U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:31 PM

8 posts, read 90,838 times
Question How do I become a Texas citizen? Relocated from NM

I think I'm eligible to become a Texas citizen, but I'm not sure how.

I moved to Texas in 2003 for college and have stayed here ever since. During college, I was employed with the University for 22 months or so, and since college I have been employed at another job (in San Antonio) for seven months. During college I kept my NM citizenship because I wasn't sure where I'd end up after graduation. Now I know I'll be in Texas for the foreseeable future and so I'd like to become a Texas citizen, register to vote here, etc.

Does anybody have a clue as to where I should begin this process? I appreciate your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 05:45 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,567,121 times
I really think that all you need to do is get a Texas Driver's License, have a Texas address, and register to vote. There are no formal citizenship requirements.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 AM

38 posts, read 120,587 times
Default Texas Citizenship

I think you qualify. Here is the Texas Secretary of State site, it has instructions on how to register.Texas Voting

Old 01-09-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I really think that all you need to do is get a Texas Driver's License, have a Texas address, and register to vote. There are no formal citizenship requirements.
Excellent. This does help. However, it also confuses me - how, then, is residency 'officially' determined for things such as University tuition? It's been a while since I've gone through that process. Maybe I'm confusing the concepts of residency and citizenship.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerliryc View Post
I think you qualify. Here is the Texas Secretary of State site, it has instructions on how to register.Texas Voting
Ah yes - after I read Turnerliryc's response to my wife last night, she pulled a voter registration card out of somewhere and I read the qualifications on it. It seems I do qualify, so I filled it out and I'm mailing it from work today!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:01 AM

11,203 posts, read 16,535,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlshiftesc View Post
Excellent. This does help. However, it also confuses me - how, then, is residency 'officially' determined for things such as University tuition? It's been a while since I've gone through that process. Maybe I'm confusing the concepts of residency and citizenship.
I think you just have to prove residency (as with a Texas DL, utility bill etc.) and there may be a requirement that you've lived in the state for a given time (6-12 months or so) for in-state tuition.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:19 PM

1,994 posts, read 2,567,121 times
I have lived in several states, and taken college/university courses in each one. Residency is usually based on parent's address (if you are under 21). If you move to a state to work, residency is based on your address. I remember having to take documentation about my company transferring me to qualify for in-state tuition...basically, I had to prove that I did not move to the state just to qualify for resident tuition. If you can't meet those requirements, residency usually requires a year without your being enrolled in a public university. But you are a citizen the entire time!

Old 02-17-2014, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 553 times
If you are born in Texas you are given a certificate of being a Citizen of Texas.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:39 AM

320 posts, read 246,364 times
Citizen? Texas is a state..you woud become a resident but still get to keep your citizenship in the United States of America.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:40 PM

6,679 posts, read 10,028,617 times
Yeah definitely some confusion over terminology for sure. Youre a Resident of the State and a Citizen of the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas