U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:42 PM

3,494 posts, read 13,373,640 times

Advertisements

ON POST! Should be your NUMBER ONE CHOICE. Free electric-that alone should make this a no brainer decision. Plus, with him inevitably getting deployed, and you with a young son, you will be safer on post, and have quick access to CRDAMC for your medical needs, and have a "built-in" support network right there...but of course yall need to be married first or yall wont qualify for post housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiagrl06 View Post
My fiance just got transfered to Ft. Hood and we have a 1 year old son we are young and i will have no friends or anything out there so we are trying to find something kid friendly but also for us.. anyone know a good place?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:42 PM

7 posts, read 22,470 times
yeah were going to be married .. the only this is the wait is like a year...

Old 08-02-2009, 04:31 PM

158 posts, read 431,688 times
Georgiagrl, the housing office will quote you a very long wait for housing. In the nine years I resided there I never saw it take as long as the quoted~ever.

It really is worth a try for the reasons Notam described. Utility bills for the area can be astronomical by standards elsewhere. If you are renting you are pretty much at the mercy of the landlord as to if they have properly insulated...etc.

I always encourage those that are engaged to military to go ahead and tie the knot. There are many benefits that are extended to you and your child through your Husband's service that can't be duplicated during the engagement or by living together. Good luck!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,663 times
Default Killeen

I moved to Killeen in Jan of 2005 from Miami and found it to be pretty laid back. Almost everywhere you go nowadays if you look for trouble you will surely find it.It all depends on where in Killeen you decide to live. We live on the North side of town in the 76542 zip code area. We find it to be very quiet. There are activities for the kids to get involved in. There is gang activity but have never experienced any. Housing is very affordable, there are nice rental properties in nice residential areas. Good luck and where ever you decide to make your home,Texas is not a bad choice.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg5504 View Post
Our family of 3 is being relocated to Ft Hood. Unfortunately we are going to have to wait for on base housing. While searching for temporary apartments I'm finding the surrounding towns a concern for raising a 2 yr old little girl. I've examined Killeen (crime) & Temple (a little expensive) and then decided to ask y'all for some expert advice. Obviously a major concern is recreation and good neighborhoods for our daughter to play in. I also have to take into account that I could be deployed overseas leaving my husband & daughter behind for a bit. This may make things tight for a bit depending on job opportunities for my husband. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You can find housing in Copperas Cove.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:34 AM

3 posts, read 6,413 times
my husband is stationed in fort campbell kentucky but will be changing duty stations in november 2011 to fort hood. i need to know where cities are the good areas i love walmart and i want access to parks, shopping areas etc. please help cant drive there to look around it s a 17 hr drive

Old 11-30-2010, 10:47 AM

8,564 posts, read 10,190,924 times
dknl25, open up a google maps and search for 76543 zip code. That's Killeen, at the main gate to 'Hood. Zoom out a bit and you'll see a U.S. highway, <190> running east/west. It runs, generally from Belton to Copperas Cove. This will be your home. You'll have a wide selection of apartments or Realtors, mobile homes and shanty's.

There's plenty of shopping, malls, big box stores, WalMarts and groceries, the principal of which is H.E.B. If you can't find it here you'll have to go to NewYorkCity. Or Austin, an hour south. Or Dallas 2 hours north. Or Houston, 3 hours southeast. You can get an Amtrak out of Dallas, which stops in Temple, the other side of Belton.

Biz 190 is party row in Harker Heights. If you can't find a bar there you need to open your eyes.

I would suggest that unless you're looking for post housing that you'll want to look more >south< of 190. To the east end of Fort Hood you'll see Belton Lake with parks, nice homes, life in general, and Stillhouse Hollow Lake. Belton is the county seat. Just west of Belton, you'll pass Dog Ridge, the last hill you'll see until you head back east. East of Stillhouse Hollow, across I-35, is a little artsy craftsy village in Salado, where my dad was born and raised.

Check out the Texas Travel Guide, so by time you get here you'll know where you are.

We'll be glad to help answer questions as best we can, good luck.

Thanks for your commitment and service to the protection of our country and citizens.

Welcome home...

Last edited by Willsson; 11-30-2010 at 11:04 AM..

Old 06-20-2011, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,413 times
Default pcsing to fort hood

my huband will be pcsing to fort hood i'm pregnant with our first child and a stay at home house wife we wantto live in a nice area thats not to far from post but dont want to live in a area with high crime, drugs etc. alo i need to be in an area where i can get a job and go back to college. what are ome suggestions and whatare some places that have rental homes?

Old 06-20-2011, 06:07 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,190,924 times
Take a look at a google map @ zip code 76543. This will put you near the main gate of Fort Hood and in the city of Killeen. Zoom out for a broader view.

You'll see U.S. Hiway 190, from Lampasas to Temple. The area is made up of those towns that collectively are an area metro of over 200,000 citizens. Your neighborhood will be from Copperas Cove to Harker Heights. Some recommend Copperas Cove, none recommend Harker Heights... the local bar strip. I've seen plenty of military at the WalMart in Temple, a 20 or so minute drive.

Should you choose the Killeen area, you'll probably want something SOUTH of US 190. There's plenty of strip malls and big box stores.

The area has Central Texas College and Texas A&M Central Texas (http://www.ct.tamus.edu/departments/general/mapdirections.php - broken link)

There's a call center in Killeen that used to be Sallie Mae (Obama shut it down) but now has other services. They frequently advertise on Craigslist. You might search the Work in Texas job board - the state sponsored work force commission. You can sign up or just browse jobs... see the menu. I understand the post does have opportunities for military wives, you'll have to check with someone who knows.

It's pretty hot this year. Be sure your car has AC... or get one that does before you get here.

Last edited by Willsson; 06-20-2011 at 06:16 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,590 times
Default moving soon

my fiance is scheduled to return from deployment sometime in june-no positive date yet. he will be stationed at ft hood, and i have been looking online for a small place maybe with an acre or two as we dream of owning a horse. Where should i look for property of this type? also, i am a registered nurse. any suggestions as to where i should look for work? I dont want my poor husband to have to drive forever to report for duty. am i asking too much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas