U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 03:14 PM

199 posts, read 415,792 times
Default Texas vs Georgia

what are some pros and cons of both states. And where would a bilingual person (spanish and english) would find better job opporunites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2006, 07:14 PM

1,183 posts, read 4,217,397 times
Are you seriously asking this question?

Old 11-19-2006, 07:31 PM

11,882 posts, read 24,262,125 times
I guess what Mr. Football is astonished about is that you would try and judge whether Texas or Georgia is better for someone that speaks both Spanish and English. Am I right Mr. Football? Texas for sure. Tons of opportunities for Spanish/English speaking people here, especially if you're a teacher.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:17 PM

1,560 posts, read 4,874,847 times
Oh there are plenty of Spanish speaking people in Georgia. Check almost any Wal-mart between 10pm and 2am Friday or Saturday and you'll find many doing their shopping.

(At least that was my experience in the late 90's in Rome, Calhoun, Cartersville, and Savannah.)

Old 11-22-2006, 08:06 AM

8,456 posts, read 16,797,173 times
I spent a bit of time in Albany, GA (which I assume counts off any time due in purgatory). I know this is not exactly Atlanta, but if you are thinking about rural GA, it may apply - everyone I met who lived there thought that mexican immigrants (legal or otherwise) were the root of all problems in the US. Speaking Spanish may be useful, but the whole attitude was that if you live or work in the US, you should speak English or leave.

Old 11-23-2006, 09:51 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,485,408 times
Cool Dual response in favor of a singular language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Speaking Spanish may be useful, but the whole attitude was that if you live or work in the US, you should speak English or leave.

Now, this is not bad idea.......I'd hate to see the same problems that has occurred in Canada.......learning the accepted language of any host country or one's country of choice is WISE!

To the original poster.........On the Texas forums folks are always gonna pick Texas. Also the closer to the Rio Grande the more useful is your bi-lingual skills! On the border.......I'd guess that 40%-50% have no English skills........just a guess!

Old 12-14-2006, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 9,371 times
Default TX or GA

I came from San Antonio, TX (heavy Hispanic population) to Marietta, GA almost 5 months ago and I do not like Georgia. I wish I could go back to TX and my family and I are working on it. The people in TX are friendlier. I have come across some very rude people while shopping in GA. In TX if you make eye contact almost everyone smiles but not in GA. People talk about Atlanta like it is soooo metropolitan but it really is not that big of a city and is not in anyway shape or form more progressive than any other city. Some priorities in GA are messed up. Child molesters and other felons get slaps on wrists unlike in TX (3 strikes your out rule). However, I must say, Marietta is a pretty safe city, safer than San Antonio (San Antonio is MUCH larger though and can actually be considered a city). I have no idea how safe Atlanta is. I see very few Hispanics in GA (perhaps there are more in Woodstock or Smyrna) compared to TX and so in my experience there are a TON more job opportunities for a Spanish speaker in TX. In fact, in my job search experience in San Antonio it is often a requirement (usually more pay too). Driving in GA is horrible. People cut you off all the time and think nothing of it. I am actually scared to drive in GA for fear of someone hitting me. Now in TX (San Antonio) think twice about cutting someone off because they will pull a George Bush so fast and hunt you down. There are instances of people following and shooting them on the highways for cutting them off. But with regard to driving not road rage, TX is much safer. No turn arounds on GA highways so if you take wrong exit you could be lost for a while. In TX if you take wrong exit you take turn around-much, much easier. Many, many more trees in GA and that is nice. TX is flat. Housing is more expensive in GA (and in many cases, cheaper material like more siding is used)and the cost of living is higher (movies in San Antonio $6.50 in Marietta $9.00). There are basements in GA and that is cool. On the news in GA I hear a lot about con artists- people dressed up like service technicians going door to door pulling scams (not as much in TX). Seen less road kill in GA than in TX. GA is more small farm, TX is more big ranch. Haven't really seen the whole Southern Hospitality thing in GA and have come across many judgemental people. In GA post office doesn't open till 9 am. People walk, talk, and in general move slower in GA. GA school system is not as good as the system in TX. But, they do have the HOPE scholarship which gives the possibility for free college tuition. That is a good thing. I am sure there are many nice things about GA but I just haven't encountered a whole lot of them yet. However, I meet lots of people from TX here. I have not found one that likes it yet. Hope this helps.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:52 AM

1,560 posts, read 4,874,847 times
Atlanta is more "cosmopolitan" than the rest of Georgia. And by that, I mean, there are a large number of residents that "aren't from around here". So I can see how KatP's experiences would be atypical from the majority of Georgia.

Historically Georgia's education system has been lacking. The Hope scholarship is one attempt to improve the educational experience. My mother has been teaching Freshman English in the Georgia college system for the past 16 years. Mostly at schools in the middle of the state, Columbus College, Macon College, Georgia Southern University and Armstrong Atlantic State University. Her experience is that students in Georgia are less well prepared than students in South Carolina. (Winthrop Univ, Francis Marion Univ, and USC.)

Georgia can be divided into three main categories, Atlanta, the cities, and the country.

Atlanta is metropolitan with all the good and bad that is typically offered in a major city.

The cities (my reference only), but referring to Rome, Dalton, Athens, Augusta, Savannah, Macon and Columbus offer a more relaxed lifestyle than the hurry-hurry life of Atlanta. (Unless of course it's a football Saturday and Georgia's playing between the hedges, in which case Athens will more resemble the top-end of 285 during rush hour.) Shopping is available, but is usually limited to the strip mall type stores. There are no Neiman Marcus' or Cartier, but you will find malls with Belk, Dillard's, Penney's, etc.

The country (again my reference only) is comprised on many small towns and crossroads. Most everyone knows everyone else, their relative, their business, etc. Folks are friendly, but are often a bit wary of strangers, especially those that talk funny. (Perhaps, too many bad experiences from "city-folk" in Atlanta.) Shopping will be limited to the basics. Grocery, Walmart, dollar stores and a local hardware store will be about the extent of your shopping options. Some areas will have access to outlet malls, offering name brand clothing without the trip to the Big 'A'.

Much of this assessment matches fairly well with what I've seen throughout the South. The only differences with the Carolina's, Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee are the city names. My experiences with Texas (limited to the DFW and Waco area) are also similar.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:17 AM

3,494 posts, read 9,212,757 times
i was misplaced in Georgia for 3 years and just got back to Texas, thank GOD. Georgia was HELL. i hated it. RUDE RUDE RUDE. and the worst part was the racism towards white folks

Old 12-15-2006, 10:55 PM

122 posts, read 257,754 times
Quote:
learning the accepted language of any host country or one's country of choice is WISE!
That IS a good idea! Which language(s) should we learn? Navajo, Cherokee, or what? I'm afraid I still don't know any of the languages of my host country. Not many people here in America do. All I know is English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas