Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:21 PM

3 posts, read 4,629 times

Advertisements

I'm 24 years old, from Ireland and I'm heading out to Hill Country for the Summer, by myself. I'll be staying in Stonewall, Tx for the duration of my time. Just wondering about what Bars, restaurants, towns, places and anything I should see during my stay there. Stuff that people believe I shouldn't miss out on.
I'm huge in to Country music(not bro country), so I plan on trying to get a few concerts while I'm here.

Thanks,

Stevie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 09:16 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,732,451 times
Is there any particular reason why you are staying in Stonewall? Fredericksburg seems to have the most bars/restaraurants in the Hill Country (however, they tend to cater to older couples w/ a 'Texas German kitsch' flavor esp. for tourists) and that is not alot.

Rural Texas is not hostile to foreigners with strange accents, but don't be surprised if people may not know what to say or act around you - or what are your intentions. You may quickly get tired of every local asking, "Why are you here?"

Personally, I would feel better for your welfare if you were staying in Austin, particular in the central city. Trips to the Hill Country could be nice afternoon drives, but I fear you might wind up feeling quite isolated. Very cosmopolitan, decent transit, plethora of bars, restaurants, swimming pools, and young people (as well as a local Irish consulate). Many cultural attractions including the Texas Capitol and the University of Texas. There are also many inexpensive places to stay such as hostels, cooperatives, sublets, and other intentional communities.

Please consider my suggestions as well as do research on what Austin has to offer. Good luck!

Last edited by ImOnFiya; 04-08-2015 at 09:33 PM..

Old 04-09-2015, 07:13 AM

I had been looking for accommodation for the Summer in Frdericksburg but was unable to find any. So I came across something in Stonewall and Jackson City and that's how I ended up there. I'm from a rural County in Ireland called Tyrone. Which is nestled at the foothills of the Sperrin Mountains. So I'm right well used to isolation.

Myself and big Cities don't seem to get on. They're alrite for wee day trips but as the man says, Country life is a lot calmer. I spent a Summer in New York City 2 years ago and ended up getting mugged on 10th avenue. Spent that night in hospital with a perforated ear drum and a deep laceration to my lip. I've zero tolerance to illegal drugs and it's death dealers, so I quite like the idea of walking places without being asked if I wanted to buy some. Don't get me wrong, I loved New York. But I'm just the type of fella who enjoys a quiet area and not the hecticness that Manhattan has to offer.

Thanks CptRn, I knew about Enchanted Rock and Luckenbach is one of the main reasons why I chose Hill Country.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:25 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,247,899 times
Sounds like the Hill Country is exactly your speed. From what you wrote, you will love Luckenbach. It's just a few old buildings in the woods, but folks love it, and it is laid back in it's own unique way. Fredericksburg has a lot of things to see and do for it's size. Also check out Wildseed Farms. They supply the state with wildflowers you will find along our highways right about now. If you are arriving in the summer, they will likely be gone, however. There is also a state park near Fredericksburg where you can watch a swarm of bats leave from an old abandoned train tunnel. Welcome to Tx!

Old 04-09-2015, 09:53 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,969,049 times
You should also check out the dancing and music at Gruene Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-09-2015, 11:45 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,934,757 times
Texas Hill Country Wineries

There are several wineries in the area. Since you won't be that far away, you might also consider day trips to San Antonio & Austin to hit up some of the museums/historic sites. And BBQ places.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:46 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll definitely be looking forward to getting around all those places.

Definitely looking forward to getting to San Antonio to visit the Alamo. That general Hill Country area seems to have a lot to offer visitors like myself!

Old 04-10-2015, 02:24 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,554,190 times
Try to squeeze in some BBQ when you visit.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:29 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,955,635 times
maybe you could do some river tubing in New Braunfels......I think I tubed the Comal when the drought was real horrible and it was lots of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas