U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Whats your affiliation
Democrat 18 25.71%
Republican 19 27.14%
Anti-DEmocrat 3 4.29%
Anti-republican 4 5.71%
Independant 22 31.43%
Other 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:42 AM

8,555 posts, read 11,802,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I remember that election, and Ann Richards to into office because her opponent, Clayton Williams, snatched defeat from the jaws of victory! LOL

He was extremely uninformed on the issues when it came to a head to head debate (when asked, he didn't know what "Proposition One" was) and made some really politically embarrasing statements that caused his one time far lead to plumet to nothing. It is revealing though, that Ann Richards lost in the next election to a Republican opponent who, at the time, espoused a very conservative line. George Bush! LOL

There IS something to be said though so far as Texas, if hispanic migration (legal and illegal) continues at the rate it has, becoming a swing state, IF the said demographic group continues to lean toward the democratic party. Otherwise, Texas will remain part of the Solid South (once democratic and now republican). That is to say, a red state...if by red one means conservative. .
Red denotes Republican to me, and not always conservative.

And Claytie REALLY did screw up big time with his big mouth, too. When I heard what he had said out at a hunting camp in mixed company, I sort of figured he'd had it at that point, LOL!! He is SO typical in that regard, and he is NOT a politician!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Now, I REALLY admired Ann Richards... what a truely gritty Texas lady! She knew how to work that good 'ole boy Texas political network!

And, some of her quotes will always be my favorites, like the one she said in the keynote address to the Democratic National Convention in 1988 by suggesting that George Bush was 'born with a silver foot in his mouth.' LoL! How well has that held true?!

This one, however, remains my all-time favorite, "These things I do despise... hypocrisy, lies and anything at all that denies the light in children's eyes."

Pretty much says it all... truely, a lady before her time!
She did have to fight some really hard battles to get where she did.....you couldn't help liking her....and I would have liked to have had lunch with her.

BUT....her politics were SO liberal that I couldn't ever have voted for her. I held my nose and voted for Claytie, even with all the gaffes and lack of attention to the issues.

I think that if he had won, he would have learned very fast. Claytie may have a mouth on him, but he's no dummy.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:30 AM

397 posts, read 615,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
She did have to fight some really hard battles to get where she did.....you couldn't help liking her....and I would have liked to have had lunch with her.

BUT....her politics were SO liberal that I couldn't ever have voted for her. I held my nose and voted for Claytie, even with all the gaffes and lack of attention to the issues.

I think that if he had won, he would have learned very fast. Claytie may have a mouth on him, but he's no dummy.
Cathy:

I am curious (seriously not being sarcastic) as to what was SO liberal about Richards. Now, I will confess, not being Texan, I didn't know very much about her and had to Google. Nothing I found indicated anything extreme - she seemed pretty moderate. Care to share?

Old 02-09-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Cathy:

I am curious (seriously not being sarcastic) as to what was SO liberal about Richards. Now, I will confess, not being Texan, I didn't know very much about her and had to Google. Nothing I found indicated anything extreme - she seemed pretty moderate. Care to share?
Dang. You're making me have to think....LOL!!! That was almost 20 years ago!

She did some good during her term, I'll not deny that--the requirement for insurance (for tags, licences, etc.) for Texas drivers, for one.

Her anti-gun stance and her educational reforms (the much-hated and grossly unfair Robin Hood school funding issue, which STILL isn't resolved beyond being found unconstitutional) are mostly what I remember. Her "site-based management" looked good on paper (and didn't come about until long after I had left the profession)...but it translated to more after-school time in idiotic, meaningless committee meetings at which very little of any value was accomplished, according to relatives and friends who were still there.

To many of us that grew up in very conservative West Texas, she was anathema to us as far as her politics went, and I cannot even remember now what else I didn't like...I just remember thinking at the time that she was an ultra-liberal who backed ultra-liberal causes.

Since you were raised in Europe (correct me if I'm wrong)...and are now in CA, I think she would appear moderate to you, while she would not to me.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 02-09-2008 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Status: "Semi-retired. working some, taking off some." (set 16 hours ago)

9,801 posts, read 10,964,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Red denotes Republican to me, and not always conservative.

And Claytie REALLY did screw up big time with his big mouth, too. When I heard what he had said out at a hunting camp in mixed company, I sort of figured he'd had it at that point, LOL!! He is SO typical in that regard, and he is NOT a politician!
True. And again, Republican does not always = conservative. In fact, I would be hard pressed to name a political figure extant who is truly conservative by my own definition...

LOL Yeah, that remark about "being serviced". Oh gawd! But yep too, a man doesn't make a 100 million dollars being an idiot. And he DID have some GREAT ideas. And further, it is probably to his credit he wasn't a good politician!

Off on a tangent? Y'all take this test, if you are interested, to gauge your political ideology. And be SURE to use the "sliding scale" below each question to indicate how high a priority you put on the said question. It has a lot to do with the scoring!

I am a Paleo-Conservative according to the quiz. I agree!

▷▷ Ideology Selector (it's a SelectSmart.com Politics selector. Keywords: Politics selectors recommend match quizzes tests)

Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 PM

3,975 posts, read 6,813,073 times
Quote:
True. And again, Republican does not always = conservative. In fact, I would be hard pressed to name a political figure extant who is truly conservative by my own definition...

LOL Yeah, that remark about "being serviced". Oh gawd! But yep too, a man doesn't make a 100 million dollars being an idiot. And he DID have some GREAT ideas. And further, it is probably to his credit he wasn't a good politician!

Off on a tangent? Y'all take this test, if you are interested, to gauge your political ideology. And be SURE to use the "sliding scale" below each question to indicate how high a priority you put on the said question. It has a lot to do with the scoring!

▷▷ Ideology Selector (it's a SelectSmart.com Politics selector. Keywords: Politics selectors recommend match quizzes tests)
Im a Thirdway
then a radical
then a liberal

Old 02-09-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Yep....I got the same thing.
I was conservative even in HIGH school.....LOL!! I tried being a liberal for about 20 minutes once, and decided that it was not me....

Old 02-09-2008, 05:16 PM

397 posts, read 615,504 times
Quote:

Are you surprised?

1. Liberal
2. Third Way
3. Radical

I had to look up their definition of "radical." I have never considered myself a radical (although you might disagree LOL).

Old 02-09-2008, 05:50 PM

3,975 posts, read 6,813,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Are you surprised?

1. Liberal
2. Third Way
3. Radical

I had to look up their definition of "radical." I have never considered myself a radical (although you might disagree LOL).
any idea what a third way is?

Old 02-09-2008, 07:13 PM

6,866 posts, read 12,628,723 times
Here's me, no surprise:

#1 Paleoconservative

#2 Neoconservative

#3 Conservative

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas