Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 08:56 AM

6 posts, read 6,570 times

Advertisements

Wife and I just want to get away from Waco for a few days (July 9th -12th) and we are thinking about going to San Antonio, Galveston or Corpus Christi? Any suggestions on where we should go?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 09:19 AM

371 posts, read 540,751 times
I personally prefer San Antonio, but it is going to be super hot.. so I would venture to New Braunfels and have some fun in the river or brave the crowds at Schlitterbahn (been going since the 80s!) while you are there. I am not much of a beach fan, so you can take my suggestion with a grain of salt if you two like the beach more.

There are some great places to eat in San Antonio as well... me and my friends have traditions of certain places to visit each time I go visit there.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:45 AM

11,821 posts, read 26,746,357 times
As much as I love Texas, our beaches aren't great, especially compared with Florida and Mexico.

Personally, my favorite getaway is Fredericksburg.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:53 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,240,234 times
If you like the big city, San Antonio all the way. Loads to do there. New Braunfels is great. Stop and see Gruene, too.

If you like small towns - you can relax in the Hill Country with Fredericksburg or Wimberley. Fredericksburg has a ton to see and do for it's size. Drive through the Devil's Backbone for some nice Texas scenery.

Galveston truly has some neat stuff, but I wouldn't recommend it for a long vacation. Unless you don't mind bums and street urchins...

Old 07-02-2015, 09:59 AM

112 posts, read 164,251 times
Not sure how old your kids are or how much money you want to spend, but...

you could go to SeaWorld, Fiesta Texas, the Riverwalk and the Alamo

you could go tubing on the Comal, check out Gruene, and spend a day at Schlitterbahn

you could go horseback riding at a guest ranch in Bandera

you could go to the Johnson Space Center, Battleship Texas and Kemah Boardwalk in Houston

you could go to Inner Space Caverns, see an Express game, ride the train at Zilker Park and jump in the frigid waters at Barton Springs

you could visit Hill Country vineyards, drive the kids through the exotic animal ranch near Johnson City, spend a day a Pedernales State Park, enjoy the nice pool at the LBJ National Park and then venture over to the Nimitz Museum in Fredercksburg

Old 07-02-2015, 10:33 AM

6 posts, read 6,570 times
Thanks for the suggestions. This trip is just the wife and I. We actually went to Schillterbahn last weekend. I love that place.

Probably go to San Antonio for a few days and I was wondering the best things to do and see?

Any good comedy clubs?

Best restaurants?

Best hotels? Maybe something close to the river walk so I don't have to worry about transportation back in-case I decide to drink.

Anything else?

Old 07-02-2015, 11:37 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,510,911 times
Get thee to the Hill Country - spend a day in San Antonio, and a coupla days in Fredericksburg, Luckenbach, Bandero, etc. or on the river or at the Schlitterbahn. Maybe take in a winery (and take in some wine) - our personal favorite is Becker Vineyards. Pedernales Falls is a beautiful site.

IF you feel like driving north a bit, Fort Worth is a GREAT city to spend some time in - excellent museums as well as a fun area of history (Stockyards).

Have fun!

Old 07-02-2015, 02:13 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,207,808 times
The "close" beach for us is Port A.

It is decent and nice.

The real beach is South Padre, or Gulf Shores Alabama.

A fun weekend trip is stay in a rental in the hill country and have some wine.

Fort Worth is nice, there is a lot more to see than the stockyards. Dallas is close to Waco and there is a ton to do there.

Galveston, there is a lot of stuff to do there but the beach has never looked good to me.

Corpus has a weird smell of oil in the air, but otherwise was pretty nice looking.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:38 PM

232 posts, read 359,039 times
Go to South Padre Island, just go, don't ask questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas