Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 10:35 AM

40 posts, read 48,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Tender Mercies
Great movie with a great performance by Robert Duvall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 11:00 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times
Did anyone else cringe at Leonardo Dicaprio's "Texan" accent in The Aviator? He sounded terrible. Is that what he thinks Texans sound like?

Old 06-26-2015, 12:23 PM

62 posts, read 118,761 times
"Fandango." Top shelf classic.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:26 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,972,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooky hornstein View Post
Hey thank you all for joining the topic. Outstanding contributions!

LOVE the five different states of Texas.

I have not seen that. I definitely have to check it out.

But when I read the write up on imdb, it reminded me of another movie I had forgotten: Frailty. I believe it was set in Texas, though probably not filmed in Texas, but in McConaughey, Bill Paxton and Powers Booth, it certainly had a trio of outstanding actors from Texas.

I need to see that one again. I wasn’t too impressed when I first saw it but I was in my 20s so my world and tastes were probably rather small at the time. I do love the name Jett Rink. Has to be one of the best names ever.

Say, joqua. Ever seen Hud? It’s kind of a poor man’s Giant.

Recently saw Rush again. The one you referenced with Jennifer Jason Leigh and Jason Patric. I had forgotten what a compelling movie it was. Gregg Allman was perfect in his role.

I notice you left Slacker off your list, radiolibre. Too Austin-centric?

Good contributions, KathrynAragon, biscuitmom and theone33. You too, WesternTraveler.
Thanks Hooky

Old 06-26-2015, 06:12 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,161,460 times
Quote:
Say, joqua. Ever seen Hud? It’s kind of a poor man’s Giant.
I saw it way back when it was first released but have little memory of the plot. Whereas I recall more of the scenes in Giant. But Hud was a great movie, to wit:

Quote:
Hud was nominated for seven Academy Awards at the 36th Annual Academy Awards in 1963. It won three, including Best Actress (Neal), Best Supporting Actor (Douglas) and Best Cinematography (Wong). Neal also won the BAFTA Award for Best Foreign Actress. The film was nominated for five Golden Globe Awards, won four Laurel Awards (Top Drama, Top Male Dramatic Performance, Top Female Dramatic Performance and Top Male Supporting Performance) and received the Best Written American Drama Writers Guild of America Award.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:40 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,780,446 times
Quote:
But I notice you’re all very positive. Aside from one askance view of Urban Cowboy, you’re all listing movies you like. Have any of you ever seen a movie about Texans or Texas that just made you groan?
OK, I perused a list of 200+ movies "set" in Texas and have come up with the following.

TEN Worst (or "groan" worthy) Texas Movies ever:

10. - Rolling Thunder - Viet Vet comes home. Low budget (billy jack, sly "first blood" type) film. One scene in the kitchen gave me nightmares for years.
9. - Martyrs of the Alamo (1915) - never saw it, but from the racist description it belongs on the list.
8. - JFK - fascinating, big budget & worth watching, but dang was it jacked up with whopper assumptions & groan worthy moments.
7. Tin Cup - (oops two Costner films). I love golf and Cheech & like Don Johnson, but the Kingwood course was laughable, Rene Russo is a poser and the ending scene (with 7 straight balls in the water) was a head scratcher for 5 different reasons. Film actually p*ssed me off.
6. State Fair - (with Pat Boone & other lamos). Never saw it...don't really need to. But if they feature Fletcher corny dogs or some TX-OU clips, I'd probably bump it up a notch or two.
5. Best Little Whorehouse - Anyone who saw the amazing Play knows why this is on the list. Dolly was fabulous (as always), but Burt s*cked, & his fat friend as Marvin Zindler was a travesty.
4. Suburban Madness - TV movie (I think) about the lady dentist who ran over her husband in a hotel parking lot. Could have been amazing (& maybe Fargo like), instead it was a clunky, with stupid clichés & boring.
3. Texasville - Not Awful, but considering it was a 25 year later movie of Last Picture Show (one of the greatest movies ever) with a fabulous cast, they phoned it in.
2. DOA - with D Quaid & Meg Ryan. A remake of a cool little film noir 40s film. Quite possibly the worst movie ever (& definitely the worst that Quaid or Ryan were ever in).
1. Giant - Yeah, Yeah...I know. I love it too (can't take my eyes off of it....kind of like a train wreck). But it's awful. Hudson as the virile, Texan leading man (& his accent!)...c'mon! E Taylor was OK (& beautiful). I (& everyone) loves J. Dean, but after Rebel & the Steinbeck movie, he was worse than awful in this. Also, the depiction of Hispanics was ridiculous. & they cast Dennis Hopper as a wimp in this, Huh?? Even the great character actors (Chill Wills etc.) over did it with the yee haws & hoot n' hollering. Replace the 3 male leads (Hudson, Dean & Hopper) and this movie might have been pretty good and not a stupid caricature film. BTW... I do think that Giant (& JFK) are MUST watch movies, but they are also filled with whoppers & are groan fests at the same time. But Giant takes #1 as the worst Texas movie (since it could have been SO much better).

btw - John Wayne's Alamo almost made my list, but ultimately I figure that the opposite of love is indifference & I'm indifferent to Wayne's POS version.

(flame away )

Last edited by hound 109; 06-27-2015 at 11:53 AM..

Old 06-27-2015, 07:50 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texascycling View Post
"Fandango." Top shelf classic.
Fandango was a great movie. I mean reallly great!

Tin Cup also mentions UH a lot since UH used to have a dominant golf program years ago.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Not a movie, but the miniseries "Texas Rising" was so painful to watch that my husband and I turned it off after about 45 minutes. The accents, the stupid topography, the over the top artsiness of it, and most of all - the ridiculous script! Ugh, it was probably the worst movie/series supposedly about Texas that I've ever seen.

Texas Rising (TV Mini-Series 2015) - IMDb

Old 06-28-2015, 06:58 AM

657 posts, read 739,882 times
Can yall give descriptions for these movies you like?

Old 06-28-2015, 10:48 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times
Lone Star captures the racial tensions of a half Mexican-half white town in a West Texas small town. It's also a mystery movie about solving the death of a Sherriff who died thirty years prior. Excellent movie, highly recommended. And it stars a young Matthew McConaughey.

That's my fav. Go watch it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas