Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:51 AM

6 posts, read 18,482 times

Advertisements

I have been reading many threads on this topic that were posted on this board and I can't figure out why so many people believe that University of Houston is ranked higher than University of Texas at Dallas which it is not. I live in Houston and like many people from Houston, I did not realize that UTD even existed before applying there. After researching quite a bit I found out that UTD has a much stronger Engineering program than UH but I can't figure out why this is not popular information. UH offer more Engineering disciplines which equals out its ranking when compared to UTD but when compared on a program to program basis, UTD is better in every Engineering discipline that both schools offer.

I was just wondering if anyone can provide me with any information that supports the claim that UH is better than UTD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 11:24 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbonly View Post
I have been reading many threads on this topic that were posted on this board and I can't figure out why so many people believe that University of Houston is ranked higher than University of Texas at Dallas which it is not. I live in Houston and like many people from Houston, I did not realize that UTD even existed before applying there. After researching quite a bit I found out that UTD has a much stronger Engineering program than UH but I can't figure out why this is not popular information. UH offer more Engineering disciplines which equals out its ranking when compared to UTD but when compared on a program to program basis, UTD is better in every Engineering discipline that both schools offer.

I was just wondering if anyone can provide me with any information that supports the claim that UH is better than UTD?
Probably because UofH is bigger and in Houston thats all that matters...and UofH is probably more popular than UTD because of Sports.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:18 PM

519 posts, read 776,682 times
I'll be honest... even having been born and raised in Texas, I'd never heard of UTD until I started seriously researching Dallas in preparation for a move. When I looked into Dallas' education system I realized I didn't even know if there were any universities up there. The University of Houston was well known to me though.

UTD should really do a better job of marketing itself.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
I'll be honest... even having been born and raised in Texas, I'd never heard of UTD until I started seriously researching Dallas in preparation for a move. When I looked into Dallas' education system I realized I didn't even know if there were any universities up there. The University of Houston was well known to me though.

UTD should really do a better job of marketing itself.
It catches the right students attention.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Yeah I went to UH and never heard of UTD until years later. But after researching graduate programs, I always read that UTD admissions was closer to the strictness of UT-Austin admissions when compared to other Texas Universities. In other words - tighter admissions than UH.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:39 PM

519 posts, read 776,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
It catches the right students attention.
No doubt, but unless UTD is determined stay under a particular enrollment size, I doubt additional student revenue would be unwelcome.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
No doubt, but unless UTD is determined stay under a particular enrollment size, I doubt additional student revenue would be unwelcome.
What I meant was It markets itself to target student groups who have serious intrest inthe specific programs it offers...It does not market itself to the masses as "THE college experience" like other popular schools. UtD is for students ready to work and succeed and nothing extra that could jeopordize that. Its not wanting the rep for the best fun having party school. People at UTD are really serious about their education.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:16 PM

998 posts, read 1,324,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
What I meant was It markets itself to target student groups who have serious intrest inthe specific programs it offers...It does not market itself to the masses as "THE college experience" like other popular schools. UtD is for students ready to work and succeed and nothing extra that could jeopordize that. Its not wanting the rep for the best fun having party school. People at UTD are really serious about their education.
It has more to do with the amount of research dollars the graduate programs bring in than anything. UTD isn't much of a campus. It reminds me of UHCL. At the end of the day, college is about more than the classroom/lab and UTD is lackluster in that regard. UTD's grads don't have anymore of an advantage in securing a career than UH. The name recognition isn't there with UTD. I know folks from the metroplex who have no idea that UTD exists.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:25 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
UTD is a relatively new school. Grown out of a partnership between Richardson and TI. And for a long time it was a commuter school that catered to working adults looking to finish their degrees.

It's only been in about the last 15 years that they've even had on campus housing so they really didn't attract attention from HS seniors from outside the area.

As far as the campus, they are definitely in growth mode. they have a plan in place to build 18 additional buildings by 2018. Including several new student housing buildings.

And people in the metroplex in the fields that UTD is known for, know UTD. TI, Nortel, Siemens, Lennox, Rockwell Collins, etc are all closely connected with UTD.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
UTD is a relatively new school. Grown out of a partnership between Richardson and TI. And for a long time it was a commuter school that catered to working adults looking to finish their degrees.

It's only been in about the last 15 years that they've even had on campus housing so they really didn't attract attention from HS seniors from outside the area.

As far as the campus, they are definitely in growth mode. they have a plan in place to build 18 additional buildings by 2018. Including several new student housing buildings.

And people in the metroplex in the fields that UTD is known for, know UTD. TI, Nortel, Siemens, Lennox, Rockwell Collins, etc are all closely connected with UTD.
My point exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas