Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2016, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 3,169 times

Advertisements

I currently applied for a job in san antonio and I live in tomball tx, lived in cypress for years. I have lived in houston, or the surrounding areas all my life. I have a wife and 2 kids, and one on the way. we are a young couple 23 and 21. We are wanting a good place to raise our kids. And I don't know anything about SA a lot of what I have seen on here talks about single people moving. I want the best for my kids. Traffic sucks big time in houston, prices of housing has sky rocketed. Cost of living is expensive. What is SA compared to houston. Houston is my hometown and I love it. But with how big and fast paced it is, I'm looking for a place very much more family oriented. What are the pros and cons of going to SA. I know there's a lot of tourist and tourist attractions there. But other then that how are the school, neighborhoods, kid places. Just all around family. And date nights for me and the wife. My budget on a house would be around 200k but going to rent first. Any advice please, and thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 944 times
Hi Rh3misfit!

I've been in SA my entire life so I know a little bit about it . Congratulations on the baby!! How exciting! I can't say I have that many cons about SA but there are plenty of PROS for sure! There's plenty to do, shopping, movies nearby, Sea World, Fiesta Texas & Top golf to name a few. Very family oriented & super fun place to live! Most of the schools here are excellent & you can definitely get a great home for around $200K. It's a great place to be with plenty to do & nice people

Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,368 times
My wife and I just moved to SA from Houston and love it. Well, we did go to school here but very happy to be out of Houston and back in SA

You're right, traffic is terrible there. To me, the people are much nicer in SA and not in such a hurry with the live to work mentality,

With that said, there's lots of great areas of the city. Almost all areas have what you're looking for. Depends how more specific you want in terms of cost of homes, scenery, culture, tourist attractions, etc.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:08 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times
I would marry and move to SA honestly. Thats a place where you can raise a family at.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:13 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
I just know how much less traffic headache there is in San Antonio compared to Austin. It's almost like night and day.

You mention tomball, cypress... what I recall areas of Houston with tall big trees. You won't find comparable in San Antonio in that sense. Though if you go in their forum to ask, you'll find areas with a similar family feel.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:00 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
San Antonio traffic is actually getting pretty bad, from what I've experienced recently. Things are definitely congested there.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:13 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,969,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I just know how much less traffic headache there is in San Antonio compared to Austin. It's almost like night and day.

You mention tomball, cypress... what I recall areas of Houston with tall big trees. You won't find comparable in San Antonio in that sense. Though if you go in their forum to ask, you'll find areas with a similar family feel.
You get nice rolling hills instead. There are large cypress trees along the San Antonio River.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:08 PM

12 posts, read 9,690 times
I currently live in SA and will be moving to Houston in the summer.

I absolutely LOVE San Antonio and I'm so nervous of not finding a comparable area in Houston.

We live in the Far North Area, North area of Stone Oak. NEISD, IMHO, are the best schools of the area but I think it all depends where you'll be working.

My neighbor works at Lackland AFB near Sea World and it easily takes them an hour from work-home with all the afternoon traffic. Not that bad in the morning because he leaves early!. My husband travels every week and I work from home so traffic doesn't bug us too much here in SAT.

I spent these past few days in Houston, checking out some areas and oh boy!, traffic is a different story!. Hubby is already working in Houston (IAH Airport) and although I like Sugarland / Katy areas, the commute time for hubby would be crazy!. I think we've narrowed down to Humble, Atascocita, Kingswood and The Woodlands. I personally liked The Groves and a new community in Kingswood but we'll see!

Feel free to ask any questions about SAT. I'd love to help!

Maria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas