Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has character and awsome scenery
Longview 10 24.39%
Nacogdoches 15 36.59%
Lufkin 3 7.32%
Neither 13 31.71%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 02:30 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,893,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I think one difference is that those cities are more isolated away from other urban centers, so they have a much larger sphere of influence than Tyler which has Dallas just two hours away and several other similarly sized urban areas two hours in the other direction.

I do know Tyler/Longview offer a lot, but for me both feel more like large towns than small cities. The main reason is the extremely low density sprawl that's pretty common for all of East Texas really.

As far as character goes, Marshall and Jefferson are the historical pillars of Northeast Texas and their proximity to Caddo Lake makes that area the most charming, imo.
Thank you for understanding exactly what I mean
When driving through Nacogdoches and Lufkin you have enough time to know where your at.
They are not hit or miss places and now construction on I-69 coming through the cities actually make them look larger then Tyler or Longview if you want know the truth.Every week the local papers are showing know business wanting or coming to this area.Tyler may run Northeast Texas but south from Rusk,Henderson and carthage it's all Nac and Lufkin baby and trust me if something missing out of the area like Dave and busters which no city in etx have most go to Houston.

The plans on the southend of Nac or similar of some of the interchanges in Houston.The one in North Lufkin that is all most done with 4 mains lanes to be complete from n.timberland to Aktionson dr. with three lanes of frontage road meeting up with the major overpass.

All I have to say is if you haven't been here in this growing area in two month's you have miss alot and the Northside interchange in Lufkin when complete with again 4 mainlanes and 3 lanes of frontage road make coming in to Tyler a back wood town with a macys lol lmao!

Old 03-11-2016, 03:50 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,038,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Tyler and Longview are definitely metro areas as defined by the U.S. census. In other states Tyler, and even Longview would be considered among the larger cities in the state. I know if places like Roanoke, Lynchburg, VA or Springfield, Missouri can be considered metros in their regions, Tyler and Longview definitely would be.
To your point I've looked this up over the years:

Tyler is considered not large to us in Texas because of all the cities of large or larger metros
Same for California, Florida, New York and other states

According census figures for July 1 ,2014 latest figures, next will be out in May for July 1, 2015 estimates

Tyler is 1st in Population in:

Delaware
Maine
Vermont
Wyoming

Tyler is 2nd in Population in:

Alaska
Arkansas
Hawaii
Idaho
Maryland
Mississippi
Montana (close here)
New Mexico
North Dakota (close here)
Rhode Island
South Dakota

Tyler is 3rd in Population in:

Indiana
Kentucky
Nebraska
New Hampshire

Almost 20 states:

Just shows all our discussion in a different persective, as Solitare pointed out in his post.

I hate to point out where Nacogdoches would rank. For those that biggest counts the most. Just saying, of course this does not make Tyler better, more desirable or the bestest, with the mostest, or anything else, lol

Old 03-11-2016, 10:03 PM

Gee, I meant all of us in this discussion a different perspective, oh me lol

Old 03-12-2016, 12:23 AM

4,361 posts, read 4,548,742 times
Quote:
I think one difference is that those cities are more isolated away from other urban centers, so they have a much larger sphere of influence than Tyler which has Dallas just two hours away and several other similarly sized urban areas two hours in the other direction.

I do know Tyler/Longview offer a lot, but for me both feel more like large towns than small cities. The main reason is the extremely low density sprawl that's pretty common for all of East Texas really.

As far as character goes, Marshall and Jefferson are the historical pillars of Northeast Texas and their proximity to Caddo Lake makes that area the most charming, imo.
Quote:
I'm aware of that fact, but is Tyler more like other metro areas such as Chicago or Miami, or is it more like Nacogdoches? You get my drift.
Nobodies comparing Tyler or Longview to Chicago or Miami but Tyler and Longview are both well respected small metro areas in they're own right. Tyler and Longview both have influences that are well within East Texas and other areas that can reach a little beyond a 20 mile radius outside of ETX. It doesn't matter if it doesn't feel like like a "true" metro area the U.S. census designated both areas as metro areas. And they're definitely small cities by definition. I would consider Nac to be a large town. I would compare Tyler or Longview more so in the likes of a Beamount, Midland,Odessa,Waco,Killeen,etc. And I do realize those cities are bigger Tyler and Longview but they operate more identical to those cities then Nac or Lufkin. Just from my experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
Thank you for understanding exactly what I mean
When driving through Nacogdoches and Lufkin you have enough time to know where your at.
They are not hit or miss places and now construction on I-69 coming through the cities actually make them look larger then Tyler or Longview if you want know the truth.Every week the local papers are showing know business wanting or coming to this area.Tyler may run Northeast Texas but south from Rusk,Henderson and carthage it's all Nac and Lufkin baby and trust me if something missing out of the area like Dave and busters which no city in etx have most go to Houston.

The plans on the southend of Nac or similar of some of the interchanges in Houston.The one in North Lufkin that is all most done with 4 mains lanes to be complete from n.timberland to Aktionson dr. with three lanes of frontage road meeting up with the major overpass.

All I have to say is if you haven't been here in this growing area in two month's you have miss alot and the Northside interchange in Lufkin when complete with again 4 mainlanes and 3 lanes of frontage road make coming in to Tyler a back wood town with a macys lol lmao!
People from Henderson and Carthage are going to Longview way more then Nac. If your in Center,Diboll, or Garrison along those lines then yeah you're going to Lufkin and Nac more then any city in Northeast Texas.

And nobody in they're right mind would think either of those cities feel larger then Tyler or Longview.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:55 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,184,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
And nobody in they're right mind would think either of those cities feel larger then Tyler or Longview.
True.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:51 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,735,019 times
Quote:
Nobodies comparing Tyler or Longview to Chicago or Miami but Tyler and Longview are both well respected small metro areas in they're own right. Tyler and Longview both have influences that are well within East Texas and other areas that can reach a little beyond a 20 mile radius outside of ETX. It doesn't matter if it doesn't feel like like a "true" metro area the U.S. census designated both areas as metro areas.
Right, and I wasn't saying otherwise

Quote:
And they're definitely small cities by definition. I would consider Nac to be a large town. I would compare Tyler or Longview more so in the likes of a Beamount, Midland,Odessa,Waco,Killeen,etc. And I do realize those cities are bigger Tyler and Longview but they operate more identical to those cities then Nac or Lufkin. Just from my experiences.
Well, there is no universally agreed upon threshold defining the difference between a town and a city, which is why I kept saying it was a matter of perspective. In my book, the smallest city in Texas would be Corpus. Anything smaller than that is a town.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Nobodies comparing Tyler or Longview to Chicago or Miami but Tyler and Longview are both well respected small metro areas in they're own right. Tyler and Longview both have influences that are well within East Texas and other areas that can reach a little beyond a 20 mile radius outside of ETX. It doesn't matter if it doesn't feel like like a "true" metro area the U.S. census designated both areas as metro areas. And they're definitely small cities by definition. I would consider Nac to be a large town. I would compare Tyler or Longview more so in the likes of a Beamount, Midland,Odessa,Waco,Killeen,etc. And I do realize those cities are bigger Tyler and Longview but they operate more identical to those cities then Nac or Lufkin. Just from my experiences.

People from Henderson and Carthage are going to Longview way more then Nac. If your in Center,Diboll, or Garrison along those lines then yeah you're going to Lufkin and Nac more then any city in Northeast Texas.

Well each city I name have a direct connect to N*A*C and if you want believe they come here well lmao.

Nacogdoches is the ONLY city in East Texas with a major University Stephen F.Austin.
That is a enough.......................:shock ed::s hocked:

Old 03-14-2016, 10:32 AM

Sam Houston State University (known as SHSU or Sam) was founded in 1879 and is the third oldest public institution of higher learning in the State of Texas. It is located approximately one hour north of downtownHouston in the hills, lakes, and forests region of East Texas in Huntsville. It is one of the oldest purpose-built institutions for the instruction of teachers west of the Mississippi River and the first such institution of its type in Texas. The school is named for Sam Houston, who made his home in the city and is buried there.
SHSU is a member of the Texas State University System and has an enrollment of more than 18,400 students across over 80 undergraduate, 54 masters', and 6 doctoral degree programs. The university also offers more than 20 online bachelor's and graduate degrees, and its online programs are ranked high by U.S. News & World Report[citation needed]. It was the first institution classified as a Doctoral Research University by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education within the Texas State University System,[3] and while education continues to be the most popular major among students at the university, SHSU has nationally recognized programs in banking, performing arts, mathematics and criminal justice.

Larger than Stephen F. Austin Enrollment of 13,000 and is Officially Considered to be in East Texas

Old 03-15-2016, 06:08 AM

Stephen F.Austin is the only major University in East Texas and you really know that but can't accept the fact that it is Nacogdoches.Huntsville is southeast Texas and not Deep East Texas or Northeast Texas lol.
It is pretty sad that to bash a city that is the oldest city in Texas and has the only major Univ. in Etx and on top of that the best hills a city can offer in East Texas.I like your two lane toll road in Tyler it has a 3 or 4 cars traveling it but it is nothing like beltway 8 in Houston.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:10 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,124,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Sam Houston State University (known as SHSU or Sam) was founded in 1879 and is the third oldest public institution of higher learning in the State of Texas. It is located approximately one hour north of downtownHouston in the hills, lakes, and forests region of East Texas in Huntsville. It is one of the oldest purpose-built institutions for the instruction of teachers west of the Mississippi River and the first such institution of its type in Texas. The school is named for Sam Houston, who made his home in the city and is buried there.
SHSU is a member of the Texas State University System and has an enrollment of more than 18,400 students across over 80 undergraduate, 54 masters', and 6 doctoral degree programs. The university also offers more than 20 online bachelor's and graduate degrees, and its online programs are ranked high by U.S. News & World Report[citation needed]. It was the first institution classified as a Doctoral Research University by the Carnegie Commission on Higher Education within the Texas State University System,[3] and while education continues to be the most popular major among students at the university, SHSU has nationally recognized programs in banking, performing arts, mathematics and criminal justice.

Larger than Stephen F. Austin Enrollment of 13,000 and is Officially Considered to be in East Texas

Larger and not to mention: a much better football team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas