Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:11 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,380,632 times

Advertisements

all i know is that i was sort of shocked to see how many openly gay men there are in South Texas. where I work there are so many. i am from rural North Texas where the "tough rough cowboy manly man" kinda guy is the norm. here, the gay men are openly blatantly displaying their sexuality.
maybe there are more gays in the hispanic community? i come from a predominantly caucasian or "anglo" as they say down here, area of Texas...so this was quite the culture shock in more ways than one. no offense but i personally cant wait to get back to conservative republican right wing hetero anglo land............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:29 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Pretty amazing how many people are coming down to the RGV lately because there is work that they can't hire locally.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 11,124 times
Yes, it is pretty amazing how many companies that are taking jobs across the border. I am relocating with the company that I have worked for years with.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:38 PM

52 posts, read 195,448 times
My husband showed me this topic. I hope you enjoy the RGV. San Antonio is more open when it comes to being public about it. I personally don't feel anyone should judge you one way or the other. I always get stared at strangely when I visit his home town in TN, but that is just another reason we stay in the Valley. Whether it's race or sexuality I think everyone gets along pretty well here. I hope you both find the Valley a nice change.
Belinda

Old 07-21-2007, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 9,348 times
Thumbs up Thinking of moving to Texas

What would you consider small, rural towns? And What would be the most gay friendly part of texas to live?:

Thanks

DC

Old 07-21-2007, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,862 times
Default moving to MCALLEN to be w/ my partner

I live in California.and planing to move pretty soon to The Valley..Im Lesbian and i love my girlfriend..But Im a little scare to take the step..Moving to the Valley..Finding a job...In a new place...I lived in California my whole life..But i Think it time for me to move ON...I Heard So many good thing about the valley from Her..That in August Im going fo vacations...

Old 07-28-2007, 11:47 AM

5 posts, read 23,663 times
Two years ago, I was a stranger in this land as well. If you go half way to meet them, you will find that Texans are the most friendly people on earth. Just take a deep breath and say " Texas here I come." My only advice is to live in or close to a larger city, like McAllen or Harlingen. Nobody will give a damn what your sexual preferences are, so stop worrying. Just enjoy life, in Texas.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 8,311 times
Default may move to mcallen

I am considering moving to mcallen texas for a new job. Any suggestions, considerations, tips, gay friendly locations?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:36 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
where are you in now? as you can tell by these boards, there is a lot of negative attitude about the valley. if you come with a positive attitude, you'll love it. some jobs here pay a lot more because people don't want to come here. my husband makes over 150k more here than he would in houston. as far as gay friendly locations, i don't think anybody makes that a consideration. there might be gay clubs--i personally don't know. but people here just don't care either way. welcome to the valley!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:19 PM

3 posts, read 8,311 times
Default response from the D

I am back in Detroit now. I was in McAllen for the past few days for the interview. Being gay and moving to a new town is always a concern but as a human being the other considerations are quality of life, will a yankee from Michigan be accepted. While I was in town everyone was super nice but I also was being courted so I think it takes some additional information to get the real feel of a city. How long have you, hellpaso, been in the area, how do you like it? etc. The draw is the money, the opportunity for growth, etc. but quality of life is always a concern.

the mixed races aren't a concern. As a white guy in Detroit I am usually in the minority in work and business related events. Any information is helpful, thanks hellpaso for any insights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas