Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2015, 02:57 PM

18 posts, read 74,881 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a family of four living in Southern California and we want to make the move to Texas. We have lived in four different states; Maui (7years) Colorado, Oregon and California but we feel our season is up in Socal. My husband has 2 MA degrees and will be looking for a job in Education, Christian preferred but we are completely open. So where would you recommend? what city/area do you love? Any certain school, University, College that you would recommend him applying to? Our Children are 3 and 1 so a safe, family friendly, great schools, and affordable living are things we need, but we are really open to anywhere in the state that provides that and a great job! Thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 06:50 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,055,156 times
I noticed that 25 people have viewed your post. None have responded. Perhaps the "Christian preferred" scared them off. Tyler has many private Christian Schools thru grade 12. Most are growing. Lower pay, but you did say, University/College. Not in Tyler. I know Christians teaching at Tyler Junior College and the University of Texas at Tyler. Total enrollment around 20,000.
Now, I know that is a difficult Missionary field as compared to Private "church" colleges/universities.

Just look up the listed Christian Colleges, Universities in Texas. Maybe something will fit. Are you prepared for the brutal Texas heat? You should be checking it out now, way to hot. lol Good Luck

Old 08-09-2015, 01:36 PM

16 posts, read 17,185 times
I would recommend that you stay where you are. There is nothing in TX that you can't find in CA. The grass is NOT greener on the other side.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:04 PM

87 posts, read 375,137 times
I'm not an expert in that field, but I can weigh in on a couple of colleges that I am familiar with. Both are affiliated (and I don't know how that translates exactly) with the Baptist General Convention of Texas.

Howard Payne University - Brownwood - hputx.edu - this is my Alma Mater. Very small liberal arts school. Brownwood is nothing exciting, just a small-ish town with your basic amenities. I did recently notice that they have an Aldi!

University of Mary Hardin Baylor - Belton - umhb.edu - this is the more "well-off" university in the Texas Baptist arena. Lovely campus; just built a fantastic new football/sports complex. Known for their nursing and education programs. Belton is also nothing exciting, but is right next to Temple, which is a little larger and is booming, and only 45 minutes from the Georgetown/Round Rock/Austin metro area.

Unfortunately, all of the Christian schools I'm familiar with (with the exception of Dallas Baptist and Houston Baptist) are going to be in very small towns. That may be OK with you, but just be aware of that fact. Dallas Baptist is fairly well-known, and in fact had their baseball team in the College World Series this year!

Good luck with your move, but as someone already said, look before you leap. . . everything is not all sunshine and roses in Texas!

Old 08-10-2015, 05:06 PM

5,350 posts, read 7,628,135 times
If you are looking for university teaching jobs then this is the wrong forum and frankly if you are looking for university jobs on a forum then you are far out of the academic loop and you need to educate yourself about how hiring in academia works.

If you are looking for K-12 teaching jobs then you will need Texas teaching licenses for all public school jobs. The TEA is your go to source for all things related to teacher certification in Texas. If you are looking to teach at private Christian K-12 schools then you don't need state teaching certification. But then average pay for teachers at private Christian schools is going to be about $20,000 per year. Can you live on that, even in Texas? Most of the private school teachers I know are married to higher earning spouses. The high end private prep schools have salaries comparable to public schools but those jobs are very competitive.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:39 PM

18 posts, read 74,881 times
Thank you all for your response, I appreciate it

Old 08-12-2015, 10:20 AM

51 posts, read 107,489 times
Hello,
I can't contribute much other that we just did that move from SoCal to Houston.i must say it feels fine so far but we are only here since a few weeks so more time needed to really get an impression. We went with our feeling throughout our search for a nice warm place to live but with lower housing costs than Los angeles. We travelled to Houston and Miami and found it here better for families than the greater Miami area because of a much stronger middle class. We found jobs here after a four month search and once we had them we moved with odomionion and a nice drive through Grand Canyon and the Hopi reserve to Houston. I would really recommend also to travel to your new place before any major decision. After that first get jobs and only then let go lovely SoCal.
Greetings :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas