Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:30 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times

Advertisements

I won't be camping, but will be in the area solo for a few days to see the park and surrounding areas, sometime around next week.
Wondering if any of you are familiar with the park and/or towns nearby. Always wanted to visit the park. Probably staying in cheapo mom-and-pop motels the whole time. Not from Texas, (and never been to this part of Texas), looking forward to the road trip from our home in western New Mexico. Definitely doing this on the cheap, or as cheap as possible. It's just me, in a non-4WD car. I'm a middle-aged male history and geography teacher on his spring break.
Any suggestions or tips for stuff to see or do either in or out of the park would be appreciated, or even good places to get a bite. I also have a passport, if a trip to a nearby Mexican town is suggested (and would generally be safe?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 11:02 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Chisos Mountain area is nice and there is camping and a lodge (which is probably booked). The closest towns are Marfa, Alpine and Terlingua where you may be able to find a motel. Terlingua is much closer and I don't know about lodging there. You could reserve a spot for camping and take a tent. There are other campgrounds beside Chisos but that is the most scenic. As far the camping area there is hiking and horseback riding or at least there was when I went (In the 80's). In any case you can google for more info.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:30 AM

170 posts, read 299,154 times
Ojinaga is the only border city in the region. You would cross from presidio. I used to love "o.j.", but i haven't crossed the border in about 6 years. You will get all kinds of comments, but in the end it's your decision. If you've never been to mexico and want to cross it off your list then go during the day and stay sober and aware. If you're driving through del rio then i would suggest that ciudad acuna might feel a little safer and touristy. In fact they would love to have your tourist dollars there.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:37 AM

170 posts, read 299,154 times
As far as lodging in the area of big bend, if you don't have reservations at one of the lodges then you will have a long drive. There are a couple of scruffy looking motels in terlingua (easter egg motel??). I think khiva lodge is another one. There is an "upscale" golf resort in lajitas. Arriving on the weekend during spring break will complicate things.

Seriously, think about getting a cheap small tent and sleeping bag and camp at chisos basin campground. You won't need to cook because you can eat all your meals at the lodge.

Have fun. It's a great park and unique experience.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borgerboy View Post
Seriously, think about getting a cheap small tent and sleeping bag and camp at chisos basin campground. You won't need to cook because you can eat all your meals at the lodge.

Have fun. It's a great park and unique experience.
Now THIS sounds very do-able. I may just do this. Thanks for the tip. I was thinking about not camping because where we live in NM is super rural and I really don't need to camp to "get away" from a city. But this sounds like a good idea and I may change my thinking about this. I've got tons of camping gear.

Last edited by kpl1228; 03-26-2015 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 02:16 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,762 times
If you just want to enjoy the area, don't forget Fort Davis and the surrounding area. It's not on the cheap side but it's not as much as some others.

Welcome to Fort Davis, Texas

The camping at the state park is very reasonable.

Wherever you choose, enjoy yourself.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:31 AM

751 posts, read 1,482,334 times
Without reservations, spring break is a tough time to find lodging down there. Tent camping *MAY* be a little tight too, but if you go prepared to tent camp you will likely find places to do so. Actual lodging is pretty limited around there.

The suggestion to hit Ft Davis while you are down there is a GREAT idea. Google "McDonald Observatory" and plan around a star party if you can. A little more lodging is available in Ft Davis, but tent camping is available too. While it has been a few years since I went to the Observatory, it was always an absolute blast to do so.

Have fun, and good luck!

Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borgerboy View Post
Ojinaga is the only border city in the region. You would cross from presidio. I used to love "o.j.", but i haven't crossed the border in about 6 years. You will get all kinds of comments, but in the end it's your decision. If you've never been to mexico and want to cross it off your list then go during the day and stay sober and aware. If you're driving through del rio then i would suggest that ciudad acuna might feel a little safer and touristy. In fact they would love to have your tourist dollars there.
Not entirely true. Boquillas has opened up again as an international crossing and is a great place to while away an afternoon, with cold and cheap beer as well as cheap (and good!) Mexican food. You can also visit the hot springs nearby and roam around the village, buying their handiwork, looking at some of the buildings, and taking pictures. Jose Falcon's restaurant now has very simple hotel rooms behind their expanded back patio for about $40/night. Lydia and Bernardo run the restaurant and hotel, and they gave me a tour last year when I was there. It is safe and clean.

In Terlingua, consider staying at La Posada Milagro in the ghost town, run by the famous (infamous?) Mimi Webb-Miller. It is a beautiful, homey lodge with just four rooms. http://www.laposadamilagro.net/home.html The food at Espresso y Poco Mas is good, as it is also at Starlight Theater and La Kiva (they may not have opened back up yet, as their owner was murdered and they were doing lots of renovations).

We LOVE that region of Texas.....we try to go yearly, with the last time being last spring and we are going again soon. We crossed over into Boquillas and rode the truck into town (years ago, we rode the donkeys but not this time)....a passport IS required but it is an easy and safe crossing (and do NOT lose the paper they give you at the Mexican immigration station in Boquillas or you won't get back across). You get to it from inside Big Bend National Park.

While in the area, you MUST tour the national park and the state park, if you have time; hike in the Santa Elena Canyon area -- gorgeous views! If you stay on the roads in the park, you'll be fine -- no need for 4WD for them, as they're nicely paved. You can also ride horses, do a rafting trip, and do a jeep trip. Definitely grab a beer and hang out on the porch of the trading post next door to the Starlight Theater and watch the sun set over the Mexican mountains, while visiting with the characters who are the locals. Explore the historic Terlingua cemetery.

Lajitas was boring to me, although the patio and food at the resort were nice. The drive between Terlingua and Presidio on River Road, however, is spectacular! Marfa and Marathon are neat towns to explore. Go up to McDonald Observatory near Fort Davis. If you're a bit farther north and near it, go swimming at Balmorhea State Park (a spring fed pool that's always 72-76 degrees) And when you come through Alpine, stop at Alicia's and get food: Alicia. YUM.

Above all else, just relax and enjoy yourself. It's definitely a different way of life out there!!!!

Old 04-01-2015, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 12,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
If you just want to enjoy the area, don't forget Fort Davis and the surrounding area. It's not on the cheap side but it's not as much as some others.

Welcome to Fort Davis, Texas

The camping at the state park is very reasonable.

Wherever you choose, enjoy yourself.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:11 AM

thanks all. Great advice, I read them all.
Fort Davis was fine, did the tour of McDonald Observatory. Was very good.
But along with the trip to Boquillas (I did eat at Falcon's) and the Santa Elena Canyon, surprisingly my favorite part of my road trip was the day and night I spent in Alpine on my bicycle. Harry Tinaja's was great, with an acoustic jam night.
Thanks for all of the good tips. Great road trip. I did not make it to the Big Bend Lodge in the middle of the park. Next time, with my wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas