Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 9,707 times

Advertisements

I have lived here too long, or long enough to know that you can't compare Midland nor Odessa to San Angelo. I'm middle-aged, not young, either. I agree that San Angelo home prices are way too high in comparison to the wages. Property tax is another big hit. Wages are higher in Midland and Odessa, so the home prices aren't outrageous. In Abilene the cost of homes are much less, more comparable to the wages. An employee at the Workforce told me San Angelo is known for having some of the lowest wages in the entire state of TX. That speaks volumes, as Texas is huge.
After moving to the San Angelo area we were surprised. It astounded me that the wages were so low. Big Spring pays a higher general wage, and that was shocking. I couldn't believe how much poverty resides in the city, as you can see by viewing "Tent City" by Loop 306 and the Concho River. It's a mirage because it is one of the best looking cities in West Texas. Odessa is one of the ugliest cities in the US, unless you like flat, barren, treeless land filled with cactus, weeds, stickers, garbage, trash, backward people, junk, mangled furniture, and a dilapidated landscape. I couldn't be paid enough to live in Odessa. If you like crime you'll love Odessa. It's #1 in Texas.
The takeaway from this is that San Angelo is one of the most livable places in West TX. In regards to the people, crime, beauty, access, education, and great leadership among many other things, it is one of the most pleasant cities in which to reside overall. The homes are more expensive, but it's because of supply and demand like someone else mentioned. It is one of the top 10 cities/towns in Texas on Texas Country Reporter. It is also telling when it is #10, or the top 10th city people are moving to in the entire state, according to the Texas Board of Realtors. The amount of new people to the San Angelo area is also visible when being inside the city itself.
If you want to live near San Angelo I suggest you explore the greater San Angelo area. There are many less expensive places in the general area. Ballinger, Barnhart, Big Lake, Bronte, Carlsbad, Christoval, Doole, Eden, El Dorado, Eola, Lohn, Melvin, Mertzon, Miles, Norton, Ozona, Paint Rock, Robert Lee, Rowena, Sonora, Sterling City, and Water Valley (to name a few) are great places to start. I hope this list helps decent people searching for a good community. West Texas definitely needs progress, since they are far behind most places in every aspect. Go San Angelo, Tom Green County, and surrounding areas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 07:54 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
I believe the reason for higher cost of housing is prolly higher West Texas Intermediate Prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas