Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 08:37 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,748,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allformychildren View Post
Hi,

I'd like to be more specific about my question:

Working from home so relocation shouldn't matter. Selling my house in Cal would allow me to buy a house in Texas in the price range of 150 to 200K without worrying about mortgage. This way I can spend less hours working and more time with my kids.

Looking for an area that is not too crowded, has low crime rate, good school, libraries with kid's programs, parks and outdoor activities for kids. Hoping that the area doesn't get too hot (over 100F) for too long in the summer and doesn't snow in the winter.

Would there be such a place like that in Texas?

Thank you every one for your feedback
Nice follow-up post.

For many of us, it's "not the heat, it's the humidity". & in the summer, the heat (& the humidity) is relentless....every day during July & Aug is 95+. But the question is, would you rather be in Temps of 100 degree with 60% humidity or 95 degrees with 80%. It really is THE question. For me, being west of I 35 is preferable, areas in between (Waco, College Station, Dallas area) is OK humidity wise, and SE Texas (Houston area) & East Texas are too humid. (for me)

Also, the winter in Texas (even in North Texas) is NOT relentless. It'll dip into the 20s or 30s for a day, slowly rise over the next few days into the 60s and 70s until another front blows thru 7-9 days later (rinse & repeat for 3-4 months). To me, it's not so bad wearing a parka for 2 days, knowing that two days later you'll be playing golf in shorts. (But the summer doesn't give you that "break".)

OP, are you OK with small town, red state Texas (think King of the Hill), or would you prefer to be in suburbia? (note - you'll get ALOT more for you money in towns/small cities than you will in suburbia)

There are Good posts above. Texas Diver gave lots of good info (but your subsequent post of wanting 200K max would knock out about half the suburbs on his list. ) & I agree, Abilene is a nice town. Other towns (nice towns that hit your price point and most of your data points) you might look at (that haven't been mentioned) might include:

New Braunfels, Seguin, Corpus Christi, Liberty Hill, La Grange, Burnet, Georgetown, Lago Vista, Salado, Belton, Lampasas, Granbury & a several suburbs/towns in greater Ft. Worth. (Mansfield? Arlington?)

Also there are dozens of towns in SE and East Texas that would be on the list if you enjoy humidity. Good Luck.

Last edited by hound 109; 03-18-2016 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 08:46 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,748,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Depends on your level of wealth and employment. Basically all the newer suburbs around all the major cities are jam packed with kid-friendly neighborhoods with lots of playgrounds, pools, waterparks, new schools, and lots of kid-friendly businesses and such. Those are the areas that many middle to upper middle class families are migrating within Texas. There are too many to list completely, but off the top of my head.

Around Dallas Fort Worth there are places like Keller, Lewisville, Allen, Frisco, Coppell, South Lake, Rockwall, etc. Basically most of the suburbs on the north side.

Around Austin there are Cedar Park, Round Rock, Lake Travis, Pflugerville.

Around San Antonio, most of the suburbs on the north and northwest side. San Antonio has more expansive city limits than other cities in TX so many areas that would be separate suburban towns in other cities fall within the city of San Antonio.

Around Houston you have places like the Woodlands, Katy, Sugar Land, Friendswood, Pearland, Spring, and so forth.

Some of the smaller cities in Texas like Waco, Tyler, and College Station also have nice areas for families.

Basically if you pick an area in Texas to live that has a decent thriving economy you'll find someplace decent and kid-friendly to live.

Diver posted this excellent post before he knew your desire for under 200K homes. The bolded cities would likely NOT have any decent 3 BR homes for under 250K. Just an FYI.

Note - I don't know DFW as well as the other areas, If there are homes for under 200K in the towns bolded (in DFW) above, then I stand corrected....but I believe they've all seen appreciation over the past 10 years to 250K+ for a typical 3/2 home.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:29 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,938,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allformychildren View Post
Thank you all. The info you provided has been very helpful!
Anytime.Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas