Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 03:23 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Welfare has created a safety net that pretty much guarantee they can have food on their table and a roof over their head. There is no motivation for them to improve themselves.

When will this end? Should we as a society help feed them forever because they don't want to?
I am all for a society that cares enough to provide for the unforeseen circumstances for those in our country who live on the fringe, always trying and working hard to get an inch or two ahead with dreams and aspirations as their motivation for a better life for themselves and the future of their children.

I certainly believe that there is poverty in specific populations but I find it very difficult to believe that there are children who are deprived of basic food sustenance; if this is the case then I have to believe that there is an irresponsible adult who is not applying for nor enrolling in every single program (food, healthcare, housing, etc. and there are more than enough to satisfy every need) afforded to them and foremost, their children.

A "safety net" is necessary for 'just in case', however a 'lifestyle choice' is completely another matter. A safety net implies an 'uh-oh", an 'oops' and temporary set of circumstances as opposed to a way of life in concurrent generations...and quite premeditated and intentional; the end goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Of course, if a family is here illegally, they're not likely to qualify for or apply for them.
I can't speak for the Great State of Texas but in Illinois (where Chicago is a "Sanctuary" city and apparently so is Houston) one begins with a single woman and at least one child born on U.S. soil and the benefits (food, medical benefits, Section 8 housing) will be afforded to both mother and child as well as any subsequent children (and there will likely be subsequent children due to strong cultural and religious convictions).

Retreating on Illegal Immigration

With lower incomes, illegals rely more on welfare programs. CIS says in Texas, "58 percent of illegal households collect some sort of welfare," with "49 percent using food assistance and 41 percent using Medicaid." In California and Illinois, reports CIS, "55 percent use welfare."

Retreating on Illegal Immigration - Cal Thomas - Page full

Sanctuary Cities: What are they?

Some sanctuary cities (e.g., Chicago and San Francisco) even receive millions of dollars in federal State Criminal Alien Assistance Program grants to compensate for the cost of jailing illegal alien criminals--even though city sanctuary policies act to encourage illegal alien settlement.

Sanctuary city, sanctuary, sanctuary cities, sanctuary city list, list of sanctuary cities, list, Ohio, jobs, OJJPAC, justice, illegal alien, immigration, amnesty, undocumented, ICE, NYC, IIRIRA, Huston, Chicago, Phoenix, Steve Salvi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 04:54 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer2014 View Post
How'd that work out for Mitt Romney? Passing up Romney for Obama was probably the greatest mistake ever made in this country.
Romney wasn't conservative. It would be nice to see the Republicans nominate one again some time.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:07 PM

227 posts, read 385,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Romney wasn't conservative. It would be nice to see the Republicans nominate one again some time.
Thank you. My case is fully made.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:25 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,138 times
Quote:
Yeah we should not bother with computers or technology. They don't achieve anything we can't do without em and kids won't use them in the real world. We really shouldn't even have calculators. Just a waste of money.
Yeah, the mere presence of an iPad will magically create education.

Seriously, to make that assertion you have to at least describe what specific thing the iPad does that actually achieves some educational objective. Since it's primarily a consumption device, not a creation tool, that case is not as easy as you might think.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:56 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I am all for a society that cares enough to provide for the unforeseen circumstances for those in our country who live on the fringe, always trying and working hard to get an inch or two ahead with dreams and aspirations as their motivation for a better life for themselves and the future of their children.

I certainly believe that there is poverty in specific populations but I find it very difficult to believe that there are children who are deprived of basic food sustenance; if this is the case then I have to believe that there is an irresponsible adult who is not applying for nor enrolling in every single program (food, healthcare, housing, etc. and there are more than enough to satisfy every need) afforded to them and foremost, their children.

A "safety net" is necessary for 'just in case', however a 'lifestyle choice' is completely another matter. A safety net implies an 'uh-oh", an 'oops' and temporary set of circumstances as opposed to a way of life in concurrent generations...and quite premeditated and intentional; the end goal.

I can't speak for the Great State of Texas but in Illinois (where Chicago is a "Sanctuary" city and apparently so is Houston) one begins with a single woman and at least one child born on U.S. soil and the benefits (food, medical benefits, Section 8 housing) will be afforded to both mother and child as well as any subsequent children (and there will likely be subsequent children due to strong cultural and religious convictions).
The "safety net" have created a generation of freeloaders who have no interest to improve their condition. They do want the "benefit" to increase though.

Is 30 years of welfare enough? Or we should feed the grandchildren too?

So when is enough enough?

Old 03-21-2015, 05:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What if unemployment isn't enough for a family of three?
what if, what if what if...Evidently Texans don't live in fear of the what ifs. Part of the reason I am planning on moving my Kids there.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:37 PM

227 posts, read 385,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Yeah, the mere presence of an iPad will magically create education.

Seriously, to make that assertion you have to at least describe what specific thing the iPad does that actually achieves some educational objective. Since it's primarily a consumption device, not a creation tool, that case is not as easy as you might think.
Tablets are a learning tool. I'm not a student but I imagine it would be great to have dozens of textbooks on one iPad. I'm not a student but I've found some of the apps that are available for learning foreign languages are amazingly useful for me as an adult. I wish I'd had access to those when I was a student.

I imagine being able to research things from my tablet sitting in a classroom would be pretty cool. It looks to me like the technology can make learning more effective and more fun, if it is used properly.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:47 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,931 times
Hard for me to believe a state that is routinely ridiculed for being one of the fattest states is now suddenly also being branded as "food insecure" now.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
No disagreement from me. Both are true. I think a supportive home environment is fundamental to a child's success. A child who lives in a chaotic environment with negligible parental support of their education will have a much tougher time making the most of their educational opportunities.

The problem is that so many people want to say that money won't solve the problem. It's true that money alone can't make a child take advantage of education. But lack of money makes it difficult to provide a decent educational opportunity.

The current tea party agenda of defunding public education is a bad idea because you cannot provide an effective education without resources. So unless you believe that having a large uneducated populace is a good idea, the only solution is to impose taxes and fund public education.
We already do that.

The U.S. ranks fifth in spending per student. Only Austria, Luxembourg, Norway, and Switzerland spend more per student. And even though Texas is one of the states with lower spending per student, our students still rank 24th on test scores - dead center. So many more states are spending more - with lower results. Money alone isn't the answer.
American Schools vs. the World: Expensive, Unequal, Bad at Math

I have mentioned this before, and gotten several private comments agreeing with me, but this point hasn't gotten a lot of play. Ten percent of our students ARE STILL LEARNING ENGLISH. And even if they can speak English, for many of them, it is a second language.
https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=96

Quote:
Latino students overall have some of the highest dropout rates and the lowest share of the population with a bachelor's degree. The language barrier does not affect the majority, but for those who enter school as English learners the challenges are even greater.
U.S. Bilingual Education Challenge: Students Learning English As Second Language At Risk

And get this - in case you missed this news bulletin - Hispanics are now the largest demographic group in Texas schools. They now outnumber non Hispanic white kids.
Hispanics Now Majority In Texas Public Schools, Districts Assess If They Are Ready For Change

And 13.1 percent of those kids are from families with illegal aliens as parents. So...these families definitely are not tapping into state and federal benefits programs for the most part - in spite of the dollars available - because they are flying under the radar.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
The "safety net" have created a generation of freeloaders who have no interest to improve their condition. They do want the "benefit" to increase though.

Is 30 years of welfare enough? Or we should feed the grandchildren too?

So when is enough enough?
You're asking me? Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas