U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-08-2015, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Detroit, Michigan
16 posts, read 24,989 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

So, we're looking to move to Texas, after doing all of my research and comparing so many places to one another, Texas seems like just the right fit all things considered. We did choose Denver first but the cost of living is outrageous and we're simple people who want a nice city to live in. We do enjoy the outdoors, heat is no issue (escaping a little humidity would be great). We would like to be able to do some natural/ outdoors activities on a regular basis.

I should mention, we are a same-sex couple, so we would really like to choose an area which would believe in equality and where we would feel at home. While I do understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and no place will be perfect, there is bound to be just the right place for us. One with more people who are friendly, outgoing and generally accepting of others, no matter what their differences. I've read of so many people stating how forward-thinking and democratic Dallas can be, and read the same for both Austin and SA. I think people as a whole are moving forward.

I work with persons with special needs/ developmental disability and autism, my husband is retired from the US Air Force and now works for Staples/OfficeMax. While we don't make millions, we enjoy what we do. I'd love to start my own business, to be honest. A health food/nutrition location for those like-minded. I do enjoy my current job and could easily continue with it as well.

My question to all you amazing people is, which city would you recommend for the following:
-Cost of living
-Open minded
-Big city with a comfortable feel
-Friendly people who you can talk to
-Outdoor activities
-Attractions/History
-Plenty of services/variety
-Healthy food
-Unemployment/ Job opportunities

I didn't know which city's forum to post this in, so I placed in Texas, hopefully I can get some helpful answers.

We are friendly, honest people just looking to live in a place that can offer some happiness. Thank you all for your help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-08-2015, 09:26 PM
 
Location: In your head, rent free
14,888 posts, read 8,512,837 times
Reputation: 7669
Quote:
Originally Posted by rross9000 View Post
So, we're looking to move to Texas, after doing all of my research and comparing so many places to one another, Texas seems like just the right fit all things considered. We did choose Denver first but the cost of living is outrageous and we're simple people who want a nice city to live in. We do enjoy the outdoors, heat is no issue (escaping a little humidity would be great). We would like to be able to do some natural/ outdoors activities on a regular basis.

I should mention, we are a same-sex couple, so we would really like to choose an area which would believe in equality and where we would feel at home. While I do understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and no place will be perfect, there is bound to be just the right place for us. One with more people who are friendly, outgoing and generally accepting of others, no matter what their differences. I've read of so many people stating how forward-thinking and democratic Dallas can be, and read the same for both Austin and SA. I think people as a whole are moving forward.

I work with persons with special needs/ developmental disability and autism, my husband is retired from the US Air Force and now works for Staples/OfficeMax. While we don't make millions, we enjoy what we do. I'd love to start my own business, to be honest. A health food/nutrition location for those like-minded. I do enjoy my current job and could easily continue with it as well.

My question to all you amazing people is, which city would you recommend for the following:
-Cost of living
-Open minded
-Big city with a comfortable feel
-Friendly people who you can talk to
-Outdoor activities
-Attractions/History
-Plenty of services/variety
-Healthy food
-Unemployment/ Job opportunities

I didn't know which city's forum to post this in, so I placed in Texas, hopefully I can get some helpful answers.

We are friendly, honest people just looking to live in a place that can offer some happiness. Thank you all for your help!
I honestly can't think of any large city in Texas where you wouldn't be welcomed regardless of your sexual orientation or anything like that. I've been in Texas for over 20 years and during that time I've come to realize that Texas is one of the friendliest and most welcoming state in the US, I'm sure there are pockets of intolerance just like you'll find in any state but most of the people in any of those cities you listed will treat you just like you want to be treated, equally and with respect.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 01:33 AM
 
1,372 posts, read 1,530,708 times
Reputation: 4156
Quote:
Originally Posted by rross9000 View Post
So, we're looking to move to Texas, after doing all of my research and comparing so many places to one another, Texas seems like just the right fit all things considered. We did choose Denver first but the cost of living is outrageous and we're simple people who want a nice city to live in. We do enjoy the outdoors, heat is no issue (escaping a little humidity would be great). We would like to be able to do some natural/ outdoors activities on a regular basis.

I should mention, we are a same-sex couple, so we would really like to choose an area which would believe in equality and where we would feel at home. While I do understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and no place will be perfect, there is bound to be just the right place for us. One with more people who are friendly, outgoing and generally accepting of others, no matter what their differences. I've read of so many people stating how forward-thinking and democratic Dallas can be, and read the same for both Austin and SA. I think people as a whole are moving forward.

I work with persons with special needs/ developmental disability and autism, my husband is retired from the US Air Force and now works for Staples/OfficeMax. While we don't make millions, we enjoy what we do. I'd love to start my own business, to be honest. A health food/nutrition location for those like-minded. I do enjoy my current job and could easily continue with it as well.

My question to all you amazing people is, which city would you recommend for the following:
-Cost of living
-Open minded
-Big city with a comfortable feel
-Friendly people who you can talk to
-Outdoor activities
-Attractions/History
-Plenty of services/variety
-Healthy food
-Unemployment/ Job opportunities

I didn't know which city's forum to post this in, so I placed in Texas, hopefully I can get some helpful answers.

We are friendly, honest people just looking to live in a place that can offer some happiness. Thank you all for your help!
Honestly, go to Denver. the only thing Texas has going for it is jobs, and with 1000 people PER DAY moving here, that is not going to last..........
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Shady Drifter
2,444 posts, read 2,084,399 times
Reputation: 4098
There's a reason Denver has a higher cost of living, and it's because it's a fantastic city. Nothing in Texas will compare the natural beauty and the feel of the Denver area.

If someone offered me a job in Denver, I would be packing the same day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
232 posts, read 309,324 times
Reputation: 217
Stay in Denver, you'll like it there better.

Btw, politically moderate cities are also "forward thinking" in many instances. If you're going to move to Texas, at least get rid of your mentality about republicans and moderates not being "open minded". That is what is considered closed minded in my book.

Anyways, don't move to Texas if politics is going to influence your motives. Just like some poster stated about Austin, Austin isn't even as "progressive" as other Texas cities, the person stated that after visiting Houston, the city had many areas that were more progressive as Austin.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Hutto, Tx
9,247 posts, read 24,174,045 times
Reputation: 2824
I think you'd be fine in any of the cities is you picked. They all pretty much hit what you list. I know same sex couples who live in Houston, Austin, Round Rock, Hutto, Sweeny, and Brazoria. The latter 2 are small towns an hour or so outside of Houston that used to be thought of as backwards, so lots has changed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Detroit, Michigan
16 posts, read 24,989 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan1010 View Post
Stay in Denver, you'll like it there better.

Btw, politically moderate cities are also "forward thinking" in many instances. If you're going to move to Texas, at least get rid of your mentality about republicans and moderates not being "open minded". That is what is considered closed minded in my book.

Anyways, don't move to Texas if politics is going to influence your motives. Just like some poster stated about Austin, Austin isn't even as "progressive" as other Texas cities, the person stated that after visiting Houston, the city had many areas that were more progressive as Austin.
Texan1010, If I offended you, I sincerely apologize. I never once thought of Texans as anything but some of the nicest people in America! I just haven't been there long enough during a visit to get to know the region well enough to judge whether it would be a fit for us. I've genuinely never thought of this decision from of position of politics, perhaps I could have been more clear in my original question.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Detroit, Michigan
16 posts, read 24,989 times
Reputation: 22
Thank you so much for everyone's responses! We aren't living in Denver, it was merely one option, but for us, is a place we have decided against due to it's record-high housing prices and cost of living (Which I'm sure are well worth it to some). All I was hoping for was to hear the view of those who know these cities and could say which they would choose, and why they would live there. I do understand that each would have many things in common, but they should each have something unique. Perhaps something we don't know about. I appreciate all of your time!

PS: I've noticed from reading so many forums that Texans really are some of the friendliest I've ever seen! So much nicer than Detroit!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Dallas
2,171 posts, read 2,774,677 times
Reputation: 3635
Quote:
Originally Posted by rross9000 View Post
So, we're looking to move to Texas, after doing all of my research and comparing so many places to one another, Texas seems like just the right fit all things considered. We did choose Denver first but the cost of living is outrageous and we're simple people who want a nice city to live in. We do enjoy the outdoors, heat is no issue (escaping a little humidity would be great). We would like to be able to do some natural/ outdoors activities on a regular basis.
Have you looked at home prices or rent in Dallas and Austin lately? I think you'll get sticker shock. One of my neighbors just moved here from Denver, and he said he's paying more here in rent than what he did in Denver for a similar neighborhood. It's not really cheap to live in the fun desirable neighborhoods in either Dallas or Austin, with Austin being even more expensive than Dallas. Yeah, you can get a cheap house way out in the older burbs, exurbs, and boonies, but that comes with a lot of downsides.
I should mention, we are a same-sex couple, so we would really like to choose an area which would believe in equality and where we would feel at home. While I do understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, and no place will be perfect, there is bound to be just the right place for us. One with more people who are friendly, outgoing and generally accepting of others, no matter what their differences. I've read of so many people stating how forward-thinking and democratic Dallas can be, and read the same for both Austin and SA. I think people as a whole are moving forward.
I would stick to the inner city in all three. People will come on here and say, that'll you'll be fine, but most of them aren't gay and don't know the difference between what it feels like to be "tolerated" versus embraced and fully accepted as an equal.
I work with persons with special needs/ developmental disability and autism, my husband is retired from the US Air Force and now works for Staples/OfficeMax. While we don't make millions, we enjoy what we do. I'd love to start my own business, to be honest. A health food/nutrition location for those like-minded. I do enjoy my current job and could easily continue with it as well.
I don't know what the job market is for any of that. I would NOT move here without jobs lined up. People from across the country and world are coming to Texas, and are looking for jobs. Therefore, we are now experiencing soaring housing costs.

My question to all you amazing people is, which city would you recommend for the following:
-Cost of living
Too close to pick one over another.
-Open minded
Too close to pick one over another
-Big city with a comfortable feel
Too subjective
-Friendly people who you can talk to
All 3
-Outdoor activities
Austin and San Antonio, but Dallas has things too.
-Attractions/History
None really. More of a state of mind than cool things to see. The Alamo and River walk are overrated IMO (no offense Santonioites). Dallas and Austin have things of that nature, but nowhere near as cool as things in other parts of the country/world. TravelTex.org
-Plenty of services/variety
Dallas
-Healthy food
Dallas
-Unemployment/ Job opportunities
Find a job before coming here. I would NOT move without one.

I didn't know which city's forum to post this in, so I placed in Texas, hopefully I can get some helpful answers.

We are friendly, honest people just looking to live in a place that can offer some happiness. Thank you all for your help!
As a gay man Dallas by far offers more to me. Dallas's gay community is more organized and Dallas has the largest gay population in Texas, but since you're in a relationship that may not matter.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rross9000 View Post
Thank you so much for everyone's responses! We aren't living in Denver, it was merely one option, but for us, is a place we have decided against due to it's record-high housing prices and cost of living (Which I'm sure are well worth it to some). All I was hoping for was to hear the view of those who know these cities and could say which they would choose, and why they would live there. I do understand that each would have many things in common, but they should each have something unique. Perhaps something we don't know about. I appreciate all of your time!

PS: I've noticed from reading so many forums that Texans really are some of the friendliest I've ever seen! So much nicer than Detroit!
You really need to find jobs before coming here, so much of finding a place to live depends on your work location. Each city is very big, with many different neighborhoods, so at this point it's pointless to suggest one over another with the limited information you've given us.
__________________
MODERATOR FOR AUSTIN, DALLAS, FORT LAUDERDALE, & TEXAS
Terms of Service/FAQ/Information for Realtors
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Detroit, Michigan
16 posts, read 24,989 times
Reputation: 22
Thank you! That's a very comprehensive reply, I appreciate it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top