Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 06:28 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Why I didn't buy it on Saturday?
Because I was a responsible father and spent the day with my kids taking them to the movies and the park.
Why did I try to buy it on Sunday?

I'm just shocked you didn't want to be a responsible father on Sunday and spend time with your kids.

I guess Saturdays are Responsible Father Day.

Hmmmmmmm ... the plot thickens !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 07:06 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
I'm just shocked you didn't want to be a responsible father on Sunday and spend time with your kids.
I guess Saturdays are Responsible Father Day.
Hmmmmmmm ... the plot thickens !!!
I didn't see you at my church on Sunday
or at Subway when we went out for lunch.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:01 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No the law alos say a bar cannot serve a intoxicated person and can be closed for do so. No one even makes you drive home. Only the stupid drive home drunk.
Totally true and totally agree. Well put!

Old 12-23-2014, 08:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
If the Lord had wanted booze to be sold on Sunday, he would not have made blue laws. And by the way, you can't go if you haven't been.

Old 12-23-2014, 08:10 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL! Yep. I don't understand why they cannot plan ahead and buy their booze on one of the other SIX days it's allowed!

Some people just like to gripe, I guess.......
Agree...but why should that day be singled out?

Old 12-23-2014, 09:30 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
........For a split second, I paused because I thought it was too late (and it was Sunday), but realized that we just needed to stop into a grocery store (another out-of-date Texas law: no liquor in grocery stores) and pick up a bottle. Sales are legal here anytime bars can be open, which is 6am-2am seven days per week.
There is no booze sold in TX grocery stores, but beer and wine are sold every day, after 12 noon on Sunday.

It was a shock to see hard booze sold EVERYWHERE in NM. Grocery stores, convenience stores, small markets--whiskey, vodka, tequila--all hard liquor--stacked to the ceiling.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:39 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Maybe because the liquor store I was told that sells that bottle of rum is 15 miles the opposite way that I go to work.
That means that I have to buy it on the weekend
Since it was gonna a Christmas gift for my boss, I have to buy it before Christmas
I didn't buy it before because this is our first year that he's our boss and got us all a Christmas present last week, unlike our previous bosses.

Why I didn't buy it on Saturday?
Because I was a responsible father and spent the day with my kids taking them to the movies and the park.
Why did I try to buy it on Sunday?
Because I remembered that the liquor store is 15 miles opposite of the way I drive to work, 40-50 miles from my work.

But of course ... it's easier to say that I'm dumb than to admit that that law is dumb.
I don't care one way or another about the law--it's been in existence all of my life! It's just something most of us grownups deal with, and don't get in a snit about it!!

Show me where I called you dumb.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I don't care one way or another about the law--it's been in existence all of my life! It's just something most of us grownups deal with, and don't get in a snit about it!!

Show me where I called you dumb.
Whenever there is a silly, unnecessary law that is based on nothing relevant to the common person and infringes on the rights of others, it your duty as a citizen to get in a snit.

the fact is that sunday is a day like any other day. And it is the height of hypocrisy to not allow liquor to be sold but then allow beer and wine to be sold.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:37 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
LOL, yeah, it's a stupid law. I have been living in this state since the middle of June. I tried buying alcohol a month ago on a Sunday before noon. You should have seen the evil stares I was getting while I was waiting in line at a United Supermarket. Then somebody grabbed the alcohol from my cart and whisked it away. I yelled, "What the ---- are you doing?!" That's when I was informed about the stupid law.

It's a stupid feel good law.
New York, the most liberal state in the US, has the same law. Stupid New York.....

Old 12-23-2014, 06:55 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
the fact is that sunday is a day like any other day. And it is the height of hypocrisy to not allow liquor to be sold but then allow beer and wine to be sold.
Maybe it's the Liquor store owners who keep it around so they get a day off.

Why do car dealers have to close 1 day on the weekend ?

Did you ever see the Isles at the grocery stores chained off so you could not buy bleach, nails or toys on Sunday ?

Quote:
Texas and Utah prohibit car dealerships from operating over consecutive weekend days. In some cases these laws were created or retained with the support of those whom they affected, to allow them a day off each week without fear of their competitors still being open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas