Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 13,150 times

Advertisements

Looking for feed back on moving to the Lake Whitney area, best town, recreation, churches, acceptance of new comers, ect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 06:26 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,221,350 times
Personally, I like the Bosque County side of Lake Whitney more than the Hill County side. The reasons are:

It's prettier and more hilly and rolling.

Property taxes are lower.

The population is half of what Hill County is and the land area is nearly the same.

As far as either county goes, churches are many and all denominations. People are accepting of newcomers as far as I know.

Boating, fishing, hunting, and golf are enjoyed in both counties.

One town I really don't care for is the county seat of Hill, Hillsboro. The town itself is dirty looking and quite run down in many parts. The court house though is wonderful and a great place to check out. The architecture from way back when is so lovely. Interstate 35 runs right through Hillsboro and therefore, that brings more people to Hill County. I prefer no interstates nearby.

Personally, I don't want to live in a town per se anywhere, but near Clifton, Meridian, or even Whitney is okay. It depends if you like more people or less. If more is the answer, Whitney is okay. Even the outskirts of said city are growing pretty fast and the guarded and gated community of White Bluff is about 8 miles from Whitney. Personally, I would not want to live there and have to drive by a guard every time I was going home.

Unfortunately, the more people around, the more a town gets trashed. Why in the world people can't keep their land and yards neat and clean is beyond me. Oh well.

Well, I have to get ready for work. If you have any more question, I'd be glad to help if I can as I am fairly familiar with both counties on Lake Whitney.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:11 PM

Thanks appreciate your feed back and the useful informatiom

Old 01-14-2008, 04:17 PM

238 posts, read 763,909 times
I didn't have any problems with Hillsboro. But Lake Whitney's got some great boating.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 9,998 times
I moved from NYC to Lake Whitney this year.

Keep in mind if you need an office job, or in my case, I teach high school...you'll need to commute a long ways each day, most likely. Waco is a 45 - 60 minute drive each way for me, but very direct. DFW is 65 minutes to the outskirts on Highway 174/67. If you need I-35 North, your easiest hookup will be Hillsboro. If you need I-35 South, you're best taking FM 933 through town to FM 2114 in Aquilla and hooking up with it in the town of West.

Shopping isn't an issue. We have a great Brookshires and David's Supermarket, and we have a Walmart and a huge Hillsboro Outlet with tons and tons of stores in Hillsboro, only 15 minutes away. The area is a bit devoid of things to do unless you're a huge enthusiast of fishing and outdoorsy water sport activities.

I live on the Hill/Bosque border of Whitney. Both sides are very pretty. I don't think one is prettier than the other. Bosque depresses me slightly in that it's so deserted looking, although it is gorgeous in its own way.

Additionally, a lot of the cheaper areas in Whitney are unincorporated parts of town with unpaved roads. In the summer, it's no big deal, but this time of year it's hell on earth trying to drive on them, considering they turn to mud/stone soup.

They're very very kind to newcomers. I came out here because of heartbreak back in NY and they've been most sympathetic and kind to me since I've arrived. Most of our neighbors are from all over the US. The guy I've been dating who is my neighbor in Whitney is an out-of-towner from the West Coast. You'll meet loads of interesting cultured folks here, all extremely nice.

Don't know what age group you're in, but if you're 18 - 35 and totally looking to make new friends, you'll have a difficult time around these parts. The kids seem to skip town the second they graduate high school for the greener pastures of the outside world. They'll either come back when they get older, or they come to retire.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:02 PM

Your feed back is most helpful. Fishing and a granddaughter in Weatherford are the main reasons we are considering the Lake Whitney area. As for age we are retired so plenty of free time for enjoying both.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 4,298 times
Angry Blighted area

The Whitney area is neglected in more ways than one. The infastructure is lacking and moneys go for pet projects, the city manager or chamber of commerce, favors. The law enforcement, both city and county is non-responsive to outright violations of the law citing, lack of funds to enforce. The city newspaper, Lakelander, is a booster publication, avoiding any important issues or complex problems for fear of being controversial. So, reporting is limited to weddings and deaths and advertising.

The county consists of retirees who will not fix up properties for fear of prop. tax increases. There are drug and alcohol problems with non enforcement of the reported complaints. It is obvious that the law is on the side of the criminal element. Reported violations and activities require action and efforts that the sherriffs dept. is not willing to act on, and report is the most any violation receives. This is a city and county government that is stuck in the mud, because all the funds are exhausted.

The roads are not maintained and when one is repaired it is not done right and costs more in the long run. The abandoned pet problem is so severe that packs of dogs roam the area and become hit and killed on roads. Then their carcuses lie on the roadway until they decompose many weeks later.

This is truly a miserable place to live if you like to improve your surroundings. All monies are misplaced and never reach the public facilities. The public park is closed much of the time. The town is comprised mostly by local government employees and government entitlement programs. Real Estate agents are the next selling promises of turn around properties that the city and county will not let happen.

Pass on this blighted area because it's time has come and gone and the criminal element has moved in and taken over!

Last edited by p9tx; 02-05-2008 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: syntax

Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 PM

238 posts, read 763,909 times
Check out that lake sometime. I'll be bringing my boat. It's also got great fishing, too, if you are into that sort of thing. All my friends still rave about it.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,130 times
Default Whitney, Texas

My family and I are relocating to Whitney. I am having problems finding rental properties anywhere around the area. If you know of any, please let me know. Thanks!!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,118 times
Smile Love the White Bluff area.

We recently purchased property in the White Bluff area. The area is lovely. The residents and weekenders are wonderful. I note a concern with a gated community, but the people that man the gate are friendly and welcoming. There are a couple of golf courses, pools, tennis courts, and a marina. The property is well-maintained, and the POA is great. Depending on your age, this is a very nice option. The people that live there are mostly retired, or getting there. However, a school bus runs through the property, and there is a playground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas