Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:47 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,420,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
"Crossover country" is an oxymoron and borders on sacrilege. "Crossover country," aka "Nashville pop," is nothing more than pop music that is marketed as country, and thus is played on country radio stations. Stylistically and instrumentally, it does not resemble country music in any way.
I actually agree. Much of country on the radio is pop music with slide guitars. I just heard a country song that uses a Timbaland-style beat from his 90s r&b tracks. Some kids would call it dubstep or the half step beat, but that's a different topic. Even though country is the most popular genre in the U.S., I don't think most Americans are truly listening to country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 03:05 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,422,603 times
- Eats BBQ with tortillas

Never have.

- Eats breakfast tacos

No.

- Love hot sauce

Oh yes!

- Love Shiner beer

Don't drink beer, period.

- Can pronounce all the Spanish words in a mexican restaurant menu correctly

Sometimes, sometimes not.

- Hates I-35

Yes.

- Doesn't say "You guys" says "Y'all" (I'm still learning this one)

Yes. Can't help it.

- Knows a mexican lady that makes amazing tamales

Not personally, but I know where to get them. And now I want some chicken tamales.

- Thinks of Mexico as "The place where cheap labor comes from"

No.

- Thinks of anybody outside the Texas border as a "foreigner"

No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I disagree with people that say that Texans love country music
That's like me saying that Texans love Beyoncé
I'm a born and raised Texan who cannot stand Beyoncé or (the majority of) country music.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:16 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,422,603 times
[quote=llmrkc07;40021803]

1. Pride

Not one bit ashamed, but not jingoistic either.

2. You eat Chicken Fried Steak/Chicken once (or twice) a week..

Never.

3. Whataburger

I do have an occasional Whatachicken sandwich.

4. BBQ is VERY serious..

No.

5. You drink and eat Dr. Pepper and Blue Bell "faithfully"

I have some Stevia Dr. Pepper in the refrigerator right now that I've yet to try, but I don't like ice cream.

6. You own at least 2 pairs of boots (not a cowboy, but I have owed a pair of boots since 2)

I've never owned a pair of boots.

7. Of course "Y'all" but I find that we say "Hey Y'all" often...

Yeah.

8. Most folks (male & female) have this ruggedness to them...

No.

9. You marry your high-school sweet heart or someone who went to your high school (though this can be found everywhere, its very common in Texas)

Really?

10. Can be very nice folks, but when you cross us/disrespect us/grind our gears, your in for a BIG surprise..LOL

That's me personally if I'm in a mood. I don't think it's specific to Texans, though.

11. Football Fridays!

Not me, but my mom works for a school district and last fall I went to a couple of games with her and actually enjoyed it. Not so much the game itself, but the atmosphere and halftime.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:17 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,427,872 times
A true Texan thinks 99 degrees is a cold day in the summer lol

Old 06-17-2015, 02:30 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,133,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
Has anyone mentioned "Loves to hate the Dallas Cowboys"?

Even though I'm a Texans fan.

Maybe forever hating the Titans for taking the Oilers.
We love the Cowboys, thus, we are perpetually frustrated by Jerry Jones.

And we don't hate the Titans, but let's just say that nobody in Texas misses the late Bud Adams.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:30 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,918,556 times
#1. Being born in Texas

There are no other qualifiers, good, bad, ugly, if you were born in Texas we call you one of our own, everyone else is just a yankee or a californian

Old 06-18-2015, 05:04 PM

67,654 posts, read 60,300,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
#1. Being born in Texas

There are no other qualifiers, good, bad, ugly, if you were born in Texas we call you one of our own, everyone else is just a yankee or a californian
Who is "we?"

Most Texans I know think of me as a Texan and I wasn't born here, but I love it here. Many of them over the years have simply assumed that I WAS born here.

I've literally never had a native Texan accuse me of being a "yankee or a Californian." It would be sort of ridiculous to call me either, since I was born in New Orleans.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Who is "we?"

Most Texans I know think of me as a Texan and I wasn't born here, but I love it here. Many of them over the years have simply assumed that I WAS born here.

I've literally never had a native Texan accuse me of being a "yankee or a Californian." It would be sort of ridiculous to call me either, since I was born in New Orleans.
"We" is real Texans, you know those of us that were born here, not moved here from elsewhere or "got here as fast as I could". Your neighbors are just being polite, bless their hearts

Old 06-18-2015, 10:59 PM

67,654 posts, read 60,300,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
"We" is real Texans, you know those of us that were born here, not moved here from elsewhere or "got here as fast as I could". Your neighbors are just being polite, bless their hearts
Nyah, I don't think so.

I'm not worried about what you think of me - especially since you don't even know me. I put a lot more stock in the opinions of people I know and care about.

But keep on wid cho bad seff.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:26 PM

Just because I refuse to give outsiders status as real Texans, does not mean I think negatively of them.

It would be like me trying to claim I'm African-American, I can claim it all I want, but nobody is going to believe it, some may humor me, but that is not the same as believing it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas