Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:21 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxf848 View Post
As long as he doesn't drive his parents' vehicle and uses the license only to get a job or drive a vehicle for which he's covered, he's breaking no laws. We should inform him of how to follow the rules while trying to get ahead and not assume that he wants to do wrong.
No, he explicitly stated he wanted to get a DL w/o getting insurance and there is no way to do this in Texas without breaking the law.

Driving without insurance is not a good idea, and there are severe penalties for doing so. First time offenders are subject to a fine of up to $350, plus court costs, and may be assessed additional fees as authorized by Transportation Code Chapter 708: TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 708. DRIVER RESPONSIBILITY PROGRAM. Repeat offenders face fines of up to $1,000 and a two (2) year driver license suspension.

What if I drive without insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 11:27 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
Wont happen, plain and simple.

You asked a few of your current co-workers and most of them your age, don't have insurance.

That's why insurance costs so much, people like this are uninsured and who pays when they get into an accident ???

Old 06-29-2015, 12:07 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
He can get an ID Card at the DPS which also works for employment purposes. No insurance required!

Old 06-29-2015, 12:12 PM

348 posts, read 830,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
No, he explicitly stated he wanted to get a DL w/o getting insurance and there is no way to do this in Texas without breaking the law.

Driving without insurance is not a good idea, and there are severe penalties for doing so. First time offenders are subject to a fine of up to $350, plus court costs, and may be assessed additional fees as authorized by Transportation Code Chapter 708: TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 708. DRIVER RESPONSIBILITY PROGRAM. Repeat offenders face fines of up to $1,000 and a two (2) year driver license suspension.

What if I drive without insurance?
To get a driver license without insurance requires that you submit a statement that you do not own a vehicle. It's Section 521.143.

TRANSPORTATION CODE CHAPTER 521. DRIVER'S LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES

Old 06-29-2015, 01:08 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpm0nster View Post
OK so some background: I've been living in Texas for my whole life(19), i have been driving since i was about 15. I want to get a better job but most jobs require you to have a license.
I want to know how i can go through the process without having to be on the insurance. I asked a few of my current co-workers and most of them my age, don't have insurance. If theres a way to do it, can i get a run through.
I went to my local driving school, and the lady said i need to just take a written test, then go to the DMV for the driving portion. When i called they said i need My SS, DOB certificate, 2 bills, and proof of insurance, so i don't know how it has to be done.
The reason i want to get my license without insurance is because I wouldn't be able to pay the difference when i get put on my insurance, and my parents wouldnt afford it either. The insurance would to from $170 to ~$300.

TL;DR: How to get a license without insurance because i cant afford the increase in insurance price. Also Im In LAREDO, TEXAS.

Thanks in advance.
I was reading and saying to myself.. wtf unlike I got to the bold part and then it all made sense..

Hopefully it doesn't happen. You have to insurance if you want to operate a motor vehicle.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:50 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
I've heard that in some counties in Texas the police will take you to jail if you are caught driving a vehicle and you are not covered by insurance. No passing go, just straight to the calaboose. Jail time, fine and vehicle impounded. Ouch.

I say it should be this way in ALL the counties. If you do not have liability insurance, you need to stay out from under the wheel, no matter that your circumstances make it hard for you to acquire insurance. Cry me a river. Oh wait, that's what I did when I had to pay out of my own pocket to have my truck fixed after an uninsured driver ran into it. I had insurance, but had let the uninsured motorists drop because I had gotten so aggravated about paying for my insurance and then having to pay an extra amount for people who didn't pay anything at all.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for anyone who drives a vehicle while they are uninsured.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:45 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
Don't they still require a driving test to get a DL? Won't the OP need a vehicle and insurance for the test?

Old 06-29-2015, 05:49 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
Don't they still require a driving test to get a DL? Won't the OP need a vehicle and insurance for the test?
I sure hope they do. If not, . So sure, one would need a vehicle, so ditto the need for the insurance.

I didn't read the link wxf848 provided regarding providing a statement that you did not own a vehicle in order to get around showing proof of insurance, but someone is going to have to supply a vehicle for a driving test and I would think they (DPS) would be diligent enough to require at least a temporary insurance before allowing him to do the test. At least, you'd think so, right?

Old 06-30-2015, 04:56 AM

348 posts, read 830,836 times
I keep hoping that I'm not the only one who can see the difference between getting a driver license using a legal procedure and committing the illegal act of driving without insurance. Perhaps some people can't tell the difference or can't imagine the possible ways, but it is absolutely possible and legal (I know people who have done this exact thing). I, for one, hope for the best for and want to try to advise someone who wants to do the right thing about how to do so, and hope that all of the condemnation based on gross presumption does not discourage him. Some people look for all the ways to justify saying that you shouldn't even try, but I prefer to look for the ways to justify trying.

If you can legally get a driver license needed to get a job that helps you to meet the legal requirements to get and drive your own vehicle, please do so and don't let all the naysayers prevent it.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:37 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I've heard that in some counties in Texas the police will take you to jail if you are caught driving a vehicle and you are not covered by insurance. No passing go, just straight to the calaboose. Jail time, fine and vehicle impounded. Ouch.

I say it should be this way in ALL the counties. If you do not have liability insurance, you need to stay out from under the wheel, no matter that your circumstances make it hard for you to acquire insurance. Cry me a river. Oh wait, that's what I did when I had to pay out of my own pocket to have my truck fixed after an uninsured driver ran into it. I had insurance, but had let the uninsured motorists drop because I had gotten so aggravated about paying for my insurance and then having to pay an extra amount for people who didn't pay anything at all.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for anyone who drives a vehicle while they are uninsured.

yup i would be harsher to people who drive without insurance but that would be illegal too. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: