Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:49 PM

190 posts, read 217,766 times

Advertisements

Austin: Hip, progressive, alternative, liberal.
Dallas: Progressive, pretentious, posh, crime ridden.
Houston: Conservative, understated, polluted, posh
San Antonio: Hick, hick, hick, hick.

Does anyone agree with this?

Old 02-03-2008, 02:27 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,568,556 times
Yes on Austin and Dallas.

No on Houston and San Antonio.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:52 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,509,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity & beyond View Post

Hmmmmm. VERRRY interesting thread.

I will have to think about this one a bit, but off the top of my strawberry blond head I would, like TStone, fairly agree with the first two. But even then, it should be qualified by saying that it wasn't all THAT long ago that Dallas was a VERY conservative Southern city. It wasn't part of the "Metroplex" as thought of today. Dallas and Ft. Worth were seperated by a few suburbs and a lot of culture. Dallas was where the Southeast started, and Ft. Worth was where the western South began. Of course, that label can be considered positive or negative, depending on ones own outlook. In my own worthless opinion, it means good stuff!

San Antonio? Been so long since I have been there. Old San Antone is a wonderful blend of Old Mexico and the Old South. And I guess if I keep on and remember the Alamo, I will start getting too blinded by mist to see to type. *AHEM* A lot of things come to mind with San Antonio and anymore, illegal aliens is one of them. But "Hick" is NOT one of them.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
A lot of things come to mind with San Antonio and anymore, illegal aliens is one of them. But "Hick" is NOT one of them.

Actually you can put the ''sanctuary city'' label for both SA and Houston.

Houston is not as conservative as people might think. Libertarian, I think is the more proper word.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:00 PM

251 posts, read 707,099 times
Quote:
Actually you can put the ''sanctuary city'' label for both SA and Houston.
You do know that San Antonio isn't a sanctuary city, right?

Old 02-03-2008, 03:09 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,130,640 times
Well, I love all four cities. However, Austin and San Antonio seem more "real Texas" to me as Dallas and Houston become more "world-class" cities. I love the history and Spanish-American culture of San Antonio. I love the Texas flavor of the capitol city. Both are growing and wil seem less real Texas as they evolve into more world-class cities.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:25 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,633,692 times
Quote:

No.

Dallas always seemed a much more conservative city than Houston when I was growing up near there. I have family and have lived in both. I don't think it's all Dallas's fault; they have Northeast Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Anglo-influenced Louisiana to pull from. Houston gets more influence from its German roots and Catholic Louisiana and South Texas, and has had lots of international influence from the O&G industry. Both cities are progressive in different ways, perhaps. The people in Houston feel much more progressive to me, I think in part due to our blue collar roots, historic neighborhoods like the Heights and Montrose, music and arts scenes, and the influence of the universities on these and other Inner Loop areas. But DFW has had a much stronger vision and sense of itself and as a result feels much more unified, so overall it may feel like a more progressive city, if that makes any sense. That said, both cities are very large and more like several smaller cities with different characters and lifestyles so they're hard to pin down or fit into a neatly labeled box, Houston even more so, IMO, so I'm often perplexed that people even try.

I've never heard that anyone thought that, or anything negative, about San Antonio until I started reading the fora here.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
You do know that San Antonio isn't a sanctuary city, right?

Yes, but this is a thread about stereotypes. Shoulda been more clear, sorry.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:39 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,633,692 times
Oh, yeah, good point.

Well, then, I think Houston's stereotypes are more along the lines of blue-collar, polluted, hot & humid, mosquito-infested, industrial swamp town. Posh and conservative are fairly new stereotypes for our fair city, probably owing to the Enron scandal, Tom DeLay, the Bush administration, the energy industry, etc.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:48 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,325,909 times
everything but the one on San Antonio-definitely not hick

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas