Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:04 PM

24 posts, read 31,908 times

Advertisements

Without knowing a lot about how dew points work its hard to really get a good gauge on this stuff. I went to Los Angeles in the summer once and the weather people said the humidity was 85% so I figured it would be muggy but nope it was sooo dry feeling when compared to Houston, Louisiana, and Florida.

So, for those of you that are experienced with Austin summers and summers in other places, how would you rate their summers in terms of how muggy and oppressive it feels? In Houston sometimes it feels like the air is very brutal and causes me to sweat just being outside. Not like in Nevada where it can be 100 degrees and I'm okay so long as I'm not baking in direct sunlight.

I hear people say Austin air is dryer and I understand there's droughts and less rainfall, but let's be clear.. it's not west coast dry, right??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 09:10 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsgardDevice View Post
Without knowing a lot about how dew points work its hard to really get a good gauge on this stuff. I went to Los Angeles in the summer once and the weather people said the humidity was 85% so I figured it would be muggy but nope it was sooo dry feeling when compared to Houston, Louisiana, and Florida.

So, for those of you that are experienced with Austin summers and summers in other places, how would you rate their summers in terms of how muggy and oppressive it feels? In Houston sometimes it feels like the air is very brutal and causes me to sweat just being outside. Not like in Nevada where it can be 100 degrees and I'm okay so long as I'm not baking in direct sunlight.

I hear people say Austin air is dryer and I understand there's droughts and less rainfall, but let's be clear.. it's not west coast dry, right??
Both can be brutally humid, but overall Houston is worse.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:52 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,617,273 times
Austin is not west coast dry but it's less Humid then Houston and you can tell the difference in the summer time.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:13 PM

254 posts, read 401,090 times
Strong to quite strong.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:10 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
A couple degrees hotter and maybe 10% points lower than Houston. Same goes for SA and DFW, although DFW can get even hotter and the wind is more like a blast furnace. Peak heat indexes are about the same in all of those places. Pick your poison.

However-- early mornings in Houston are still hot & sweaty, while things cool off nicely in the other cities.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:03 AM

311 posts, read 450,705 times
Houston is more humid due to being right by the Gulf, to top that off I think the actual land level of the city is lower than sea level... but don't quote me on that. However, I do prefer humidity as my hands and lips chap like no other in dryer places. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna age/wrinkle quicker without constant application of lotion and oils.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Austin is not a dry climate, it is far more humid then most of the central and Western United States, but still not as humid as Houston.

Austin-------------------------------------------------------------Houston

Wind speed also makes a huge difference in comfort.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:58 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallahoohoo View Post
Houston is more humid due to being right by the Gulf, to top that off I think the actual land level of the city is lower than sea level...
No.

Downtown and the inner city areas are about 50' above sea level. The lowest part of Houston proper is the Clear Lake area at 20-30'.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:02 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,400,208 times
Austin and Houston are pretty much the same in terms of humidity, only a few points difference. Look at dew point numbers instead of relative humdity to get a feel for an area. A dew point above 60F and you are going to be sweating. Houston & Austin both are pretty much above 60F in dew point every day the entire summer.

LA dew point will be more like 50F in the summer most of the time. I think Arizona & Nevada are pretty similar to LA, if not lower.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
I have lived in both cities.

Look closely at the data posted by CptnRn. Houston is at the top or above the national average range all year. Austin is in the range, generally not at the top. Look at afternoon temperatures from June through Sept. That is where Austin and Houston are different. Austin has noticeably drier afternoons in the summer. I am no meteorologist, but I think what we experience is that the breeze and heat burns off the humidity in Austin, but in Houston the Gulf continuously brings humidity in. The prevailing winds are from the southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas