Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:41 AM

657 posts, read 2,544,415 times

Advertisements

It seemed a nice enough town the one time I drove through it, but it's in the middle of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 09:59 AM

218 posts, read 579,980 times
Really, as a native Texan, the question is somewhat hard to answer. There are so many people in TX from other places, that its all mixed up. Texas itself is like that!!!! Some of the most famous "texans" aren't even from our fine state. That is okay! And, as I 've travelled, I've met MANY Texans who live and call other states their home as well. So.. Amarillo has changed a GREAT deal. Its quite cosmopolitan for the Panhandle, really. Yes, its yellow most of the year. Yes, you can have good winters. However, people who moved to Amarillo from real winter places used to laff at we Amarilloans who make such a big deal out of six inches of snow. It is a big deal to us. lol. It is a growing city! Places that are nice generally do grow!

Old 09-19-2009, 02:46 PM

19 posts, read 65,274 times
Default foreigners in Texas..........HA!

Yes, there are many newcomers flocking to Texas especially in the large metro areas. But in Ama, there are still enough Texans there to feel nice and cozy.....right at home. Altho.......I took my husband to the VA hospital there which BTW is one of the GREATEST hospitals and staff we've ever dealt with....we've had our share. This is saying ALOT in favor of the VA. My husband's surgeon was Argentinian, his student assistant was from Brazil. Nicest two people you would ever meet. Since we live in Mexico, we felt so comfortable w/these two. Don't let any one fool you, the medical care in Mexico is superb. We don't have insurance living here so, we took advantage of our VA benefits. EXCELLENT....in Ama. Not all VA facilities are created equal.

I have a good bit of family in AMA so am there often and it worked out really well for us to go there for the cancer surgery which turned out not to be cancer. All the other staff that attended us were wonderful. Also, might mention this in light of current issues concerning health care reform; Probably 75% of the doctors on staff at this particular VA are foreigners......not from other states in US.....am referring to outside of US.

We really can't say enough good things about AMA. Husband's heart is stuck here in Mexico but I would move to AMA in a heart beat to be with family.....and because it is my-kind-of-town. Also, is very conservative.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:51 PM

19 posts, read 65,274 times
Default Premont??????

Is in south Texas......lies between Alice and Kingsville. It is very small. Went to HS is Falfurrias which is just a few miles south of Premont. Would not be my first choice at all. I am not fond of that part of the valley......even tho I still have family down there.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:30 PM

Remember, any town/city with lots of the people you are warm and cozy with (family) always seems to be wonderful. So glad you had a good good experience at VA Hospital. In many respects, when patients (I worked at BSA) had experienced both - as far as people, they preferred VA Hospital. All the best to you.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:46 AM

116 posts, read 251,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Amarillo is a fine city. If you like your Winters, Amarillo probably has the coldest Winters in Texas. It gets mighty nippy up there in the Winter months.. As far as it being "real Texas" I'd suppose it's as real as any other city in Texas. Just because it's not in the middle doesn't make it any less a part of Texas. BTW, Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo is spectacular. Amarillo has a lot more going for it than people think.

"Amarillo by morning..
Amarillo is where I'll be.."

Great song by George Straight

i like that song. i used to live there. and i agree Palo Duro Canyon is really cool. and what makes people think that Amarillo isnt part of Texas

Old 10-31-2009, 08:47 AM

I don't get it either. AMA is IN Texas - why wouldn't it not be considered part of TX? The whole question boggles this gal's imagination...

Old 10-31-2009, 02:07 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Hehehehehe...so we are back to the Texas-is-southern again, huh?? LOL!!

The Panhandle and West Texas are, as I have stated before, not what I consider southern. It's neither an insult nor a thing of pride as far as I'm concerned--but you know that already, LOL!!

I have southern roots just like nearly every other native Texan, but I embrace the western/Mexican/Spanish roots far more than I ever did the southern aspect....(and I'm anglo, not hispanic)...and that goes for customs, food, and most other things that make up culture.

Texas is Texas.....and has something for everyone. I don't believe that there is a more diverse state (geographically speaking) than Texas in the entire United States. We have everything from tropical/beach to mountains and desert....and the greatest thing is that people can take what they wish from this.

While I love all of Texas, West Texas and nearby New Mexico will always be dearest to my heart.
Much of southeast Texas was populated beginning in the 1820's and 1830's from stephen F. Austin and his father. The Original Three Hundred and the families that followed prior to the Civil War were mostly southerns. San Antonio was populated by the Spanish from 1730's on. French also came into East Texas from LA. The Germans came in around 1842 and settled around the northern border of San Antonio and southern Austin. I.e. Kerrville, Fredericksburg, New Braunfels, Seguin, etc.

Most of the area north of San Antonio was Comanche and Apache territory. After the Civil War cattlemen were driving cattle to Kansas and the area began to populated with people from the Midwest. Cattle ranches started and that was followed by oil after 1900.

Of course going back to the Republic, we proudly claimed eastern half of New Mexico, Eastern half of Colorado, Oklahoma Panhandle and part of Kansas and Wyoming. Bexar County extended north of San Antonio to Wyoming. We, in Bexar County, had the largest county until everyone wanted a part of it. Even Atascosa County south of Bexar County came out of Bexar. But I degress. Texas is a big place and everyone who is in Texas is a Texan. I can be anyplace inside the border of Texas and I feel at home.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:37 PM

GY, good post - you betchya and YEE-haw from one Texan to another.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 928 times
I was born and rasied in amarillo its real texas I now live in washigtion not the dc these people think there ranchers but it aint texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas