Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,298 times

Advertisements

I just must moved here and I agree with the statement that "The overt discrimination directed toward those not of obviously Mexican descent and aggressive drivers." I was told I was prejudice against Mexicans when the Rio Grand Valley is over 90% Mexicans and all my issues are with the Mexicans who live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 02:19 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
3--aggressive drivers as well as shoppers in stores (see #1)
Aggressive drivers?? Passive-aggressive, maybe.

All the drivers I've seen in the valley drive very slowly, and do not pay any attention to what's going on around them. They'll change lanes right in front of a tractor-trailer that's going 10+ MPH faster than they are. And they certainly don't adhere to the "slower traffic keep right" rule, they seem quite fond of the center lane.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:47 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I spent seven years there.

1--rude, pushy people
2--overt discrimination directed toward those not of obviously Mexican descent
3--aggressive drivers as well as shoppers in stores (see #1)
4--almost daily pursuits by the police endangering others on the road
5--more than the usual amount of corruption in local government; more akin to Mexican politics than U.S.
6--stash houses (both people & drugs) galore, including within exclusive gated subdivisions
7--rampant abuse of the Medicare/Medicaid/Insurance systems
8--"Winter Texans" (see #1) who treat locals as if they were their personal slaves
9--virtually no one flushes their soiled toilet paper, which leads to a preponderance of filthy bathrooms with overflowing trash cans (sans lids) with poopy paper everywhere (I've seen this in 5 totally different Dr offices, as well as in other public restrooms)
10--out of control gang activity
11--frequent car thefts
12--no variability in the weather (some might like this, but it is boring & wearing shorts & flip flops year round loses it's novelty pretty quickly)
13--isolated; for any real diversion, it's necessary to go to San Antonio or Houston
14--few direct flights with limited airline availability
15--very limited dining options outside of chain restaurants (the "Mexican" food is not good, although the locals think it is haute cuisine--it's probably the worst Mexican food I've had anywhere)

I'll stop for now. My finger's getting tired of pecking on this iPad
Number 8, yes. They think they own the place! The mentality is I'm here, I'm white, get out of my way!

Old 01-16-2017, 10:45 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
I dislike the geographic isolation of the Valley.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,471 times
IT IS THE WORST PLACE TO LIVE.
In fact, so bad, that I'm here in 2019, on the internet-- looking for reasons why the RGV sucks.
Reverse racism is the MAJOR thing.
The post is 100% accurate.
Being Hispanic, and not able to speak Spanish-- makes you a target. In school life, work, and everything you try to do.
Working there is awful. If you aren't primos or long-time friends of the company managers or owners-- you won't move up. Upon moving to a bigger city, I've been very appreciated for my hard work. (Back in Harlingen, my old nail salon boss wanted brown nosers, not actual employees.) Even in office jobs I had, or even VICTORIA'S SECRET, you can't move up. I've moved to a much larger city, and I'm already appreciated and impressed my new boss with my work and dedication to my art! Something I've NEVER had in the RGV.
People don't know how to drive here. The traffic is 0%, and they still can't manage.
Abuse of the government assistance programs is RAMPID. I swear, if your grandmama had food stamps, your parents have it. Then you'll get it once you reach parenthood. The cycle can break. But nobody seems to want to break it.
If you park your car in a bad part of town... LOCK IT. My car was recently sifted through after having it unlocked for no more than a few hours! Luckily I didn't have anything of value... But STILL. Made me so mad for visiting.
The RGV is so isolated from the rest of the world-- news and fashion and MUSIC ON THE RADIO will be out of date once it reaches in the RGV.
Idk. I'm sour. I can't stand the RGV one bit.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:14 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,034,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadelacquer View Post
IT IS THE WORST PLACE TO LIVE.
In fact, so bad, that I'm here in 2019, on the internet-- looking for reasons why the RGV sucks.
Reverse racism is the MAJOR thing.
The post is 100% accurate.
Being Hispanic, and not able to speak Spanish-- makes you a target. In school life, work, and everything you try to do.
Working there is awful. If you aren't primos or long-time friends of the company managers or owners-- you won't move up. Upon moving to a bigger city, I've been very appreciated for my hard work. (Back in Harlingen, my old nail salon boss wanted brown nosers, not actual employees.) Even in office jobs I had, or even VICTORIA'S SECRET, you can't move up. I've moved to a much larger city, and I'm already appreciated and impressed my new boss with my work and dedication to my art! Something I've NEVER had in the RGV.
People don't know how to drive here. The traffic is 0%, and they still can't manage.
Abuse of the government assistance programs is RAMPID. I swear, if your grandmama had food stamps, your parents have it. Then you'll get it once you reach parenthood. The cycle can break. But nobody seems to want to break it.
If you park your car in a bad part of town... LOCK IT. My car was recently sifted through after having it unlocked for no more than a few hours! Luckily I didn't have anything of value... But STILL. Made me so mad for visiting.
The RGV is so isolated from the rest of the world-- news and fashion and MUSIC ON THE RADIO will be out of date once it reaches in the RGV.
Idk. I'm sour. I can't stand the RGV one bit.
I still haven´t been down there yet....but in a vague way I think it might be a LITTLE like Puerto Rico culturally...both places are insular...close to monocultural...part of the US but kind of doesn´t feel like it...culture of dependence on government and all that entails...talented and bilingual people leave there and tend to not come back as of late...

That being said, some outsiders still love Puerto Rico, and some non Mexicans and/or outsiders still seem to love the RGV. I can´t say how I´d feel, because I´ve lived in lots of places where I´ve stood out and it doesn´t bother me that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas