Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 12:49 PM

45 posts, read 42,858 times

Advertisements

I've done a lot of different things. Painting. Server. Event style catering. Resurfacing tennis courts. Light electrical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 01:06 PM

Irving is just a jumping off point because we have friends that live there. It's not necessarily where we will stay.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:16 PM

500 posts, read 583,563 times
Do you have any licensing in any special area or even a CDL?
CDL = Commercial Drivers License

CDL drivers are in high demand even in the DFW area and the pay is going to be a bit higher than $2k per month.

Welding? That is a high demand job in the DFW area and the pay is very good! There is a school in Oklahoma that I think is 18 months and you can even work while going thru the program. This might be something that you should probably consider heavily as the cost of living in OK is going to be lower than DFW while you are going to school.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:52 AM

Something to consider tho I'm rather uncomfortable with the idea of driving a large truck.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:45 AM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,950 times
We moved from Buffalo to Austin with nothing basically but a job.

Both myself and my wife doubled our income within 5 years.

You basically need to double your income to afford a decent house and decent standard of life.

Stuff costs more than Buffalo, but some expenses are cheaper.

Overall we enjoy a better qualify of life, and nicer weather.

If you do work outside, you need to understand the Texas heat will kill you. We are lucky to both work office type jobs, so we are in the AC most of the day.

If I were in your shoes, I would look to be an apprentice Electrican, or Plumber. Those trades are well respected and you can make good money if you put effort into it. Also you won't rack up a ton of money on university loans, like we did.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:04 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
If you need the cheapest place in Greater Houston, try the Houston sub forum. The cheapest place in Texas would probably be the Harlingen-Brownsville area.

Old 11-07-2015, 11:02 AM

I'd much rather venture into technology for the long run. My dad's an electrician it's not exactly what I want for my life.

I'm curious to how you personally swung college while living in Texas. Did you live in a apartment?

Old 11-07-2015, 04:50 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
If you need the cheapest place in Greater Houston, try the Houston sub forum. The cheapest place in Texas would probably be the Harlingen-Brownsville area.
Cheap, yes.
Good jobs for someone who doesn't speak Spanish, no. Anything in the service industry there is going to require someone bilingual.
And the Rio Grande Valley has historically had the highest unemployment rate in Texas, usually near 10%.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonfaber View Post
I'm curious to how you personally swung college while living in Texas. Did you live in a apartment?
First year, commuted from home
Second year, dorm on campus
Third year and on, apartment

Then again, when I started college it was $3 per semester hour for Texas public colleges AND I had a job making good money for that time that was well above min wage. Those jobs no longer exist, well, they do but they are all now full timers and pay is stagnant with what it was in the late 80's.

Sadly, my kid is out of state for college at a large state flagship. Her OOS tuition is LESS than some friends are paying for in-state for a Texas public. The whole "costs more for OOS" is not always true.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintonfaber View Post
Something to consider tho I'm rather uncomfortable with the idea of driving a large truck.
UPS & FedEx drivers need a CDL but driving a delivery truck.
All kinds of jobs for people with a CDL that do not require one to drive an 18-wheeler.

Look at UPS now for temp holiday help. They have large distribution centers here in the Dallas area. A lot of their temp help can end up working full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas