Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 11:48 AM

14 posts, read 13,840 times

Advertisements

another question...? why would Dallas Residents not consider Desoto a so called nice area? crime, the housing, or the local economy.. other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 11:50 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC55 View Post
Hmmm. Thanx, i guess those realtors just doing wat they do..."selling us a dream" Lol. A smaller town doesn't 't seem like a problem as long as I don't have to drive an hour or more to town. But is Desoto considered small? And how far from the city?
Weatherford, TX is probably about 30 minutes or so to Fort Worth. It's not tiny (I lived in a town of 3000) but its not that big. It's not really sketchy or anything, its a nice enough place and you're never too far from Fort Worth, Arlington, Dallas or other metroplex areas. Maybe it's a place you'd like to check out? You get more bang for your buck in more rural areas than in suburbs right by the city. For a low price in many places by Dallas, you'll probably end up in a less than desirable neighbourhood.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:34 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
another question...? why would Dallas Residents not consider Desoto a so called nice area? crime, the housing, or the local economy.. other?
The Dallas forum is dominated by posters from the Collin County suburbs. I'm not speaking for those that post here, but I'd say demographics play a big part in why the suburbs north of Dallas are a lot more popular on here than the suburbs south of Dallas. For example, Desoto is nearly 70% black, while Frisco is 65% white. A lot of people will try and deny that race is a factor, and then they'll go on to mention the large number of Asians in Frisco as a show of tolerance for diversity. I think race is a factor for a lot of people. The schools in Desoto aren't terrible, but they also aren't considered good academically, so that's another reason. Also as others have mentioned, there are more job opportunities on the north side than on the south side.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:04 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Crime rates are higher in southern suburbs, and they have less shopping, amenities, etc.

There are no behavioral health hospitals in, or close to, Weatherford.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:23 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Thanx 4 yur imput. But we were looking in Desoto. I thought that was a nice area. Especially when i looked at the housing prices on sum realtor sites
What you desribed as neighborbood "wants" (close to nightlife, near a variety of jobs) doesn't mesh with DeSoto. DeSoto has little to no nightlife (unless you consider going to a movie or Chili's "nightlife") and ir's a 30 minute, $70+ uber into Dallas for nightlife. DeSoto is a typical middle class suburb. If that's your jam, then take a look, but it's not what you originally asked about.

As others have mentioned, the southern suburbs of Dallas are the least expensive because they are the furthest from major job centers, have lower achieving schools, and significantly less commercial activity. The south side does have the prettiest terrain in DFW as the southern-most suburbs' terrain looks more hill country and less prairie.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:33 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
The Dallas forum is dominated by posters from the Collin County suburbs. I'm not speaking for those that post here, but I'd say demographics play a big part in why the suburbs north of Dallas are a lot more popular on here than the suburbs south of Dallas. For example, Desoto is nearly 70% black, while Frisco is 65% white. A lot of people will try and deny that race is a factor, and then they'll go on to mention the large number of Asians in Frisco as a show of tolerance for diversity. I think race is a factor for a lot of people. The schools in Desoto aren't terrible, but they also aren't considered good academically, so that's another reason. Also as others have mentioned, there are more job opportunities on the north side than on the south side.
Exactly. The Dallas Forum seriously lacks regular posters from the southern suburbs and most of the negativity comes from people living 30+ miles away who have never resided in the area or even spent an appreciable amount of time there. The situation has gotten better in the eight years I've been posting here. A lot less bashing and steering attempts, but for the reasons mentioned in RonnieinDallas' post, never the universal support the northern suburbs receive. Just something to keep in mind while exploring forum discussions on any of the suburbs south of Dallas.

Regarding DeSoto.... I lived there for 16 years (1990-2006). It is a nice, safe community with a variety of neighborhoods and housing. Most neighborhoods in the city, be it the typical subdivision or the exclusive homes in northwest DeSoto, are very well-maintained. The city is predominantly African-American and demographically middle-class, in line with most of suburban southwest Dallas County. The more upscale areas housing higher-income professionals are mostly found west of Hampton Road, which divides the city in half. If you are really interested in DeSoto, my advice would be to come and visit the areas and neighborhoods you are interested in. If you decide to rent a house rather than an apartment, find a reputable realtor who lives in the area and is familiar with the local neighborhoods. Don't write it off sight unseen.

Best of luck.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:14 AM

14 posts, read 13,840 times
Wow! Thank you all for your very informative and interesting comments. I don't mind driving 30 mins to nightlife venues, because i don't think im gonna party every weekend, however it's good to know. Diverse is good, i like all people that treat me the same. Never had a problem and dont want to start now. Black, white, Hispanic etc...no problem as long as we all have that same common goal...* Keep your property up, respect me and mine, and lets work together keeping the neighborhood safe.*

Old 09-26-2015, 02:11 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
The Dallas forum is dominated by posters from the Collin County suburbs.
Which isn't great, because the city of Dallas is so much different than the Collin County suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas