Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:30 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
The thread started as a mass insult to Texans and their elected officials.
Then quickly evolved into an idiotic and inaccurate moral equivalency completely off topic:

It seems there is more unjustified hatred of Texans and Christians in this thread than anything else.
Well, I am the OP and a Texan. If you think our Legislature hasn't been an embarassment over a number of years and multiple issues, maybe you haven't been watching.

I don't think anyone has openly bashed Texans, and I specifically explained my justification for the post, and last time I checked, we were still free to openly dissent about decisions made by any of our elected officials.

I haven't made a personal comment on any posters or elected officials as people, and the only comments I've seen made regarding Christians are in response to self-aggrandizing sanctimonious b.s. usually accompanied by disparaging remarks about other religions.

So what exactly was your issue again?

Old 11-17-2015, 09:32 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Abbott: No Syrian refugees in Texas - Houston Chronicle

Find a way to validate your bigotry and blame Obama. Today is a good day for Texas Republicans.
I'm still waiting for the news media to call Abbott "Anti-constitutional"

Old 11-17-2015, 09:48 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
Quote:
It seems there is more unjustified hatred of Texans and Christians with this thread than anything else.
Christians don't turn away refugees. If you call yourself a Christian and want turn away those Syrians with their kids, I think you need to get off City Data for a while and go back to your Bible.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:52 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Well, I am the OP and a Texan. If you think our Legislature hasn't been an embarassment over a number of years and multiple issues, maybe you haven't been watching.

I don't think anyone has openly bashed Texans, and I specifically explained my justification for the post, and last time I checked, we were still free to openly dissent about decisions made by any of our elected officials.

I haven't made a personal comment on any posters or elected officials as people, and the only comments I've seen made regarding Christians are in response to self-aggrandizing sanctimonious b.s. usually accompanied by disparaging remarks about other religions.

So what exactly was your issue again?
Really, you need it explained again?

You started out with a mass insult and name-calling (stupid, bigotry) and how dare anyone disagree with your Obama!

When people disagreed with you, you threw more insults.

Then you went completely off topic (inquisition, crusades).

Which reminds me, you still haven't answered my previous question: are you expecting crusaders and inquisitors to sneak in with the refugees and get you? I mean, because they are today's major terrorist force in the world, right?

Old 11-17-2015, 09:58 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Im not going to go around living my life on a regular basis with an irrational fear of 1.6 billion people.
It's hard at times to comprehend what you mean with your words. Are you perhaps implying that people who don't have the same nonchalant attitude towards the recent terrorist attacks are going around living life on a regular basis with an irrational fear of 1.6 billion people and that you won't be one of them?

You have Muslim friends and you're championing them. OK, we get it.

You have a fascination with statistics and a love of math and have shown us all how you can reduce people's lives into mere stats. OK, we get it.

So, just out of morbid curiosity, let's just pretend we're some months down the road and you are sitting in a cafe having an ordinary dinner when the door bursts open and terrorists who later will be identified as being part of a group of Syrian refugees who were welcomed into our country begin shooting people at random. As they point their weapon at your head and just before they pull the trigger, I seriously doubt you are going to be thinking how ignorant people are to want to have some safety and security nets in place to prevent tragedies such as the one you are at the moment enduring. No, you are going to be just one more statistic, but look on the bright side, you are in such a minority that I would think it should make you feel so much better - right before the trigger is pulled. But actually. I'm thinking you would be sh*tting your pants in fear. Maybe you could tell the gunman you have Muslim friends and he would hug you rather than blow your brains out.

Your over simplification of what is happening in our world at this very moment is childish and although you are feverishly zealous in your behalf to convince the rest of us how foolish we are to be wary and cautious in our approach to the Syrian refugee problem, you should really know it doesn't all fit nicely into a cube of math equations and excuses for what has happened in the past centuries.

Oh yes, to refute in advance what I know is surely coming, you will be correct when you say we could each and everyone die at any given moment from just about anything. The difference here (as you would know if you could think rationally about this) is that sane people do their best to protect themselves from potentially dangerous situations, not embrace them.

While I might admire your bulldog mentality, I am really tired of it now. Overall, fanatics and zealots bore me to tears, so while you forged ahead championing your causes, I'll go straight ahead ignoring you and supporting the governors and all the people who want to use cautionary actions to prevent more tragedies on our soil.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:58 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
Christians don't turn away refugees. If you call yourself a Christian and want turn away those Syrians with their kids, I think you need to get off City Data for a while and go back to your Bible.
Intelligent, rational thinking people don't intentionally invite in potential danger until it's been vetted.
You do realize ancient cities had walls for a reason, right?

Are you a Christian? Or just an agnostic know-it-all who likes to lecture Christians about what they're supposed to think? Do you attend church? If you did, you'd probably know there are already several refugee programs churches in Texas are currently participating in. There are a lot of resettled refugees from India right now. Curious that you don't know this.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Really, you need it explained again?

You started out with a mass insult and name-calling (stupid, bigotry) and how dare anyone disagree with your Obama!

When people disagreed with you, you threw more insults.

Then you went completely off topic (inquisition, crusades).

Which reminds me, you still haven't answered my previous question: are you expecting crusaders and inquisitors to sneak in with the refugees and get you? I mean, because they are today's major terrorist force in the world, right?
I'm sure in your mind, you're making perfect sense, but I can assure you, you're not. If you want to have a conversation, by all means let's have it.

As far as comments regarding the crusades, I believe it was a specific response to a specific post, not a general comment. To take a one line quote in a thread with scores of posts and expect a justification for each one is a bit of a challenge, and runs contrary to the point of the thread. It sounds like you feel that you need a specific response to feel justified and win instead of having a discussion.

Congratulations; you "win". I totally am overwhelmed by your logic and sound, factual based comments. Well done, you have won the internet today and shouted down someone you disagreed with. It's Miller Time (tm)

Old 11-17-2015, 10:25 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:

Congratulations; you "win". I totally am overwhelmed by your logic and sound, factual based comments. Well done, you have won the internet today and shouted down someone you disagreed with. It's Miller Time (tm)
Ah, conceding with sarcasm. So typical.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Ah, conceding with sarcasm. So typical.
It's actually condescending.

Unless you actually meant conceding with sarcasm, but I'm not sure how the "so typical" applies. Good of you to edit out the other points though.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:39 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
I say let them in. But I'm a real Christian, so that's why I feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas