U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 03:17 PM

89 posts, read 209,827 times

Advertisements

I moved to Florida three years ago from Long Island, NY. I am now looking for a new place to move because I am not happy where I live in FL and would like to buy another home in another area but it is just too expensive now. I love the weather, but I don't like the people at least in the community that I live in. I find the people to be too clicky and it drives me crazy and there is always some sort of B/S that is always going on. I just want to find a nice neighborhood with nice, down to earth people (if possible). Anyway, I decided on Texas because of the warm weather and home prices. I am jewish and my husband is catholic, so I would want a neighborhood that is mixed. I would like a 4 or 5 bedroom home fairly new between 150K - 200K. I don't know anything about Texas, so I don't know which neighborhood to even start with. Also, my husband is a project manager for an air conditioning company (commercial and residential). Will it be hard for him to find a job in that field and what is the pay like there. Thanks. I am sure I will have more questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 11:01 PM

1,722 posts, read 257,703 times
In San Antonio Standard Pacific Homes has homes in the price range (most below $170,000).

http://www.standardpacifichomes.com/findhome/FindHomeNeighborhood.aspx?DIVID=10006 (broken link)

The subdivions I advise you to look at are the ones in far west/northwest San Antonio and the ones in Cibolo. Cibolo is a nice little suburb in far northeast San Antonio. The schools are good (SCUC ISD) and Cibolo itself is diverse.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:43 PM

5,347 posts, read 9,138,133 times
One thing I can say is if you're trying to get away from "clicky" people, you might look at Houston and San Antonio over Dallas...

Old 11-13-2006, 10:08 PM

591 posts, read 1,715,360 times
^this coming from someone living in Sugarland lol

Old 11-13-2006, 10:58 PM

1,067 posts, read 3,933,388 times
Hey did you happen to live near Geneva, near Orlando? That sounds just like where we lived. I am from Texas and moved back home because of all the shanigans that went on.

I will tell you that I don't think it would be too hard to find a job here. Just get his resume out and see what comes in. You also asked about wanting a neighborhood that is diverse as far as being Jewish and Catholic Mix. That is what is differernt imo here in Texas than it is East. My father in law is from Rhode Island comes from a long line of staunch Irish Roman Catholic and basically grew up on a block full of Irish people and my brother in laws wife who is from St. Louis talked like that too when she moved to Texas according to neighborhoods. She grew up in an italian area of St. Louis if I remember correctly. Neighborhoods aren't stressed like that here. You do though have diversity and many people of different back grounds around DFW. I will tell you though that some towns will be more of one ethnicty such as the town I was born in Brenham which has a heavy influence of German and other eastern european countries. Many towns were settled in central Texas by people of eastern european descent and today they still have many of the same customs and traditions.

As far as breakdown of diversity DFW has a huge mexican american, scots-irish american, african american and asian american population. I believe that DFW touts to be the largest amount of scot-irish descent in all the south and that african americans have a huge middle class and is considered a mecca in southern Dallas area, which I read on a internet site called Blacks in Dallas.

You will really like living here if your husband can get placed this way in DFW.
I can completely understand what you are talking about. It was hard for us there and we kept thinking when we got there it had to get better but it only got worse. Lots of drama it seemed. I think we too picked the wrong neighborhood. It was a beautiful one too and we lived on acerage but still the neighbors made it hard to feel accepted.
I wish you well and hope you find your little slice of heaven.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:34 AM

If you're looking for down to earth people, San Antonio is your place.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:34 PM

14,874 posts, read 24,004,047 times
jorobda,

There is a large company in the Dallas area that does residential and commercial HVAC work that I know of and I noticed on one of their vehicles yesterday they were hiring. The name of the company is Airtron. The other I know of is called TDMechanical - United Mechanical but I don't know if they are hiring. They have both been around the Dallas area for YEARS!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 04:53 PM

Airtron is also in San Antonio.

Moderator cut: no strictly commercial web sites

Old 11-15-2006, 02:10 PM

5,347 posts, read 9,138,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan#1 View Post
^this coming from someone living in Sugarland lol
I've lived in three separate areas in the Houston metro and the attitudes in SL aren't really any different from the rest of the Houston metro so not sure what you mean... as ethnically diverse as SL is it's kinda hard to be clicky even if you wanted to

Old 11-19-2006, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 5,850 times
There are many nice areas in & around Houston. The population is diverse, so you shouldn't have trouble finding a neighborhood to your liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas