Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:48 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,197 times

Advertisements

Galveston has a great party scene, but if you are dragging kids along you might be better off in San Antonio. I regularly hit Galveston (couple times a month), but took the teenagers to SA this summer and had a blast. My vote FWIW would be for San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 10:04 PM

657 posts, read 739,882 times
More details on Galvestons party scene?

Old 07-23-2015, 09:03 AM

32 posts, read 44,517 times
Thanks everyone for the input. We decided to just hit San Antonio for the weekend and then try Galveston maybe in late sep/early October. There are more than enough lakes and rivers around Austin for us to take the kids too instead of spending a mortgage payment for a weekend on the beach.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:08 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,024 times
Out of the two, I'd pick San Antonio. Galveston's beaches are nothing to write home about (same for Port A and Padre) when compared to other beaches. In terms of having more things to do as a tourist, Galveston is far superior to every Texas coastal city.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:17 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I've never been to Myrtle Beach, but I have stayed at Isle of Palms down the road. The water was emerald green. Galveston beaches are definitely not like that. Galveston has some truly neat stuff, and the beaches can be enjoyable, but coming from a person that lives in the north end of Galveston county - there is a high percentage of bums and general riff raff on the island. If you start to explore the city part of the island, you will see what I mean, and you will say to yourself "Gee, Daniel was right!" I would recommend San Antonio. More stuff to do, and statistically speaking you can do more fun San Antonio stuff and experience less of a riff raff factor. What I mean is you are more likely to be hit up for spare change doing touristy things in Galveston than doing touristy things in San Antonio.
There are plenty of times during the year where the water in Galveston can indeed be emerald green, or at least much clearer than it commonly is.

In regards to trying to escape murky water, Isle of Palms, and SC beaches as a whole aren't much better than Galveston's for the most part; Myrtle Beach, and beaches further north in the state are exceptions.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:11 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
I would skip Galveston. It's kind of a dirty, run down kind of place. The beach scene is very 'meh' (sorry, just saying it like I see it).
That's no longer accurate, as Galveston has really revamped the last few years in new developments.
Food is great too.

That being said, I'd go to San Antonio now and Galveston in the off season.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:07 PM

347 posts, read 467,932 times
Agree with the idea of hitting Galveston during the beginning of Fall. That is when we always go when we go. The weather is absolutely nice and there will still be many things to do at that time of year there.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:04 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,684 times
SA do galveston on a day trip

Old 08-01-2015, 07:24 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
We are currently spending a few days on the west end of Galveston, and it is pretty nice. Temps are a bit cooler and water is nice right now, seaweed is non-existent at them moment, as are the mosquitoes. Did Schlitterbahn a couple days ago with the kids, but the rest of the time the kids are at the beach or the pool.

Ofc, depending on what you want to do, SA has a lot of options; however, the kids (5 and 8) get a lot more chances to run around and 'discover' stuff here than they would in SA and we adults have avoided the car entirely (except for the drive to and from SB).

Old 08-06-2015, 08:26 AM

751 posts, read 1,482,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
More details on Galvestons party scene?
The Spot is a very popular watering hole, usually filled with younger folks but there are older ones mixed in the crowd. Plenty of bars up and down the seawall, and on the weekends the seawall is usually packed with revelers.

The strand has some cool bars, and some nice outside seating. I think there are a couple places both on the strand and the seawall that offer some live music occasionally too. At least I have seen some bands playing when I was out wandering around.

While I am a frequent visitor, I am normally in town for business, so don't do a lot of partying.

If you are into local beers, I hear the Galveston Brewery has tours on Tuesdays, and their wheat beer is not too bad, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas