U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 01:21 AM

6 posts, read 14,867 times

Advertisements

Hi , I have a some friends that are moving to Del Rio Texas and I was just curious about what it's like in the Rio Grande river area? I have read quite a bit about the town itself but If anyone has any info just about the river neighborhood that would be great thanks .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 05:09 AM

10,953 posts, read 23,715,605 times
Do a search here. There have been many threads discussing Del Rio.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "river neighborhood." No one is allowed to live right on the river banks. There are only a few homes close to the river since it is heavily patrolled by the Border Patrol/Customs.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Do a search here. There have been many threads discussing Del Rio.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "river neighborhood." No one is allowed to live right on the river banks. There are only a few homes close to the river since it is heavily patrolled by the Border Patrol/Customs.

Thanks Christie P , and I did search and read about Del Rio the town itself and there were a lot of negative comments with a few positive ones here and there , but I didn't see any comments about how living is on the actual Rio Grande river area I think Vega Verde st is the name . Just wondering if it's a nice area , What the neighbors are like and if there are any problems that kind of thing .

Old 12-22-2015, 06:41 PM

I will go look when we are down there later this week. If it's the neighborhood I'm thinking about, it's not that great.

My husband (raised in Del Rio) said its well known for having a petty crime problem since it's so close to the river; the Mexicans would come across, steal stuff, then go back across to Mexico. He said the riverbank in that area has a lot of bamboo in it, which makes great nesting places for water moccasins/Cottonmouth snakes. The land there is also very rocky, so there's no vegetation or trees, and it's pretty useless for livestock grazing. The biggest problem, in his opinion, is the lack of access to Del Rio. Even though it's close as the crow flies, the actual drive into town takes 20-30 minutes since there isn't a direct road route.

Last edited by ChristieP; 12-22-2015 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-23-2015, 10:11 AM

4,131 posts, read 4,645,660 times
Stay on the north side of town. The parts closest to the river resemble mexico more than the US. (lots of rundown shacks, trash, wild dogs, etc)

Old 12-24-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
Stay on the north side of town. The parts closest to the river resemble mexico more than the US. (lots of rundown shacks, trash, wild dogs, etc)

what I have seen in photos it has a lot of run down homes , some with trash in front yards but I just thought it was because of the flood back in 2010 and maybe they have been cleaned up by now.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
I will go look when we are down there later this week. If it's the neighborhood I'm thinking about, it's not that great.

My husband (raised in Del Rio) said its well known for having a petty crime problem since it's so close to the river; the Mexicans would come across, steal stuff, then go back across to Mexico. He said the riverbank in that area has a lot of bamboo in it, which makes great nesting places for water moccasins/Cottonmouth snakes. The land there is also very rocky, so there's no vegetation or trees, and it's pretty useless for livestock grazing. The biggest problem, in his opinion, is the lack of access to Del Rio. Even though it's close as the crow flies, the actual drive into town takes 20-30 minutes since there isn't a direct road route.
Thanks for the info Christie P , That's crazy about the snakes ! I also heard there are lots of bugs, and possibly some gators?

Old 12-24-2015, 04:19 PM

Rio Grande north of the Valley is not native habitat for gators. Husband says he's never seen one there.

Husband also says if you're looking for property that's close to water, look out near Lake Amistad. There are lots of nice homes out there and you don't have the crime issues.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:53 AM

13,597 posts, read 9,797,677 times
Quote:

I don't think there are water moccasins/cottonmouths in that area although there are other types of watersnakes.

http://southwesternherp.com/articles...checklist.html

I've become rather fascinated by the habitat of this snake. Del Rio, much like where I live in Oklahoma is just outside the range of this snake, but the locals swear up and down that there are. I bet Del Rio is much the same.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:40 PM

We looked at the nearby areas while we were down in Del Rio, but we didn't get all the way out to Vega Verde. It's a LONG way from town! The houses in between it and 90 are very mixed. Some are nice, and others are shacks. All of them have rocky land with lots of native cactus and desert plants, and no trees at all!

The paved roads vary in quality. The ones that are near the electric lines are fine, but the side streets are often so potholed that they barely qualify as "paved." I will say that Cienegas Rd (which becomes Vega Verde) is in really bad shape, which is why we didn't go all the way out.

My sister in law pointed out that Vega Verde is maintained by Val Verde County. It is not within the Del Rio city limits. So, you will only have the Sheriff for law enforcement, and volunteer firefighters for fire/EMS. She also said that theft is very rampant out there, and she wouldn't recommend living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: