Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:45 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times

Advertisements

True, but now the big tankers and trucks don't have to stop at lights in small towns and places they can just zoom on. Cut time in half to travel to Galveston or Port of Houston. Also the same for regular drivers as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
We've been able to move military supplies out of Ft Hood for the past 50 years and it became the largest in the world with the highways it has, so not sure why we need to spend the tax money to upgrade to an interstate now, but whatever, it's just a few billion in waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 01:11 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
True, but now the big tankers and trucks don't have to stop at lights in small towns and places they can just zoom on
If it was that important, they could just have a cop wave them through for a $fiver. It'll probably destroy the small towns that needed some of those people to stop.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:18 PM

If any thing it will spawn new businesses, bucees, truck stops, Whataburgers and things like that in those towns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
If it was that important, they could just have a cop wave them through for a $fiver. It'll probably destroy the small towns that needed some of those people to stop.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:49 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
For clarity, it won't just serve Fort Hood. Once completed, I-14 will connect Fort Gordon near Augusta, GA, Fort Benning near Columbus, GA, Fort Polk, LA, Fort Hood, TX, and Fort Bliss, TX.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:33 AM

Great Point thanks for clarity!! The point I was trying to make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
For clarity, it won't just serve Fort Hood. Once completed, I-14 will connect Fort Gordon near Augusta, GA, Fort Benning near Columbus, GA, Fort Polk, LA, Fort Hood, TX, and Fort Bliss, TX.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:28 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Apart from Fort Polk, which seems almost intentionally isolated, all of those bases are very well connected to the Federal highway system already and would barely benefit from I-14. If this interstate costs $1 million/lane/mile (which is actually low-balling it significantly) and is roughly 1000 miles long, then taxpayers are paying $4 billion to shave off, at the very most, an hour of transport time between military bases. That kind of money is far more wisely spent elsewhere.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:29 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Apart from Fort Polk, which seems almost intentionally isolated, all of those bases are very well connected to the Federal highway system already and would barely benefit from I-14. If this interstate costs $1 million/lane/mile (which is actually low-balling it significantly) and is roughly 1000 miles long, then taxpayers are paying $4 billion to shave off, at the very most, an hour of transport time between military bases. That kind of money is far more wisely spent elsewhere.
What about all those decrying crumbling infrastructure? Would've thought shiny new roads were right along those lines... The opposition isn't because this particular route links military bases, is it? That was the primary purpose of the autobahn in Germany, and the original inspiration for the U.S. Interstate Highway system after all. In addition to linking Forts Bliss, Hood, Polk, Benning, and Gordon, it will also include Camp Beauregard in LA and Robins AFB in GA, as well as providing a generally East-West Interstate highway where none currently exists. All that, and it's even named after the 14TH Amendment (due process, and equal protection clauses).

Old 12-17-2015, 03:04 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
What about all those decrying crumbling infrastructure?
Building a new interstate doesn't fix crumbling infrastructure, it adds to the already overextended burden. I think the 'crumbling infrastructure' card is overstated anyways. What crumbles in the private sector? Stuff that nobody wants to pay for because not enough people use it. It's not that different in the public sector.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:53 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Why is it that cities always get toll roads but country people get freeways?
I feel like cities are getting screvved over

Old 12-17-2015, 05:02 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
What about all those decrying crumbling infrastructure? Would've thought shiny new roads were right along those lines... The opposition isn't because this particular route links military bases, is it? That was the primary purpose of the autobahn in Germany, and the original inspiration for the U.S. Interstate Highway system after all. In addition to linking Forts Bliss, Hood, Polk, Benning, and Gordon, it will also include Camp Beauregard in LA and Robins AFB in GA, as well as providing a generally East-West Interstate highway where none currently exists. All that, and it's even named after the 14TH Amendment (due process, and equal protection clauses).
I-20 and I-10 already serve the south very well, and I-14 would shave only minutes off a cross-country drive for military equipment. $4 billion+ could solve a lot of actual transportation problems where people actually live.

Last edited by Westerner92; 12-17-2015 at 05:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas