Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,247 times

Advertisements

My family and I reside in Houston...born and raised. Were AA with German, French and Jewish ancestry... But are brown toned people. It's currently Spring Break here and I thought of taking a drive to the Texas Hill Country Bandera County area..or a place with large green hills. We've never driven to West Texas any further than San Antonio or Austin during the relays. I know there's racism and prejudice in every race but I don't want to subject my kids to unnecessary racism in the name of a trip. How are black people treated in those rural areas? Are they wanted there?
Have you heard of any experiences or have any first hand accounts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 03:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,974,683 times
Bandera County is far from Austin, so I'm not sure this is the best place to ask. San Antonio might be better.

I expect it is probably more conservative, but it is not "West Texas" by any means. You will probably be fine.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:21 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,266,613 times
Having lived in West Texas and had family living in East Texas in my experience West Texas is actually less racist than East Texas. (I'm not including Houston these areas were deeper east) Now I'm blond haired and blue eyed so have no firsthand knowledge but my ex sister-in-law is Hispanic/Asian and they experienced a lot of issues. I also visited in-laws in a different town and it was sadly obvious there as well. Can't attest for all of West Texas but I suspect you would be just fine there.

Bandera isn't West Texas though. It's outside of San Antonio and is fairly touristy as the "Cowboy Capital of the World" so I would think they get visitors of all shades. The bluebonnets are out already according to a friend that drove from Houston to Bandera last week and it's been so rainy it should be a nice drive. Have a great time wherever you end up going!

Old 03-18-2015, 12:08 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,981,507 times
It's all a toss up. I've never had issues in Texas but that's because I'm white and had always called BS on people claiming racism until I started dating women of color and realized it up close. It's there and present in all of Texas.

Heck, I remember how my own family they thought Bohemian Czech was too exotic. My uncle married a woman who would be seen as white elsewhere but because she has natural black hair, this meant she was "something". So OP I do understand your concerns even as what's considered an "ethic white", because unless your blonde blue eyed racism will rear its ugly head in Texas. But the good news is that it's few and far between and the insistence on maintaining a polite demeanor will deter most acts of racism. I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy your time.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,768,564 times
Speaking as a black Texan, I can assure you that you will have no problems at all. The residents of the Hill Country are overwhelmingly white, but visitors come in all colors and from all walks of life.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:40 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,925,465 times
My guess is green is the only color that matters in the Hill Country.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:32 PM

766 posts, read 1,250,985 times
I didn't have problems at all. I worked west of Austin for a year and they treated me quite well, maybe cause I was a UT student, but in all it was a good experience. Dating on the other hand was a different story.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:06 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,768,564 times
Living in an area where there are only a handful of people of the same race can be difficult, in one way or another.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:28 PM

268 posts, read 356,526 times
Well, im not black, but im a light hispanic and frequent Bandera and the hill country pretty often. Great bunch of people.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:55 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,442,415 times
"What was your experience as a person of color in the Texas Hill Country?"

Your experience is what you make out of it. It's all up to you. Racism is like stupidity, we'll never get rid of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas