Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:48 PM

20 posts, read 19,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamC View Post
We are pcsing to fort hood in Jan 2016 from Md. Would like to stay close to post if possible. Have newborn and 4yo which will be kindergarten at the next school year. Looking to rent a family home with a yard as have a house trained lab.Any info on area close to the base,daycare on or off the post and all other info which would be helpful.
We are just getting ready to leave here next month, only been here two years, but have lived in Harker Heights and enjoyed it. We are actually renting a house, but aren't looking to wait 4+ months to get it rented.

Personally, I would recommend Harker Heights as you are closer to a newer shopping center called Market Heights. They have a movie theater, target, cheddar's, bed, bath, and beyond, carter's, etc. There is also a Walmart, Sam's Club, and Walmart Neighborhood Market all within about 3 miles for grocery shopping. HEB is the local grocery mart if you prefer those to Walmart. The area around the Harker Heights high school where we live is nice and we haven't noticed much crime. I think the gas stations down the road were robbed a month or so ago, but that is the "rougher" side of Harker Heights. If you enjoy fishing, Stillhouse Hollow Lake is about 10~ mins down the road as is a Dana Peak Park for some light hiking or running. Harker Heights also has a community park about 5 mins down the road from the high school that is nice. Commute time to post from where we live is roughly 10-15 mins. It's really a quick drive. Leaving post could run 20-30 mins depending what time you leave. If you leave bewteen 1630-1650 you will beat a lot of traffic out the gate. After 1700, just get in line with everyone else. There is a lot of construction on 190 right now, but it looks like it is for the better. Used to be 2 lane roads in and out of post and was a massive cluster, especially when there was an accident when everyone is coming/going and shut the highway down to 1 lane. Some of the areas are up to 3 lanes now, with a fourth merge/exit lane that I feel has helped lessen the traffic a bit. All in all, I feel like Harker Heights was built for the Military and I enjoy the amenities here.

Killeen has a bunch of other restaurants just off 190 (the main highway running to and from post) that are just a 5-8 minute drive down the road. Killeen is just a lot more ghetto. I don't know where else you have lived, but it's comparable to Fayeteville, NC as one poster said or Columbus, GA outside of Benning. I know a few people who live in an area of Killeen called Goodnight Ranch. Lots of military families. Living in Killeen will get you more square feet per $ in terms of housing, it's just a matter of preference, really. Commute time from that neighborhood is probably 10-15 mins to post.

Copperas Cove to the west also has cheaper housing, but from what I hear, the commute is a lot worse. Copperas Cove itself is a pretty run down old town. Reminds me of Phenix City, AL or Carlsbad, NM if you have ever been to either of those places.

One other thing to consider, if your spouse is going to be stationed on North Fort Hood, looking at places in Belton or Temple might be a better option. Nort Fort Hood is literally a 45 minute drive from main post and it sucks out there. Just saying.

PM if you want additional info. I don't mind sharing.

Also forgot to touch on daycare. We enjoyed Log Cabin Learning Academy while our child was in attendance. We visited some of the other daycares in the area, but they just rubbed us the wrong way.

Last edited by 'gusta_balla; 08-11-2015 at 03:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 7,560 times
@Gusta_Balla, thanks for the info.Really prefer Harker Heights,but seen like would get more space for $ in Killeen area but will have to found the ok neighborhood. Been on eastReally know about columbus/Benning area. Been on the east coast area alot and will miss that extra basement space.lol. Thanks agian

Old 08-12-2015, 01:56 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times
Temple Belton Killeen are great choices even Bryan College Station not bad either, if you wanted to be close to Austin Georgetown Round Rock area.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,883 times
Mkilleen is filled with gangs and the crime is only getting worst. children getting kidnap or attempted on fort hood or in Killeen. My advice for anyone reading this is stay far away from temple, copperas cove, Killeen and harker heights .

Spicewood or Burnet Texas is an hour away and its a quicker trip into fort hood than Georgetown and no traffic

Those towns offer so much
Great schools
Ink lake
Krause springs
Great scenery
Angels icehouse- great spot for families for dinner
Nature
And the small feel

I know being a soldier or being in a military family is hard because every army town is the same and gets very tiring after a while . My advice is move an hour away gets you a chance to experience the state

Old 05-06-2016, 07:04 PM

16 posts, read 84,473 times
Default Killeen neighborhoods

Not trying to hijack the thread, but was hoping people could weigh-in on Killeen rental homes. Wondering if neighborhoods by the airport or by the elementary schools Cedar Valley and the middle school Liberty Hill are safe. What Killeen, TX neighborhoods might you recommend? Also, any property management companies you recommend? Ones to avoid?

Thanks!

Old 05-08-2016, 01:36 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
That sounds like the Heather Glen area. Haven't been there in a while. It's a good area. Quiet too. You have those wannabe kids. But it's your typical Texas suburban area. The closer you are to stagecoach road, the newer the area is because the homes on stan schlueter (sp?) road are oldish. Not 1960 or anything but 1990.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:30 AM

16 posts, read 84,473 times
Awesome! Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:17 AM

7 posts, read 20,813 times
If you are really interested in Central Texas you can look at Waco. Its small as a city goes. Its a city, so yes there is crime. If you are looking for a more rural setting.... you can look at Corsicana, Fairfield, Palestine, Groesbeck, Mexia, Madisonville, Buffalo. If you are looking for an even MORE rural setting... look for small towns like Thornton, Kosse, etc.

Most of those towns have VA facilities so you could look into getting on there as a nurse. There are also multiple smaller sized hospitals as well as the larger ones like S&W in Waco.

In that area, if you are set on it... there is also Harker Heights, Copperas Cove... We are an AD family right now and dread even the thought of going to Hood. When people say 'ugh its a military town', they are not necessarily talking about the military members (even though they are from all over and the way they drive and act are learned from where they are from so sometimes it clashes)... think about many many years ago when the boat docks were the dangerous parts of town. Something about having a military town causes the very worst to build up on the outskirts of that area.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:03 PM

71 posts, read 115,813 times
Default Jarrell area

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You might want to look at Jarrell in that price range. Just minutes up I35 from Georgetown (we live in the country right outside of Jarrell, do our major grocery shopping in Georgetown or Salado or Belton depending, though there is a small local supermarket in Jarrell), and there are a couple of subdivisions as well as older homes. Some of the older homes are on half an acre - that used to be the standard in the community before the subdivisions were built. Some are on city (well, private water company) water and septic, some on the same and sewer (the city sewer is relatively new). It's still a rural community, though, if that's what you're looking for. You could also look in Taylor in that price range; again, a community whose base is rural. Sometimes there will be something in Georgetown in that range; you just have to wait for them. Mostly foreclosures.

I am retiring and looking to relocate to this area of Texas. You are a realtor.. can you tell me about it? I am looking to purchase a home...around $200k range. What is there, how far from Austin/DFW etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas