Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 09:23 PM

389 posts, read 419,766 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Texas, but I have lived out of state for the past 27 years. When I was in school, we had Texas History in 7th grade. We just moved back, and my daughter will be starting 8th grade this school year. Is Texas History still taught in 7th grade?

If it is still taught in 7th grade, does anyone have any suggestions for an interesting (to a 13 yo) way to catch her up on Texas history? I wouldn't mind refreshing my memory as well. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 10:38 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,857,761 times
The Bullock Texas State History Museum

When I first moved to Texas in 1977 I read this book and found it very interesting. Lone Star: A History Of Texas And The Texans: T.R. Fehrenbach: 9780306809422: Amazon.com: Books

Old 08-06-2015, 11:43 AM

389 posts, read 419,766 times
Thanks CptnRn. I will check out the book. We are planning on going to the museum soon. I just saw it advertised in a magazine last weekend. Now if my kids will just let me stay in one place long enough to actually read what the exhibit is about!

My next road trip, I told my kids I was going to stop at every "historical marker" sign we passed. Just so I can read and see what exactly happened on that specific plot of dirt 150 ish years ago.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:10 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,746,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post
I was born and raised in Texas, but I have lived out of state for the past 27 years. When I was in school, we had Texas History in 7th grade. We just moved back, and my daughter will be starting 8th grade this school year. Is Texas History still taught in 7th grade?

If it is still taught in 7th grade, does anyone have any suggestions for an interesting (to a 13 yo) way to catch her up on Texas history? I wouldn't mind refreshing my memory as well. TIA
I would have her watch the "True Women" Mini-Series (set in Seguin from roughly the 1840s - 1870s I think). Lots of (now) famous actors (actresses) & it's a good and historically accurate mini-series. Told from a woman's point of view and has as many women characters as men.

The book (of course) was even better & was written by a lady from Seguin or Gonzales named Swindle or Windle or something.

I'd also have her watch Lonesome Dove, because it's one of the greatest movies/mini-series ever.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:12 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,857,761 times
You also might want to check out the ELMER KELTON series of books, many of them while fiction are based on Texas history. They are fun and entertaining to read.

LONG WAY TO TEXAS: 3 novels *****
(Joe Pepper, Long Way to Texas, Eyes of the Hawk)
Buffalo Wagons (1957)
The Day the Cowboys Quit (1971) *****
The Time it Never Rained(1973)
The Man who Rode Midnight
Stand Proud 1984
The Far Canyon (1994)
The Pumpkin Rollers (1996) *****
Cloudy in the West (1997)
Captain's Rangers 1999
The Rebels: Sons of Texas (2007)
Texas Sunrise: Massacre at Goliad & After the Bugles(2008)
Many A River (2009)
----
HEWEY CALLOWAY SERIES:
Six Bits a Day (2005) PREQUEL
The Good Old Boys 1979 #1
The Smiling Country #2
----
LONE STAR RISING:TxRangersTrilogy 1-3*****
The Buckskin LIne: Tx Rangers #1 *****
Badger Boy: Tx Rangers #2 *****
The Way of the Coyote: Tx Rangers #3 *****
Rangers Trail: Tx Rangers #4 ****
Texas Vendetta: Tx Rangers #5
Jericho's Road: Tx Rangers #6
Hard Trail to Follow: TR#7
Other Men's Horses: TR#8
Texas Standoff: TR#9

Old 08-06-2015, 01:22 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,258,672 times
Absolutely agree about True Women. I love that movie. My aunt studied all our family history and wrote a book about the early history of Kingland for their genealogy society. That movie fits perfect with the life my family was living in Texas including a Texas Ranger turned legislator and a wife at home without him dealing with hostile Comanche. Also really enjoyed the Bullock Museum last summer especially the movie about Texas.

When you visit the Alamo go see the movie at the Rivercenter IMAX first. It really helps to understand the significance of the Alamo especially since the area around it is cluttered up with tacky shops. We also got a lot out of the diorama display owned by Phil Collins. It was in a little shop to the left of the Alamo gardens. The narration of the battle was really moving.

Welcome home! Hope your daughter really comes to love her heritage here

Oh and yes, my son just took Texas History last year in 7th grade. Not sure when it's taught in HS.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:27 PM

15,242 posts, read 35,450,089 times
Quote:
Not sure when it's taught in HS.
Pretty sure it isn't taught in HS - only American and world history.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,162,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spchtx View Post

Yes, Texas History is still taught in 7th grade.
One thing you can do is ask the school for the name of the textbook used in 7th grade History and see if you can get a copy from the school (if they have surplus) or buy on the internet. Sometimes older versions of textbooks show up at 1/2 price books.

I grew up in NYC and learned NY history. I did sit down and read my son's 7th grade Texas history book to get a feel of Texas history. It was a good read without getting too far in depth on any single aspect which they tend to do with higher level history textbooks.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:34 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,109,977 times
I don't know what elementary level it was when I was in school, but the "text book" was in the form a comic book. Most of what I recall about it was focused on the events surrounding the Alamo, etc. You can still find "revised" versions of the original publication, titled: Texas History Movies.

Quote:
In terms of an educational model, the significance of Texas History Movies is difficult to overstate. Though collectors can rightly categorize its various editions as Platinum Age, Golden Age, Silver Age and Bronze Age comics, this series has an even more important standing. It was the very first comic book used as an officially issued classroom textbook. Likewise, it was part of a pioneering, corporately sponsored educational campaign revolving around comics used as textbooks. There has not been an education program like it since then...
When I was in college, a semester of Texas history was mandatory for all undergrads, regardless of their major. I presume it's still mandated by Texas state law as it was back then?

Old 08-06-2015, 07:07 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,241,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I don't know what elementary level it was when I was in school, but the "text book" was in the form a comic book.
I remember that small book. I've looked for an original copy for many years now. As a paperback, I guess many of the books did not survive.

The seventh grade would have been about 1962 for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas