Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:46 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,101,863 times

Advertisements

I was hoping the worst of the oil bust was over. I don't live in Texas but this type of thing spills over into other states.

Texas lost 13,700 jobs in August, the second monthly job loss this year | | Dallas Morning News

Job growth in Texas has been really bad for 2015. There is a possibility that when revisions come out in the beginning of 2016 they could look even worse than we see now. Yet somehow, unemployment has remained extremely low. Texas has not seen an unemployment rate of 4.1% since the Clinton era. I wonder if seasonal factors are what is keeping the unemployment rate low and that a rise is immanent in the later half of the year. Even though the BLS makes an effort to seasonally adjust state unemployment numbers, variation does arise and sometimes significantly.

Do things feel bad in Texas right now? I'm kind of curious how it must be over there because when I see a 4.1% unemployment rate I think to myself how great the economy must be, but the job numbers just aren't adding up.

Here in Florida things are better than I have ever seen since I was a teenager, but Florida has a negligible energy sector and is one of the states to benefit most from oil price reductions. Everyone seems to be hiring and small businesses are thriving. Sorry to brag but since it only happens once every oil bust I'm just going to toot Florida's horn because we are on track to be #2 job creator in the nation this year, only behind California. . Florida is always playing third fiddle to Texas and California.......

Strangely, New York lost 13.7 thousand jobs as well. Don't know why that happened....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 05:53 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,806,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
I was hoping the worst of the oil bust was over. I don't live in Texas but this type of thing spills over into other states.

Texas lost 13,700 jobs in August, the second monthly job loss this year | | Dallas Morning News

Job growth in Texas has been really bad for 2015. There is a possibility that when revisions come out in the beginning of 2016 they could look even worse than we see now. Yet somehow, unemployment has remained extremely low. Texas has not seen an unemployment rate of 4.1% since the Clinton era. I wonder if seasonal factors are what is keeping the unemployment rate low and that a rise is immanent in the later half of the year. Even though the BLS makes an effort to seasonally adjust state unemployment numbers, variation does arise and sometimes significantly.

Do things feel bad in Texas right now? I'm kind of curious how it must be over there because when I see a 4.1% unemployment rate I think to myself how great the economy must be, but the job numbers just aren't adding up.

Here in Florida things are better than I have ever seen since I was a teenager, but Florida has a negligible energy sector and is one of the states to benefit most from oil price reductions. Everyone seems to be hiring and small businesses are thriving. Sorry to brag but since it only happens once every oil bust I'm just going to toot Florida's horn because we are on track to be #2 job creator in the nation this year, only behind California. . Florida is always playing third fiddle to Texas and California.......

Strangely, New York lost 13.7 thousand jobs as well. Don't know why that happened....
Unemployment does not take into account discouraged workers, or those that have been left out of employment for x amount of weeks/months. I forget the exact number of what x is, but I'm sure someone will correct me below. In Houston, only those directly in the oil industry on the upstream side are feeling the pressure. The residential growth has slowed from a boom but still happening at national averages, and many retail/office projects are still going up. Of course, people often say that it takes about 12-18 months to actually feel the effect of a recession, so perhaps you can check in at about 6 months from now since it has been roughly a year since oil prices fell.

Old 09-18-2015, 05:55 PM

4,500 posts, read 5,000,563 times
That's because the un-employment numbers are false. The government quit counting those out of work who have quit looking and consider part time, low wage jobs as gains. I notice in our area, all of the fast food joints are hiring but they're the only ones.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:25 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,101,863 times
Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States

This is a cool chart showing broad spectrum unemployment rates for states.

The broader spectrum unemployment rates are improving too. You are right though that part time jobs have made up a lot of the job growth, even in previously strong economies like Texas.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:36 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,935,522 times
I would not call this a bust in Texas at this point.I think its a downturn.I was living here in Midland during '98 and '99 and it was scary so we are not close to that point yet here.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:16 AM

26,152 posts, read 21,387,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
That's because the un-employment numbers are false. The government quit counting those out of work who have quit looking and consider part time, low wage jobs as gains. I notice in our area, all of the fast food joints are hiring but they're the only ones.
The numbers aren't false

When did the govt count those who stopped looking for work?

Old 09-20-2015, 10:00 AM

4,500 posts, read 5,000,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The numbers aren't false

When did the govt count those who stopped looking for work?

When it made the unemployment numbers look bad ! Do you not read a newspaper ?

Old 09-20-2015, 01:10 PM

26,152 posts, read 21,387,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
When it made the unemployment numbers look bad ! Do you not read a newspaper ?

That's not the correct answer. When did govt drop discouraged unemployed folks from the unemployment number? Can you tell me the last year in which they were included in the number?

Old 09-20-2015, 03:43 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,532,016 times
I believe these are U3 figures.

You should look for U6.

They represent economy better.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:51 AM

5,251 posts, read 6,340,994 times
The latest stats show most of Texas' job losses in the Houston area. The Dallas side of the DFW metroplex is still gaining jobs, Ft Worth is lagging, and the rest of the state is stable.

August 2015:
Dallas-Plano-Irving Metro: +7,300
Austin-Round Rock MSA: +1,200
San Antonio-New Braunfels MSA: -1,000
Ft. Worth-Arlington Metro: -2,300
Houston-The Woodlands-Sugarland MSA: -11,800
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas