Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 08:58 PM

87 posts, read 127,751 times

Advertisements

Is there any connection between Baylor Hospitals, Baylor University, Baylor College of Medicine and Baylor Dental School?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 05:32 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,875 times
Yes there is.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:41 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
It depends on which of the above you are talking about.

There has not been any affiliation between The University and Baylor College of Medicine in almost 50 years. The Medical School is an entirely independent institution that moved to Houston in the 1940s to become one of the anchors of the newly established Texas Medical Center. I believe it ended its affiliation with Baylor University in 1969 or approx and it's been a private not for profit ever since, if not prior to that.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-23-2015 at 06:21 AM..

Old 07-23-2015, 12:00 PM

If not then what is the reason for Baylor University keeping the right to appoint 25% of members on boards of Baylor College of Medicine, Baylor Healthcare system and Baylor Dental school? From what I hear, they made each institution autonomous to be eligible for federal and private funding, which stops if they stay legally affiliated to Baylor University which openly claims to be a religious institution.

I have noticed that Baylor connections opens a lot of doors in Texas, specially for health professionals.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:49 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
I know Baylor Dental is under the Texas A&M system, at least that's what my wife's diploma says.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:04 PM

804 posts, read 1,074,822 times
I can tell you Baylor college of medicine is run by a bunch of morons though. They decided to build that hospital without securing funding and relying on rich people to fund it. And then during the recession asked for their own employees to donate money to finish it ontop of all the cut backs they did because they didn't have enough money to finish the darn thing.lol Now it sits half used all the while the place almost tanked during the recession because of the administration thinks money grows on trees attitude.

Then they get dr klotman which has turned the place around but still has the 900 ton gorilla building not making any money for them.

Who builds a new hospital in the middle of the medical center and no emergency room so they don't have to take care of poor people for free?lol Their is a reason people go to st lukes,Methodist,md Anderson. The medical center already has a place for poor people its called harris county hospital.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:49 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
I can tell you Baylor college of medicine is run by a bunch of morons though. They decided to build that hospital without securing funding and relying on rich people to fund it. And then during the recession asked for their own employees to donate money to finish it ontop of all the cut backs they did because they didn't have enough money to finish the darn thing.lol Now it sits half used all the while the place almost tanked during the recession because of the administration thinks money grows on trees attitude.

Then they get dr klotman which has turned the place around but still has the 900 ton gorilla building not making any money for them.

Who builds a new hospital in the middle of the medical center and no emergency room so they don't have to take care of poor people for free?lol Their is a reason people go to st lukes,Methodist,md Anderson. The medical center already has a place for poor people its called harris county hospital.
And, sadly, that did not used to be the case. The leadership used to be much better until the mid 2000s. Attempting to build the hospital was a huge mistake. It's what started the fight that led to the "divorce" between BCM and Methodist, which had been their adult teaching hospital for 50 years. The education of the students has suffered since losing Methodist. This weird arrangement Methodist now has with Cornell seems odd and out of place.

I am glad things seem to be turning around. I'm a former BCM employee and my husband got his MD in the early 2000s.

I would guess that Baylor University's right to appoint a certain number of members to the Board of the Medical School and Dental school is a residual political concession those institutions had to get to win their independence from Baylor way back when. I am not sure, though.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:26 PM

I don't know much details about unfinished building issue but neither Rice University nor Baylor University was willing to invest millions in that project. However BCM has a great reputation among medical community, Baylor/Rice and Baylor/Baylor BS/MD programs are highly sort after programs. Baylor University seems to get ahead in strides and Baylor Dental is doing quite well too. Baylor Medical Center in Dallas just got nominated as top 3rd in Texas and first in DFW area. Baylor network isn't a bad club to be in.

https://www.baylor.edu/mediacommunic...ry&story=88302

http://www2.baylor.edu/baylorproud/2...rd-appointees/

Old 07-23-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
I know Baylor Dental is under the Texas A&M system, at least that's what my wife's diploma says.
You are right. Baylor took $50million to part ways with dental school. However, school gets to use Baylor name and Baylor gets to keep 25% seats on school's board of trustees.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:36 PM

My half sister wishes to pick Baylor/Baylor BS/MD over other Texas programs so my father is trying to make sure that it's a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas