U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Whats your affiliation
Democrat 18 25.71%
Republican 19 27.14%
Anti-DEmocrat 3 4.29%
Anti-republican 4 5.71%
Independant 22 31.43%
Other 4 5.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2008, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Tampa
3,975 posts, read 6,810,585 times
Reputation: 1110
Default Texas Politics

Think Texas will always be red?

Where do you stand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
397 posts, read 615,295 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Think Texas will always be red?

Where do you stand?
Well, the Texans here can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Texas always used to be a staunchly Democratic state, due to historical events. However, since the Democratic party became more socially progressive, started advocating for minorities' rights etc., Texans turned to the Republican party.

Apart from pockets in the cities, I don't see Texas turning blue soon. This election year, they claim that TX may for the first time be somewhat influential in the primaries, due to the close calls, especially in the Democratic race. However, I don't think anyone is under any illusion as to how electoral votes will be disposed of in November. Living in a swing state, I think it makes the politics more interesting than a definitive red or blue state.

Incidentally, I am personally curious as to who would get the Republican votes in TX? Would it be the military's hero, John McCain or god's personal representative, Huckabee? Surely, in TX, religion always trumps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Tampa
3,975 posts, read 6,810,585 times
Reputation: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Well, the Texans here can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Texas always used to be a staunchly Democratic state, due to historical events. However, since the Democratic party became more socially progressive, started advocating for minorities' rights etc., Texans turned to the Republican party.

Apart from pockets in the cities, I don't see Texas turning blue soon. This election year, they claim that TX may for the first time be somewhat influential in the primaries, due to the close calls, especially in the Democratic race. However, I don't think anyone is under any illusion as to how electoral votes will be disposed of in November. Living in a swing state, I think it makes the politics more interesting than a definitive red or blue state.

Incidentally, I am personally curious as to who would get the Republican votes in TX? Would it be the military's hero, John McCain or god's personal representative, Huckabee? Surely, in TX, religion always trumps!

that makes the state sound really bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 09:45 AM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
397 posts, read 615,295 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
that makes the state sound really bad...
Well, in all fairness, you should quote the entire sentence. While there are those who do not support minorities' rights, many turned Republican because of the Democratic stance on many social issues, e.g. abortion, gay marriage etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Hutto, Tx
8,629 posts, read 15,997,252 times
Reputation: 2318
I don't like any of them right now except Romney and my other favorites all dropped out. McCain is really a Democrat and I'm not sure I really like his attitude lately. I put myself as Republican for the poll, but I probably should have really put Independant. The Democratic Party has changed. It's gone further left than it started out being. JFK wouldn't resemble many Democrats nowadays, or so I've read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 02:04 PM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
8,542 posts, read 11,795,227 times
Reputation: 4137
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I don't like any of them right now except Romney and my other favorites all dropped out. McCain is really a Democrat and I'm not sure I really like his attitude lately. I put myself as Republican for the poll, but I probably should have really put Independant. The Democratic Party has changed. It's gone further left than it started out being. JFK wouldn't resemble many Democrats nowadays, or so I've read.
I am sick at my stomach after yesterday. Really, really sick.

They are going to be all over Texas now like white on rice, as it is the only state left with a substantial number of delegates (winner-take-all for Republicans)/electoral votes.

McCain is a RINO (Republican in name only), and with all that is out there about him, I am surprised that anybody can vote for him. With the number of delegates he has at this point, it would really, really surprise me if Romney could even have a prayer of catching up.

They are comparing Obama to JFK, and I have to laugh every time I hear that. He uses his "hope" speech constantly because (IMNSHO) there is not really anything of substance about him.

I can't vote for any of the three (McCain/Clinton/Obama).....so I don't know what I am going to do come election day.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 02-06-2008 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 04:17 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
397 posts, read 615,295 times
Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I am sick at my stomach after yesterday. Really, really sick.

They are going to be all over Texas now like white on rice, as it is the only state left with a substantial number of delegates (winner-take-all for Republicans)/electoral votes.

McCain is a RINO (Republican in name only), and with all that is out there about him, I am surprised that anybody can vote for him. With the number of delegates he has at this point, it would really, really surprise me if Romney could even have a prayer of catching up.

They are comparing Obama to JFK, and I have to laugh every time I hear that. He uses his "hope" speech constantly because (IMNSHO) there is not really anything of substance about him.

I can't vote for any of the three (McCain/Clinton/Obama).....so I don't know what I am going to do come election day.
Sheesh...I am surprised you guys are not more excited about being able to have a say in the primaries for the first time in a while!

In any event, I think the field of candidates represent the true movement in this country towards a more progressive system. Us Democrats are very excited about Hillary and Obama, as it is quite a good field to choose from. Personally, I would prefer Obama as president in 10 years - right now, I think Hillary has more maturity and experience. It is even exciting to see that many Republicans are choosing to embrace a more progressive candidate such as McCain. This is indicative of the overall movement from a morally bankrupt conservative/pseudo-theocracy to a more progressive and inclusive government.

Whichever side of the political spectrum you are on, you as Texans get to have a part of it this time, and you should participate actively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Trans-Pecos Texas
8,542 posts, read 11,795,227 times
Reputation: 4137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Sheesh...I am surprised you guys are not more excited about being able to have a say in the primaries for the first time in a while......

Whichever side of the political spectrum you are on, you as Texans get to have a part of it this time, and you should participate actively.
I am a recent native Texan transplant to New Mexico, and if I choose to vote, it will have to be here. The Republican primary here is not until June.

It will indeed be very, very interesting to see how Texas votes this round.

And....for what it is worth, I haven't been happy with any of them on either side since 1988.........and I have voted in every presidential election since I was old enough to vote.

Even if I had to hold my nose at times....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 05:23 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
251 posts, read 463,152 times
Reputation: 71
Texas is only a red state because most Democrats are low income and unable to vote in mass numbers (transportation issues, choice of either vote or lose a day's pay, etc) unlike the more wealthy middle and upper income Republicans. That's why Richards lost to Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Lewisville
212 posts, read 816,577 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
Texas is only a red state because most Democrats are low income and unable to vote in mass numbers (transportation issues, choice of either vote or lose a day's pay, etc) unlike the more wealthy middle and upper income Republicans. That's why Richards lost to Bush.
But with early voting, you can vote when and where it's convenient to you. It's only on the real voting day where you must vote at your specific polling place. There is really no excuse not to vote other than apathy and ignorance.
I think the tendency to vote is probrably more of a reflection of education (and educational aspirations) than income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top