U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:04 PM

3,975 posts, read 6,920,466 times

Advertisements

This question will come out wrong, so forgive me.

but since Hispanics aren't really considered a race, how long does one stay Hispanic before being absorbed into a race?

for ex, if you look at chart 5
The Changing Face of Texas: Population Projections and Implications - The Face of Texas - Economic Research - FRB Dallas

it says most of the state will be Hispanic by 2040. but is that accurate? the longer a family has been in the US, the more they are assimilated. by 3rd or 4th generation, the only attachment they may have to Mexico might be liking tacos. so, what really makes a Hispanic Hispanic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 09:34 PM

5,567 posts, read 9,540,060 times
The same as how long one is British when they live in Virginia for 5 decades.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:35 PM

3,975 posts, read 6,920,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
The same as how long one is British when they live in Virginia for 5 decades.
yeah, but there kids and grand kids arent still called british, but a hispanic is...

Old 01-26-2008, 10:26 PM

378 posts, read 949,554 times
Well Hispanic isn't a race but so isn't a race but British isn't ether. Hispanic is a word that describes a Latino whose born in America. The reason I said that British isn't a race is cause that word is more of a nationality then a race. The races are Black, Latin, White, Native American , East Asian, Middle Eastern, Pacific Islander, and Mixed. You can be British and be black, white or brown cause that's a nationality not a race. Race falls under skin and culture a like. This is especially seen in America the worlds melting pot of mixed cultures and flavors.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:30 PM

253 posts, read 1,217,544 times
I want to throw in my .02 seeing as I live in a very "Hispanic" area. I work in an office of about 20 people, some of whom have very Spanish names yet they don't speak a word of Spanish, not even Spanglish. On the other side, one woman looks very Hispanic (dark skin, dark hair) but again doesn't speak a word of Spanish and her last name (maiden) is Polish sounding.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:39 AM

5,031 posts, read 7,968,033 times
I thought I was a Caucasian. I think over the years, this race thing and names of races has become too confusing. Maybe we should revert back to the archaic days. Hispanics are listed under race categories today.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 01-27-2008 at 07:58 AM..

Old 01-27-2008, 10:24 AM

8,633 posts, read 16,295,641 times
I understand what you mean. My nieces are half Puerto Rican and Half White American. They look Puerto Rican and have a latin last name, but other than that, don't speak the language or really hold any of the customs from that culture. Their brothers are the same way, although one of them lives with his dad and speaks spanish. My neighbor is that way also. We talked about it one day, and she says she knows her heritage but doesn't consider herself anything but American, especially since she was born here, as were her parents. They never taught her spanish, and she feels no need to learn it. I'll stop here since her views in her differences from people just arriving here from Mexico gets off topic.....

Old 01-27-2008, 10:36 AM

14,755 posts, read 15,111,217 times
I am really sick of the constant jockeying of what groups are supposed to be called.

Most of the Hispanics we refer to in CA and TX are of Mexican descent. It is weird how the word Mexican has taken on an almost sinful meaning. Its root word is the word Mexico...a country. Now, we wouldn't bristle at the word Guatemalan or Panamanian, with the root being the name of their countries? I think I pissed off a college friend (whose parents are from Mexico) when I told him I went to look for a car at a dealership in a largely Mexican area of California.

And when and why did Oriental become unpopular and incorrect? We still have Oriental rugs and many Asian food markets still show the words Oriental food on their signs.

Now, is black or African-American correct this week?

And when will we Italians, along with the Greeks, the Spaniards and the Portuguese demand that we be called Mediterraneans?

Just amazing....

Old 01-27-2008, 10:53 AM

8,633 posts, read 16,295,641 times
I sort of agree with you. It makes my head spin sometimes I can't understand why someone who is from Mexico doesn't like being called Mexican. I worked with a black girl who didn't like the term African American. She told us to please just say black around her, since she was born in America, even if her Ancestors were from Africa she was not. Black American was her favorite term.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:22 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,192,811 times
[quote=love roses;2638652]I sort of agree with you. It makes my head spin sometimes I can't understand why someone who is from Mexico doesn't like being called Mexican.

It has to do with shame, to some it reminds them of the scrimping and trying to make a life in mexico, coming here then the news, always shows crimes, and talk of illigals,
for instance I wore a beautiful skirt with a silver belt and a torqoise blouse, and sandels, my brothers complemented me on my dress, said Ilook nice, very ethnic looking, mexican indian style or southwest look, my dad on the other hand looked at me, with shock and said go change, why are you looking like that when we come so far,work so hard (putting the past behind us) meaning assimulating into the american public, even thou mexican americans are americans as well as indians, but my father wanted no memories of slaving and the shame associated with our culture. He refused to speak spanish around us, We learned that it was a shameful thing to be mexican?hispanic/Indian........to the point I would scrub my skin and so I could be white. all of my siblings have married white......and my father was pleased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas