U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:01 AM

3,114 posts, read 7,156,578 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, what is the most changed city (for better or worse) in Texas since 1980. It can be anything from skyline, population, demographics, attitudes, economy, etc.

I was going to start a poll, but I thought it would be better to hear opinions rather than look at a poll. (the elections are giving us enough of those already).

My choice would have to go to Austin!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 09:53 AM

14,864 posts, read 39,656,935 times
I'd also say Dallas. I'm a Native Dallasite and it has changed A LOT since 1980! Here are some of the things I remember from the early 80's for the Dallas area:

1. Frisco - Home of the "Fightin Coons" was the mascot for that little bitty, sleepy farm town WAY OUT north of Dallas. There were NO NEW HOMES being built out there and it was a couple of turns on small F.M. roads to get there.

2. Plano:
To get from Carrollton (where I grew up) over to Plano Sr. High (the ONLY high school in Plano ISD then) was again a drive down a couple of Farm to Market roads that were nothing but farms and a few housing developements.

To go out to Southfork Ranch was a WAY OUT there trek to the middle of NO WHERE! Nothing for miles and miles.

Collin Creek Mall - was it even open in 1980??? Gosh, I can't remember.

The Dallas North Tollway ENDED at LBJ. From there north it was just a nice wide road until you got to Belt Line or so.

3. Carrollton:
Josey Ranch was on the east AND west side of Josey Lane and still stretched far east and south.

Josey Lane stopped at Hebron Pkwy. Hebron was a small town still out there a ways with NO new development, a small Bapt church and a couple of small homes and the remains of an old store. There was a farm right on Hebron across from where Josey ended. Nothing but cotton fields as far as you could see.

Denton Dr was a small two lane blacktop road that I used even in the mid-80's to travel to 121 to commute to Denton. I remember some of the old farms that were there.

Marsh Lane north of Trinity Mills was a VERY narrow blacktop road that two cars could barely pass each other on. The old farm that used to be out there, white two story house w/ a red roof. Back south of there on Marsh Lane it was still a small road but better than the north end. There were still some older homes (small frame shotgun houses) that were lived in that had once been part of the "black community" in the area.

Keller Springs did not go thru all the way to I35/Stemmons. Whitlock deadended at Denton Dr in front of the church.

There is MUCH more of that side of town that has changed from then. Oh, all of those apartments along Frankford and Josey.... not there. Two small commuter planes crashed over that area in 1982 and the debris rained down. Our street was the first street open to go down when it happened. Part of the fuselage landed on our roof. We could still find small shards of glass even 10 years later in the ground.

4. Rockwall - a small country town way out on the east side of town.

5. Irving area along 114 and Freeport Pkwy. If the plane crash that occured there back in the mid-80's happened now........... YIKES!!! There would be a lot more casualties on the ground.

Valley Ranch - WHERE? LOL!!! Las Colinas - WHAT? Nothing but vacant rolling land out there then. Northlake College was about it along w/ a few other commercial buildings.

6. Addison - The Majic Time Machine. Bout it. Well, there were a few things along Belt Line by then but not much.

7. Dallas itself - gosh, where to start........... The "Green Building" was COOL! Texas-OU weekend on Commerce Street . Texas Jam concerts in June at the Cotton Bowl. Prestonwood Mall was new and the ice rink was neat.

Gosh, there is a LOT!!! I just can't even think of it all.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:10 AM

595 posts, read 2,556,533 times
Frisco Texas!!!!
It is unbelievable...for a little bitty country town to become so huge! I am friends with people who go back 5 generations in Frisco...they just grieve the growth.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 AM

16,086 posts, read 38,520,156 times
Some of us in Dallas aren't too happy about it, either!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:20 AM

9,191 posts, read 20,388,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
In your opinion, what is the most changed city (for better or worse) in Texas since 1980. It can be anything from skyline, population, demographics, attitudes, economy, etc.

I was going to start a poll, but I thought it would be better to hear opinions rather than look at a poll. (the elections are giving us enough of those already).

I very much agree. Austin 30 years ago was just GREAT!!

Now it is completely overrun.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 AM

16,086 posts, read 38,520,156 times
Seems the turning point in Austin was when they put in a parking lot and "Hippie Hollow" sign on the road at Lake Travis...

Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,732,518 times
I'll say Austin because I live in Hutto and it's being sucked into the Austin metro, with growth extending out toward Taylor to the East, Marble falls to the west, Georgetown/Salado to the North, and Buda/Dripping Springs to SW, and Bastrop/Elgin to the SE. Not even 5 years ago Hutto had 1200 people and 1 stop light. Now it's nearly 17,300 and 4 stop lights and more things coming! I think they expect 60,000 by 2030. The Clear Lake area South of Houston has grown a ton, and so has Houston as a whole, so that's my second choice.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:47 PM

50,863 posts, read 41,891,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post

I'd have to agree wholeheartedly with your choice of Austin. I've seen lots of changes in thirty years of taking trips down there. I still remember a flashing light at I-35 at Braker Lane in the 1970's. Long since, that has changed. But the overall complexion of Austin has changed dramatically over the years. I'm still trying to convince my mother that it's not just a college town. It's so much more now.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,732,518 times
You may also be surprised to see how much around Lake Travis has been developed. McMansions galore.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:15 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,951,485 times
Austin, Houston, DFW, and SA in that order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas