Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 11:38 AM

160 posts, read 233,170 times

Advertisements

We have been living in Austin, TX for 3 yrs now. My husband is working at the City of Austin public works as a CAD mananger for Civil 3D software - civil engineering related. It's a decent job. No complaints there. The pay is just OK, but the benefits are good. The problem is that traffic is getting worse by the day, allergies are horrible, things to do like museums, aquarium, zoo etc. are lacking compared to other big cities and rent is going up like crazy. We live just barely in Williamson country, just inside the Austin city limits. - So, we're a part of the more conservative Cedar Park/Round Rock etc. county lines.

I see Fort Worth is considered the most conservative big city, but not sure on jobs and things to do with the family? Also considering Dallas and Arlington - the whole metroplex area depending what you all have to tell me. My husband is a naturalized citizen from Europe. He has 9 yrs experience in his field.

So, traffic compared to here, family friendliness compared to here, allergies compared to here, best job market for my husband? Things will greatly depend if he could find a decent job elsewhere, but just thought to ask.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 11:50 AM

5,442 posts, read 7,735,145 times
Oklahoma City or Tulsa will be more conservative than any city in Texas if that is what you are looking for.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:51 AM

Oklahoma did appeal to me, but I am a bit concerned about tornado frequency there. Conservativeness is one factor, but I also care some about amenities and job opportunities.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:03 PM

Also considering San Antonio.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:31 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimarie View Post
Oklahoma did appeal to me, but I am a bit concerned about tornado frequency there. Conservativeness is one factor, but I also care some about amenities and job opportunities.
Thing is that Dallas County wont do much more for you than Austin in conservativeness.

Fort Worth is a different story, but its not a far right town by any stretch. They have a pretty high score from the Human Rights campaign and its pretty diverse.

The suburbs north of Fort Worth may be more for you. They are very conservative and not diverse at all. I bring up diversity, because a lot of times more diverse can equal more liberal.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:44 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times
I second the OKC/Tulsa suggestion

Dallas

Pros: Great amenities, zoo, parks, aquarium, museums, and a large home school network (I've heard). Plus, slightly better traffic, and an abundance of jobs.

Cons: Allergies are terrible here, COL/rent/home prices are on the rise, and it's not very conservative

Fort Worth/Arlington

Pros: Lots of right-winger tea party types, Great amenities, zoo, parks, museums, and a family friendly centric downtown. Really low COL, and traffic isn't too bad.

Cons: Arlington is declining, allergies are bad, Tarrant County really lacks retail/restaurant options IMO

Old 02-19-2015, 04:54 PM

Still can't get myself to move to the middle of tornado alley with OK.

I saw that the job market in Fort Worth is also supposed to be healthy, right? How big of a concern are the tornados in and around DFW?

Old 02-19-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimarie View Post
Still can't get myself to move to the middle of tornado alley with OK.

I saw that the job market in Fort Worth is also supposed to be healthy, right? How big of a concern are the tornados in and around DFW?
DFW lies within Tornado alley.

Lancaster was struck by an F-4 tornado in 1994:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_1...rnado_outbreak

Fort Worth was struck by an F-3 tornado in 2000:

2000 Fort Worth tornado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More recently, there was the DFW tornado outbreak in 2012. These caused damage in Lancaster, Forney, and Grand Prarie:

April 3, 2012 tornado outbreak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the worst to hit the area around DFW in recent memory was the Granbury tornado in 2013:

May 15

I dont want this to freighten you, but DFW is in tornado alley. If its something youre deathly afraid of, you may want to consider having a safe room if you move here. Its nothing too dramatic, but the area does get tornadoes several times a year even if very few of them hit cities or are very strong. The Granbuy tornado was an F4. For reference, Granbury is 35 miles Southwest of Fort Worth.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:28 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Tornadoes in Oklahoma are FAR worse than any you will find anywhere in Texas! Heck, Central Texas around Jarrell had one of the only F5 tornadoes in Texas' history! (Notice that Lancaster comes up in several of the tornadoes in DFW.)

Fort Worth is the ONLY major metro in Texas that did not vote Democrat in the last presidential election. It's FAR more conservative than Austin, but to say the area is full of "right wing, Tea Party" Pete is an exaggeration.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Tornadoes in Oklahoma are FAR worse than any you will find anywhere in Texas! Heck, Central Texas around Jarrell had one of the only F5 tornadoes in Texas' history! (Notice that Lancaster comes up in several of the tornadoes in DFW.)

Fort Worth is the ONLY major metro in Texas that did not vote Democrat in the last presidential election. It's FAR more conservative than Austin, but to say the area is full of "right wing, Tea Party" Pete is an exaggeration.
You confused me with Ronnie. He made the association with the Tea Party, not me.

The suburbs north of Fort Worth though are some of the most conservative. Collin County has some pretty conservative areas too, but its more diverse than Northern Tarrant County (excluding Fort Worth).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas