Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has character and awsome scenery
Longview 10 24.39%
Nacogdoches 15 36.59%
Lufkin 3 7.32%
Neither 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 04:46 AM

7,726 posts, read 6,390,232 times

Advertisements

Only been to Longview out of those but I love all those pine trees. Going to pass by it again next month of my drive down to Miami. It's so different from the rest of Texas over there.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:31 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
I can't help that Tyler is not seen on I-20 from Dallas to Sherevport only east Texans know about Tyler but when people go to Houston heading to Shreveport they notice Nacogdoches and Lufkin area better believe lol.Tyler is a retirement town coming from J'ville the only time you see Tyler is when you approach the city limit and that is sad but suppose to big this big major place lmao.Nac and Lufkin has the potential to pass Tyler up in population in the next decades.IT's not like the cities are 100,000 people apart lmao really and Nac is just the most beautiful city not town in east Texas.Tyler is a slow pace RETIREMENT town with a little shopping thats it but ok I get but not for me.
Retirees don't have school aged kids, but Tyler has added tons of new schools or remodeled existing schools to add more new space over the past five years or so.

This is just an article addressing the public schools:

New schools coming soon for Tyler ISD - KYTX CBS19.tv - News, Weather, & Sports | Tyler-Longview

And there are at least 16 private schools in Tyler, many of which have been opened in the past five to ten years. Most of them are growing in leaps and bounds as well.

There are three major hospital centers in Tyler and other smaller hospitals as well.

Tyler isn't a college or party town - and doesn't pretend to be. It's a city geared toward healthy, vibrant family life.

Tyler's growth rate is 18.79 percent. Longview's is 12 percent. Nac's is 12 percent. Lufkin's is 9 percent.
Texas Population Growth Rate City Rank

Old 03-20-2016, 03:13 PM

4,367 posts, read 4,574,537 times
Quote:
I can't help that Tyler is not seen on I-20 from Dallas to Sherevport only east Texans know about Tyler but when people go to Houston heading to Shreveport they notice Nacogdoches and Lufkin area better believe lol.Tyler is a retirement town coming from J'ville the only time you see Tyler is when you approach the city limit and that is sad but suppose to big this big major place lmao.Nac and Lufkin has the potential to pass Tyler up in population in the next decades.IT's not like the cities are 100,000 people apart lmao really and Nac is just the most beautiful city not town in east Texas.Tyler is a slow pace RETIREMENT town with a little shopping thats it but ok I get but not for me.
Stop it, LMAO. The comedy is too much for me. At the rate Nac's been growing in comparison to Tyler you won't become bigger then Tyler in a longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg time. Since 1970 Nac has only gained about 11,143 new residents. Tyler in that time span has gained 43,651 new residents. That's more then the population of Nac. Even Longview gained 36,046 in that time frame which is still a little more then the population of Nac as of today. So tell me how can Nac have any potential of passing up Tyler in population when it hasn't showed any signs of even remotely having a significant surge of new residents to the town? Unless you expect Tyler to get sunk into the earth due to some large scale natural disaster. A town where they're biggest employer is Pilgrim's Pride does not scream out population boom. What are they putting in those chickens to have your mind bugged and obsessed like this? LMAO

Old 03-20-2016, 06:07 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,897,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Stop it, LMAO. The comedy is too much for me. At the rate Nac's been growing in comparison to Tyler you won't become bigger then Tyler in a longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg time. Since 1970 Nac has only gained about 11,143 new residents. Tyler in that time span has gained 43,651 new residents. That's more then the population of Nac. Even Longview gained 36,046 in that time frame which is still a little more then the population of Nac as of today. So tell me how can Nac have any potential of passing up Tyler in population when it hasn't showed any signs of even remotely having a significant surge of new residents to the town? Unless you expect Tyler to get sunk into the earth due to some large scale natural disaster. A town where they're biggest employer is Pilgrim's Pride does not scream out population boom. What are they putting in those chickens to have your mind bugged and obsessed like this? LMAO
You just worry if Philly take Houston 4th ranking spot lol.

You and anybody that haven't been in this area are telling alot of lies because the boom is happening pretty fast adding new jobs by adding all top retail and commercial business.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:20 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,540,122 times
Quote:

You and anybody that haven't been in this area are telling alot of lies because the boom is happening pretty fast adding new jobs by adding all top retail and commercial business.
What are you talking about? Phoenix is about to pass Philadelphia in population.. if it hasn't already. Philly isn't even close to Houston.

No, we aren't telling a bunch of lies.. I like how you ignored Kathryns post which had substantiated facts.

By "all top retail and commercial business", do you mean Dunkin Donuts, Baskin Robbins, Chipotle, Denny's, and an HEB? I doubt those retail jobs will be attracting many newcomers to the area..

Old 03-20-2016, 07:51 PM

4,367 posts, read 4,574,537 times
Quote:

The new H-E-B and Sonic's is top retail and commercial business huh? I know people will flock in herds now that Nac has that updated clothes section in Belk located in the dying establishment known as University "Mall".

Old 03-20-2016, 09:34 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,897,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The new H-E-B and Sonic's is top retail and commercial business huh? I know people will flock in herds now that Nac has that updated clothes section in Belk located in the dying establishment known as University "Mall".
Nac will a beautiful southend entry way soon after highway construction and then the northend will start construction with amazing designs.Nac has alot to of we have a civic center,expo center and a convention center the city highest employer have about 2,400 employees and no it isn't SFA.Bryan/college station grew off a univ. and Austin so what? Nac has hill tons of hills with development Tyler don't and Nac has the largest Azeala trail in the state Tyler doesn't.Nac has hiking and biking trails running north to south by banita and lanana creek and Nac has just as many apartment complexes as Tyler if not more.Nac has more of a younger vibe Tyler doesn't.Nac has two flea markets Tyler doesn't lol the near thing to it is in Canton.
Nac has more pedestrians and bikers traveling the many many nice side walks the city offer. The main thing is you haven't seen anything yet.You said in one post Tyler has three colleges so in other words is that the only thing that bring people there lmao.
Oh yeah we set off the largest lake in TEXAS lake Sam Rayburn so yo point is and it is alot of extra things I left out but I will add this the thread from two years ago show you Nac more diverse then Tyler.

I don't care if Nac and Bryan or Austin are growing off univ. it is still growth.

When I come into Tyler at night from J'ville you don't see the lights of the town until you get pass the toll under pass lol but oh well thats Tyler for ya.......

Old 03-21-2016, 02:03 AM

Quote:
it is still growth.

When I come into Tyler at night from J'ville you don't see the lights of the town until you get pass the toll under pass lol but oh well thats Tyler for ya.......
Ill let someone more familiar with Tyler respond to the first part..

Yes, its still "growth", but as has been pointed out already, Tyler is growing faster..

The 49 tollroad around Tyler is 8 miles away from downtown, coming from Jacksonville.. the bypass around Nacogdoches is only 2 miles out. If you were to drive 8 miles down 59 from Nacogdoches, you would be almost halfway to Lufkin. Far from any city lights..
Btw, im not sure what being able to see city lights has to do with anything..? Tyler is 3 times the size of Nacogdoches, obviously with many more lights, so you're not going to "win" that battle.. Not to mention Tyler actually has a few decently tall high-rises that you would be able to see long before you could see any buildings in Nacogdoches (day or night).

Old 03-21-2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Nac has the largest Azeala trail in the state Tyler doesn't.

Nac has two flea markets Tyler doesn't lol the near thing to it is in Canton.
I went ahead and looked up the "largest Azalea trail in Texas" (because I've heard you mention this place a few times), so ill go ahead and respond to this.. turns out I actually have walked around through those trails years ago when I was dating a girl from SFA.. I had no idea it was supposed to be a special "Azalea garden", not to mention the "largest in Texas". To me it was just some trails we would walk around on a nice day when we were bored (that happened a lot around there)..? On the other hand, I have actually heard of the rose garden/museum/festival in Tyler (and I've never even been to that place).. Its actually the nations largest rose garden. Nac doesnt have that..

No offense, but most people dont find flea markets to be anything desirable/worth bragging about.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:38 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,440,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
I went ahead and looked up the "largest Azalea trail in Texas" (because I've heard you mention this place a few times), so ill go ahead and respond to this.. turns out I actually have walked around through those trails years ago when I was dating a girl from SFA.. I had no idea it was supposed to be a special "Azalea garden", not to mention the "largest in Texas". To me it was just some trails we would walk around on a nice day when we were bored (that happened a lot around there)..? On the other hand, I have actually heard of the rose garden/museum/festival in Tyler (and I've never even been to that place).. Its actually the nations largest rose garden. Nac doesnt have that..

No offense, but most people dont find flea markets to be anything desirable/worth bragging about.
And actually Tyler does have regular flea markets, for those inclined to groove on those. One is held at least once a month at the old fairgrounds and the other is out on Hwy 69 north just outside the loop. Of course, flea market afficionados can easily make the short, 30 minute drive each month to Canton. And we're glad that Canton is 30 minutes outside of Tyler because that's a hot mess every month!

As for the whole "city lights" thing and being able to "see them from a distance," I guess if you're into that sort of thing you might get a thrill out of seeing the "city lights" of Nacogdoches from a distance. Tylerites tend to love their neighborhoods - this isn't a "loft" city (though we do have some historical buildings that have been renovated to lofts) or one geared around city scapes - Tyler is famous for it's beautiful neighborhoods full of rolling hills, towering oak trees, azaleas, manicured lawns and charming homes from many different eras. Tyler has several historic neighborhoods and many brick streets flanked by architecturally interesting homes of every shape and size. Just about any time of year, driving through these neighborhoods, you will see photography buffs strolling around with cameras. This time of year, especially, with the Azalea Trail festival coming up.

As you mentioned, we have the largest rose garden in the nation, and it's full of trails, benches, etc. It's a favorite place for locals to take family photos - engagements, graduations, birthdays, etc. as well as a favorite place to tie the knot. Yep, Tyler is definitely family oriented.

We have Faulkner Park which is a combo of hiking and biking trails - I say hiking rather than walking because the trails have a lot of variety of elevation and there is a "difficult" trail as well as a more leisurely trail, as well as an "off road" biking trail built specifically for mountain bikes.

Then of course we have miles and miles of biking and hiking trails in Tyler State Park - very well maintained and beautiful.

We also have Rose Rudman park and the South Tyler Trails - miles and miles of meandering and very well maintained paved trails made for walking and biking, that go along creeks, parks, playgrounds, etc. In addition to the relaxing scenery (with many different points through south Tyler where you can park and enter the trails) there are various exercise equipment stations along the route as well as mile markers and maps, benches, trash receptacles, water fountains (complete with bowls attached for dogs), beautiful little bridges, and you never have to cross a highway because the trails lead you under the highways. Oh, and speaking of dogs, there are also various containers along the way with little bags for "doggie waste" so even though the trails are a favorite dog walking area, they are "doggie waste" free. The trails are a favorite with families, groups of friends, lovers, and solitary wanderers. They are so full of trees and gardens that even though you're smack dab in the middle of Tyler (and it's incessant traffic), the minute you leave your car and step off into the trail, the outside noises are muffled and instead what you hear is the sound of the running creek, birds, and the wind through the trees. Occasionally you will hear someone ring the bell located at one end of the park - it's traditional to ring it in honor of someone who has fought cancer (I ring it in memory of my grandmother whenever I bike or hike along the trail).

I need to leave my dogs at home and bring my camera instead next time...but my dogs love the trail so much I can never bring myself to leave them at home when I go!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 03-21-2016 at 06:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas