Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:49 PM

25 posts, read 31,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
Georgetown and Round Rock are north of Austin, safe, have a diverse population, arts and culture, and are within commenting distance to Austin. Perhaps worth considering.
I'll definitely look into those places. Is there any other information you can give me about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:21 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Well, from a Californian who would take an earthquake any day to a tornado or even a bad thunderstorm, do consider that tornadoes and violent thunderstorms are part of life in Texas unless you live in El Paso or no man's land like Alpine, Marfa, and Fort Davis.

In view of the tornadoes a few days ago in the Dallas area, really think about it. Even just a bad storm with straight line winds can tear roofs off houses and throw semis off roads. Lightning, as well, is something I can't stand and that's mainly because if it hits your home, it can start a fire. It happens several times a year somewhere in the DFW area. And hail. So damaging. No, it doesn't storm every day, but we can have very frightening weather in the spring time and in the case of a few days ago, even December.

So, I'm saying all this to you so you'll really take the dangerous weather here to heart. I wish I had because I wouldn't be here now if I had done my research.
Attached Thumbnails
Texas Pros Vs Cons: looking to move-weather.gif  

Old 12-30-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Well, from a Californian who would take an earthquake any day to a tornado or even a bad thunderstorm, do consider that tornadoes and violent thunderstorms are part of life in Texas unless you live in El Paso or no man's land like Alpine, Marfa, and Fort Davis.

In view of the tornadoes a few days ago in the Dallas area, really think about it. Even just a bad storm with straight line winds can tear roofs off houses and throw semis off roads. Lightning, as well, is something I can't stand and that's mainly because if it hits your home, it can start a fire. It happens several times a year somewhere in the DFW area. And hail. So damaging. No, it doesn't storm every day, but we can have very frightening weather in the spring time and in the case of a few days ago, even December.

So, I'm saying all this to you so you'll really take the dangerous weather here to heart. I wish I had because I wouldn't be here now if I had done my research.
I've looked over that map so many times, I probably have it memorized. Lol. The few problems are that the vast majority of safe areas are places that our seasonal affective disorder (SAD) becomes untolerable in winter. We are in Utah right now, and it's very safe here, but fall and winter are killers for us because we get so depressed. Then there's California, but we can't even afford that.

The other problem is that my husband is set on us scoping out Texas and I support him since I trust him. I promised I would do research so we can have a trip to look around seriously.

Obviously every place has pros and cons, and maybe I can learn to deal with the weather. Honestly, I would rather deal with weather than bears, which is why we didn't even consider Alaska, lol. Besides the fact that our SAD would rip us apart up there.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:37 PM

515 posts, read 557,827 times
I've been in TX for 15 years and don't know anyone who has been in a tornado, let alone been directly affected by one. I've only met 1 person who had seen one close up, and he was from Oklahoma. They are very rare even in Texas. With a good early warning system, tornados are even somewhat avoidable (for life, not property).

I've been in 2 earthquakes in California(Whittier and Northridge). Our slab cracked and the neighbor's carport caved in. For that reason, I wouldn't live near the San Andreas fault. Its not a question of if there is another devastating quake, its when.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Quack View Post
I've looked over that map so many times, I probably have it memorized. Lol. The few problems are that the vast majority of safe areas are places that our seasonal affective disorder (SAD) becomes untolerable in winter. We are in Utah right now, and it's very safe here, but fall and winter are killers for us because we get so depressed. Then there's California, but we can't even afford that.

The other problem is that my husband is set on us scoping out Texas and I support him since I trust him. I promised I would do research so we can have a trip to look around seriously.

Obviously every place has pros and cons, and maybe I can learn to deal with the weather. Honestly, I would rather deal with weather than bears, which is why we didn't even consider Alaska, lol. Besides the fact that our SAD would rip us apart up there.
It sounds like you have a plan. I've been thinking for quite a while now about leaving Texas and if I could afford the real estate, I'd move back to CA in a heartbeat.

I've scoped out as possibilities the following states ... VA, ID, and UT. I had a longer list, but I've narrowed it down tremendously.

I did put in a storm cellar in 1997 after the F-5 that killed so many in Jarrell near Austin. I said I would never live in TX without one and was told we'd get one, but never did. That was in 1978 and I had enough of them, so nearly 20 years later, I got one and have some peace of mind with it.

Are you in the northern or southern part of UT? I'm thinking about the southern part. I understand with a young family that SAD would be tough, but I'm 67 so I don't know if it would bother me or not. I do love the sun, but I surely could stand a place where summer wasn't so beastly.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
I've been in TX for 15 years and don't know anyone who has been in a tornado, let alone been directly affected by one. I've only met 1 person who had seen one close up, and he was from Oklahoma. They are very rare even in Texas. With a good early warning system, tornados are even somewhat avoidable (for life, not property).

I've been in 2 earthquakes in California(Whittier and Northridge). Our slab cracked and the neighbor's carport caved in. For that reason, I wouldn't live near the San Andreas fault. Its not a question of if there is another devastating quake, its when.
I don't really think it matters if we know anyone or not who has been in a tornado. I haven't, but I know several people who have been. I had one close to me this past mother's day, about five miles away, but it wasn't a killer. In 2000, I had one near me again and had I looked out my front door, I would have seen it, but I was too scared and couldn't get to my storm cellar fast enough. That one killed two people. There were a few sighted in my county on December 26, but they didn't touch down.

They aren't rare at all in Texas and don't know why you would think that. There were nine the other day that touched down and even more that didn't. Just the average in a year that touch down in Texas is 132. Even the violent thunderstorms are nothing to sneeze over. The map I posted above states DFW as the worst place to live for weather events.

I lived in CA from 1950 to 1978 and was in two quakes. The first one I do not remember as I was only four. I never even felt a tremor until I was 16 and then I was in the one in 1971 that was centered in Sylmar. Yes, it was scary, but they are fewer and farther between. I have a thing about tornadoes picking up cattle, cars, semis, houses, people and the like and tossing them in the air. In an earthquake, the ground shakes, the houses may crumble in a bad one, but they're not thrown up in the air making missiles out of the debris. And, when the ground shakes, if one can just get out of a building and stand in the open, he or she is pretty safe. Of course, if Los Angeles has a big one, it would be catastrophic. But, I do not believe it's a matter of when. Sure, there will be more just like there will be more tornadoes in Texas. We have to pick our poison and I wish I had stayed with the poison of earthquakes rather than what goes on in Texas' weather.

A slab cracking and a carport caving in is nothing compared to what a tornado can do. Sure, much of Northride was ruined, so it depends on where one is located. My heart goes out to Glenn Heights, Garland, and Rowlett and they were really hit hard.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:35 PM

515 posts, read 557,827 times
Quote:
I don't really think it matters if we know anyone or not who has been in a tornado. I haven't, but I know several people who have been. I had one close to me this past mother's day, about five miles away, but it wasn't a killer. In 2000, I had one near me again and had I looked out my front door, I would have seen it, but I was too scared and couldn't get to my storm cellar fast enough. That one killed two people. There were a few sighted in my county on December 26, but they didn't touch down.

They aren't rare at all in Texas and don't know why you would think that. There were nine the other day that touched down and even more that didn't. Just the average in a year that touch down in Texas is 132. Even the violent thunderstorms are nothing to sneeze over. The map I posted above states DFW as the worst place to live for weather events.

I lived in CA from 1950 to 1978 and was in two quakes. The first one I do not remember as I was only four. I never even felt a tremor until I was 16 and then I was in the one in 1971 that was centered in Sylmar. Yes, it was scary, but they are fewer and farther between. I have a thing about tornadoes picking up cattle, cars, semis, houses, people and the like and tossing them in the air. In an earthquake, the ground shakes, the houses may crumble in a bad one, but they're not thrown up in the air making missiles out of the debris. And, when the ground shakes, if one can just get out of a building and stand in the open, he or she is pretty safe. Of course, if Los Angeles has a big one, it would be catastrophic. But, I do not believe it's a matter of when. Sure, there will be more just like there will be more tornadoes in Texas. We have to pick our poison and I wish I had stayed with the poison of earthquakes rather than what goes on in Texas' weather.

A slab cracking and a carport caving in is nothing compared to what a tornado can do. Sure, much of Northride was ruined, so it depends on where one is located. My heart goes out to Glenn Heights, Garland, and Rowlett and they were really hit hard.
Right. We choose our poison. My point is, that my experience with earthquakes was more traumatizing since I was in class in Jr. High when the quake rattled Whittier. It felt like the building was shaking apart as everyone ran for the door(this was before they started to teach you to get under your desk).

When I moved to Texas, I was fascinated by the thunderstorms and still like to sit outside and watch them roll in. Unfortunately. tornadoes are a by product of the most severe storms. Not to downplay the devastation in Garland/Rowlett, but to have that few lives lost speaks a lot for the early warning system in place, it could have been much worse.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Are you in the northern or southern part of UT? I'm thinking about the southern part. I understand with a young family that SAD would be tough, but I'm 67 so I don't know if it would bother me or not. I do love the sun, but I surely could stand a place where summer wasn't so beastly.
I live in the more northern part of UT, but I have been to the St George area many times. The winters are much more mild, although they still get some snow. The summers are hot, but not as hot as Texas! The housing is also VERY affordable, and if you think deserts are beautiful, you'll love it there. When it rains, the red cliffs and sands turn an even deeper and richer red. Very beautiful. (: That being said, I don't know much about the other southern areas of Utah. D;

Quote:
When I moved to Texas, I was fascinated by the thunderstorms and still like to sit outside and watch them roll in.
I also love to watch thunderstorms, but we don't get very many.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Right. We choose our poison. My point is, that my experience with earthquakes was more traumatizing since I was in class in Jr. High when the quake rattled Whittier. It felt like the building was shaking apart as everyone ran for the door(this was before they started to teach you to get under your desk).

When I moved to Texas, I was fascinated by the thunderstorms and still like to sit outside and watch them roll in. Unfortunately. tornadoes are a by product of the most severe storms. Not to downplay the devastation in Garland/Rowlett, but to have that few lives lost speaks a lot for the early warning system in place, it could have been much worse.
Gosh, I was raised in CA and we had the duck and cover drills in the 1950s.

I agree, it was scary to be in the Sylmar quake but every time a severe storm is upon us, I panic as a tornado can spawn out of nowhere. I hate lightning, high winds, and hail, too. In 37 years, I've never gotten used to them and my heart pounds so rapidly when we have one, which is very often.

Yes, it could have been much worse and if the people on the highway had taken cover rather than remaining in their vehicles, the death toll would have been quite less. I believe, really, only one person needed to be on the road and she was killed, an EMT lady. Well, that's if she was on a call she had to be on the road.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Quack View Post
I live in the more northern part of UT, but I have been to the St George area many times. The winters are much more mild, although they still get some snow. The summers are hot, but not as hot as Texas! The housing is also VERY affordable, and if you think deserts are beautiful, you'll love it there. When it rains, the red cliffs and sands turn an even deeper and richer red. Very beautiful. (: That being said, I don't know much about the other southern areas of Utah. D;

I also love to watch thunderstorms, but we don't get very many.
St. George might be a little too hot for me but then again, if I can stand it here, I can stand St. George. It seems the older I get, the heat doesn't bother me as much. It ranks #2 for livability in Utah and Hurricane ranks #1. I was looking at the Cedar City area, too, even though they get more snow.

Last edited by Yac; 11-09-2020 at 01:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas