Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 12:27 PM

142 posts, read 212,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
This is what I was thinking. Not a whole lot of difference between a "conservative" Baptist & a "conservative" Islamic except for the messenger.
From a theologist's eye, all three abrahamic religions are basically diffrent editions of same philosophy and people really need to chill about their differences and connect through their common values. However, if humans were able to understand that then we wouldn't be following organized religions to begin with.

From a parent's eye, all we want is for kids to go to colleges that are safe, inclusive, intellectually stimulating and affordable so kids can move on to professions that pay their bills and fulfil their creative needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 02:19 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,597,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomfielding View Post
I ran into my long time tax accountant this afternoon at Starbucks and we started chatting about things. He was concerned about his daughter wishing to attend Baylor University. She wants to go because she likes their scholar program and all of her friends are going there.

He has no objection as Baylor is a good school but he was wondering if it's even safe for a head covering Arab girl to go to a zero diversity institution as Baylor and live in a town like Waco. She was born and brought up here in Frisco but town and schools are very diverse here.

I don't know much about Waco or Baylor but it is common knowledge that it's a VERY conservative school and Waco is a rough town. Any opinions?
By Frisco do you mean the city of Frisco north of Dallas or the city of San Francisco?

Because Waco and Baylor are probably as diverse as Frisco TX. There are Arab students going to Baylor with head scarves and are moslem girls at the local HS where I teach who wear head scarves. I doubt Waco is really any different than Frisco. The city overall is a lot poorer than Frisco but pretty diverse.

Baylor is a pretty overtly Christian and Baptist organization and that is probably a bigger issue than diversity for a student who doesn't fit the dominant religion at Baylor. It isn't like going to public school. Religion will creep into every aspect of school life from mandatory chapel to prayer before football games. But if she is aware of that then fine. She will basically find two types of students at Baylor. The overtly Christian evangelical ones who are about half the student body and the secular students who are about half the student body and just chose Baylor because it is a decent school and they couldn't get into UT or Vanderbilt or whatever higher-ranked school may have interested them.

I do agree with Explorer on this one point. There are probably 100-times more students at Baylor who are there because they didn't get into UT or A&M, than there are students who settled for UT or A&M because they couldn't get into Baylor.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:35 PM

142 posts, read 212,481 times
I don't know much about his daughter but father is pretty chill and had no objection to Chappel attendance as he himself volunteers for interfaith groups and finds it enlightening.

It's good to hear about progress in Waco. I went there only once and that was 18 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: