Huxley Bay on the lake and Center was nearby.

Well---Center is a town of about 5000+ in Shelby County, but it is really on the move! True, the old downtown square was a bit worn out, although they were rennovating some of the old buildings. Then I went out on the "beltway" strip to see the modern stuff.

First, a very nice SuperWalmart. But right next door a multi-story and brand spanking new Holiday Inn Express! Went inside to check it out and it was first class! The nicest regular hotel-motel place in the entire T-Bend area in my book.

And new buildings going up. Auto Service stores, restaurants. A really neat sporting goods store called "Wulfs"--they are a local family but have put in a store that is every bit as nice as one of those fancy Bass Masters places. Nothing like it anywhere else near T-Bend. A log cabin motif that you might see in a fancy resort town.

Well, I did talk to someone who said that folks were moving in from Tyler--land was cheaper for horse ranch hobby farms or fishing camps on the lake.

Anyways, they said the population was really growing. Carthage is just up the road. Longview and Marshall a bit farther.

I was told that Lufkin was really booming, too.

But little old Center, Texas, really blew me away. It is a modern, upbeat, and growing sort of place for a town its size.

Anyone know any more about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 01:38 AM

1,605 posts, read 2,628,690 times
Hey Kurt ... you moved down yet? Center is both old and new! Your assessment seems spot on. Even though it is 2 hrs from me I know some folks from there. I would say all of Texas is on the economic upswing.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:10 PM

450 posts, read 1,378,244 times
Talking Good to hear from you, BobTex.

Howdy to you. No, it seems I have to work here in Pensacola until the Summer of 2009, but I may just change my mind.

If we can keep the water level up on T-Bend it will make all the difference to the future development of the area. I have spent a little time around Big Sam as well. That is a great lake to boat on but I don't think I want to live on it.

When I left Shreveport on Continental Air we flew right over the two big lakes. Gave me a real appreciation for the "Lake Country". Keep in touch. I will let you know if my plans change and I get out there, sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas