Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,197 times

Advertisements

OK so some background: I've been living in Texas for my whole life(19), i have been driving since i was about 15. I want to get a better job but most jobs require you to have a license.
I want to know how i can go through the process without having to be on the insurance. I asked a few of my current co-workers and most of them my age, don't have insurance. If theres a way to do it, can i get a run through.
I went to my local driving school, and the lady said i need to just take a written test, then go to the DMV for the driving portion. When i called they said i need My SS, DOB certificate, 2 bills, and proof of insurance, so i don't know how it has to be done.
The reason i want to get my license without insurance is because I wouldn't be able to pay the difference when i get put on my insurance, and my parents wouldnt afford it either. The insurance would to from $170 to ~$300.

TL;DR: How to get a license without insurance because i cant afford the increase in insurance price. Also Im In LAREDO, TEXAS.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 03:03 AM

238 posts, read 420,379 times
Driving is a privilege not a right.

$170-300 dollars just to add you to your parent's insurance premium is not a lot of money. If you can't afford to cover that cost then what makes you think you could cover the cost of a motor vehicle accident if you are involved in one?

There are ways to circumvent the insurance requirement but nobody here is going to give you directions to that as it contributes to the number of people driving w/o insurance.

Old 06-29-2015, 03:33 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
If you have an accident and cause serious bodily injury or property damage, you could get a court order that would garnish any wages you might earn for years. That would even more significantly affect your ability to own anything, purchase anything on credit---or just plain have fun.

People who do not purchase insurance just keep insurance costs high. One of the coverages that is increasing faster than any other is uninsured motorists. UM provides coverage to the owner of the insurance if an uninsured person is at fault in an injury accident. Frankly, it is quite irritating for me to pay higher rates because YOU don't want to purchase liability coverage. I have to get the UM coverage because irresponsible people won't do so, and if I'm going to pay the money to protect other people, I'm sure going to spend it to protect me.

I spent 30 years in the insurance industry and made rates for 15 of those years.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:58 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,873 times
Quote:
... you could get a court order that would garnish any wages you might earn for years
Texas typically allows garnishment only for IRS, Child Support, and Student loan issues. Otherwise, a court order might be had but not likely.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:27 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
You can get a judgement against you, which will prohibit you from buying or selling property (cars or houses) until the judgement is paid off.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:42 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Do your parents have insurance or not? If they do, you don't have to guess at the amount it will cost to add you on, a simple call to their insurance company will tell you. If you can't afford to pay your parents the additional cost, you can't afford to drive.

I put my daughter on my insurance as soon as she started driving. She was coming home from school one day (driving my truck) when this A-hole came flying out of a side street, never stopping and ran right into the side of my truck, making a huge dent. He had no insurance and left the scene of the accident. She had managed to get his name and license number, but it was useless. All the cops had to say was if he had stayed at the scene, they would have arrested him then and there. He had a string of warrants, a long list of addresses where he moved on a frequent basis.

I have absolutely no use for deadbeats and will not sugarcoat it. You can't afford to be responsible? Then just wait until you can afford to be responsible before you take advantage of privileges like driving. Responsible. I cannot repeat that word enough times!

Old 06-29-2015, 09:57 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,873 times
Quote:
I want to get a better job but most jobs require you to have a license.
Well, in defense of the OP, he wants to be responsible, just having a hard time getting there.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:27 AM

348 posts, read 830,836 times
Insurance is required if you own a vehicle. If you don't own a vehicle you must provide a statement to that effect when applying for a license. That's from Texas Transportation Code 521.143.

If you live with your parents, they'll need to get you excluded from their insurance so that the cost won't change. It would be illegal for you to drive any of their vehicles.

People shouldn't be condemning you as a deadbeat for being in a tough situation and trying to do better. Just keep following the rules and hopefully soon you'll be able to pay for the insurance. Until then, don't drive your parents' vehicles. The financial penalties will make it take much longer before you can afford the insurance for it.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:35 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroxian View Post
Well, in defense of the OP, he wants to be responsible, just having a hard time getting there.
True and you don't want to sound negative and would like to see him succeed, but consequences are a major factor and they do require considering. While we might root for him to get ahead, we did not take him on to raise and while that sounds overly exaggerated, it is very frustrating to have to pick up the tab for all the ones who claim they cannot afford insurance.

There's a lot of responsible people who can't afford' insurance, but yet they have it. If he's not able to sacrifice something in order to carry insurance (which BTW is the law, so without it, he is being criminally negligent). If he causes an accident involving you, you sure would want him to have insurance to cover your costs. Ditto everyone one else.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:51 AM

348 posts, read 830,836 times
As long as he doesn't drive his parents' vehicle and uses the license only to get a job or drive a vehicle for which he's covered, he's breaking no laws. We should inform him of how to follow the rules while trying to get ahead and not assume that he wants to do wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: