Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:48 AM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times

Advertisements

I just had the itching to start a new thread. Judging from the title, you can only guess what this one will be about. In Texas, there are a lot of traditions in so many categories, cultures, and every relationship of life. You and I get involved in some of them in different times of the year. (Examples: the State Fair of Texas, SXSW, Fiesta week, bluebonnet picture taking, barbecue contests, rodeos, etc.). So I think you know where this is going to go. I know you'll have many, many more that I have not mentioned. They can be regional or city-related depending on what tradition it is. What we want to know is, which one stands out for you?

I'll let you take it from here. Your favorite Texas tradition that is a part of your life --- let's have some fun with this! Let 'er rip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 08:12 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
I try to go down every Spring to see the Bluebonnets. Have many nice pics, and need to do something with them! Then again in summer to get those big beautiful peaches from the Hill Country fruit stands. Have not been to a rodeo in awhile. When we were kids, would go to the big rodeo in Stamford every year. Same with the county and state fairs. Love going to the Texas State Fair, so much to see! Takes at least two days to get through it.

Bluebonnets and Wild Flowers in the Highland Lakes

BigTex.com

The Texas Cowboy Reunion Rodeo

Last edited by lilypad; 01-19-2008 at 08:24 AM..

Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
Friday Night Football
Rodeos
Livestock Shows
county/state fairs
gosh the list could go on and on...i just thank God that i live in Texas

Old 01-19-2008, 10:07 AM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,594 times
Going to Fredricksburg and getting some fresh peaches
Austin City Limits Music Festival
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo
Lightning bugs in the spring and summer

And while some will think I'm crazy, a nice hot and humid day in the Summer.

And my all time favorite: Going to HEB and finding Blue Bell is selling its seasonal ice cream called Key Lime Pie.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:29 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
I miss the lightning bugs! I am in the Panhandle, and my be too arid for them?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:52 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Agree with Belle ... Friday Night HS football!

Dogwoods blooming in East Texas and drives through the woods.

Oh ... chasing the reds and specks under the birds in the fall on Texas estuaries!

And what Texan in their right mind can forget what happens the first Saturday in November???????

Old 01-19-2008, 01:41 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
oh thought of another one! opening day of dove season! opening day of deer season!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:58 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
Default Ha HA HA HA !!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
oh thought of another one! opening day of dove season! opening day of deer season!!!
DUH Belle, what do you think the "first Saturday in November" is???????

Hint ... opening day of deer season ... that was a test ... you failed!!! I'm ashamed of you ... now your star is tarnished!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:12 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Good one Bob...and I am going to have to think on it a bit.

ONE that comes to mind though, is that back when I was a kid in elementary school, we all recited the Pledge to the Texas Flag (how many other states have a pledge?). Our first grade teacher taught it to us, along with a song about bluebonnets.

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

The "under God" part has been added recently. And I am proud of the fact it was!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:16 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I miss the lightning bugs! I am in the Panhandle, and my be too arid for them?
Oh wow, Miss Lilly. The Lightning Bugs! I once wrote a little short story which sorta centered around those cousins type crushes all of us Texans/Southerners remember having at one time or another. And seems like lightning bugs were the featured event so far as backdrop goes! LOL

Just on the off chance anyone cares to take a look at it, here is an excerpt from that story:

Southern memoir - Family Reunion - Randy Hill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas