Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 12:28 PM

554 posts, read 745,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
To add to TXStrat location directive about Temple being on I-35 and direct routes to Austin and DFW, Tx Hwy 36 runs thru Temple. To the southeast Hwy 36 connects to US290 in Brenham and heads directly into Houston. Also, southward beyond Brenham Hwy 36 connects to I-10 in Sealy, again a direct route into Houston. Finally, Hwy 36 will head northwest towards the panhandle for that long weekend excursion into the dusted plains. Or New Mexico and Colorado.
... And ... To add-onto both of their recommendations, give some thought to the small towns along Texas Highway 95: it runs North & South from Temple to Bastrop, including towns like Academy, Bartlett, Granger, Taylor, Coupland, and Elgin. The last I traveled to those towns, they were wonderfully "Country", fairly quiet, except for the BNSF train tracks through most of them, and not so distant from Austin or Temple, that you couldn't get to either of those places for social activities.
In fact, there are great "social activities" in Granger and Coupland, with Country Music dancehalls/restaurants being the focal points [Cotton Club, and Coupland Inn]. There are other establishments, shopping, etc. in other towns along that highway, too. And, that's just the East-side of IH-35!
Already mentioned by Kathryn were Jarrell and Salado; and, in that same "area" are Walburg (Great German-food restaurant there!), and Schwertner, too.
All these towns will have generally lower buy-in costs for homes. As already mentioned, many will have their own septic system, but they may be on a rural electric co-op; rates for electricity can be (generally) cheaper. The home structures may be a bit older, but the property could easily be 1/4-acre, or more.

If you're going to take time to "go and see" ... make sure you at-least drive through these areas; some of them are truly rural, but you can decide what you like (and don't like) once you've seen them.

Thanks for letting me 'opine' here ... TC ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 PM

41 posts, read 110,669 times
I would like to live in a country type setting, like nature and drive into a city to work--if i have to. It would seem housing would be cheaper as compared living in a larger city.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 PM

41 posts, read 110,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codiec View Post
Pick a city; not Temple, Killeen area. I am credit collections professional and moved hear from the Northern NJ to be near family. A devastating financial mistake! Although the people are nice and love Texas as a whole, I do not like this place. I work at a position which is poverty level. I never been so broke. There is no public transportation to get you to and from Austin. Unless you drive, you are out of luck. I am seriously considering leaving because I cannot find a decent paying position.

How has moving to TX made you so broke? Is the pay that much less?
Do you live in the Kileen Temple area?

Old 02-15-2015, 05:51 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
We live in Round Rock which is the next town south of Georgetown.

A great place to be and many amenities.

We drive up to the Waco area sometimes and that is more rural, I found parts of it charming.

We are 20 minutes to most areas of Austin depending on traffic, it is a nice place to be. Our two bedroom home was 125k and is 10 years old in a nice area.

Everything you want is a short drive away, I can't think of anything that the area does not have.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,118 times
cmon guy Killeen cant be that bad we ve all seen worse than Killeen so what it has bad crime what city doesn't murders drugs robberies are everywhere my conclusion is Killeen tx isot the most horrible place in texas

Old 03-29-2015, 12:22 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,574 times
Yeah ppl are highly exaggerating how bad killeen is.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:57 AM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,755 times
Jobs - The nursing field is quite substantial in Temple/Killeen area, so it shouldn't be too difficult landing a job.

Crime - I've lived there for a total of 16 years and the crime is really not that bad.

Life - Depends on what you're looking for, op. There are millions of aspects to 'life', but generally speaking, this area is very laid-back, nearly stagnant to be honest. There's not a plethora, of recreational activities available, nor a variety. Those who have their interests/hobbies readily available to them are very lucky (mostly football fans and church goers).

Housing - Cost of living is good enough to get a decent/comfortable place for your money.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:47 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,167,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliv4ever View Post
cmon guy Killeen cant be that bad we ve all seen worse than Killeen so what it has bad crime what city doesn't murders drugs robberies are everywhere my conclusion is Killeen tx isot the most horrible place in texas
It's not that the crime rate is bad which it isn't. I've seen the Beaumont area in Southeast Texas and would knock out Killeen in crime. But it's more of the people it can bring in. I'm not talking about our Military, but Killeen and Bell County in general has alot of weird/crazy people. I have met and seen people do some really crazy s*** here. For instance a guy I did know set a car on fire for no reason. A woman last year was screaming her lungs out at traffic while on top of her car. Hopefully your experience can be better than mine.

Old 03-30-2015, 12:03 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
[quote=BigRed210;37939199]ChristieP

Quote:
FYI: I'm an Army Reservist's wife. My husband has served for 23 years and has done 3 overseas deployments.

But I still would not choose to live near Fort Hood.

LMAO....I understand we all have opinions and issues with Killeen but Fort Hood keeps Killeen afloat. Just because your husband has served or is serving doesn't justify or you have expert knowledge because you are a military spouse.

Killeen has it's crime problems just as any other city in Texas, Killeen lacks many things to make a it a good city. I have no clue what the city spends it's funds on but someone needs to do some checks and balances. Where does all the money go??

The education system is sub par - I blame the school board not the teachers.

Workforce/employment is horrible - expect 8.00 hr at most

People are not very friendly to include people who work in customer service roles.

City lacks culture, history and entertainment

Way too many food chain restaurants.

Movie theaters need to be upgraded

There is no real place to have fun with your family ..... Chuck e cheese and some crappy zoomarang.

Tattoo shops and stealerships everywhere. Too many barber shops and sew shops.

Downtown......I have nothing because I wouldn't call it a downtown at all.
It's a military town. Put it like this. Killeen is Fayetteville, NC on the prairie. I have no intentions on ever living there again and I grew up there. What you described is exactly the Killeen I saw and great up with...in the 1990s.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:59 AM

4 posts, read 7,560 times
Default pcsing to Fort Hood Jan 2016

We are pcsing to fort hood in Jan 2016 from Md. Would like to stay close to post if possible. Have newborn and 4yo which will be kindergarten at the next school year. Looking to rent a family home with a yard as have a house trained lab.Any info on area close to the base,daycare on or off the post and all other info which would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas