U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 10,359 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in a small town in PA with about 2,600 people. He is from TN. We have been talking about moving to Tennessee or Texas. I would like to live in a small town that does not have alot of crime or bad weather. I am also a RN so I would need a town with a hospital near by. Any replies would be so helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 03:53 PM

808 posts, read 2,458,023 times
Three small towns that I really like are Hallettsville, Schulenburg, and La Grange. There are hospitals in Hallettsville and La Grange, and Schulenburg is located directly between the two (about 20 miles from each). I do not know the crime stats on these cities, but they seem safe when I drive through them.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:02 PM

1,315 posts, read 4,625,892 times
It might be too isolated for you, but Alpine in far west Texas has about 5700 people, a state college, and the Big Bend Regional Medical Center right in town. No crime, nice people, and some of the most beautiful sunsets in the world.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:15 PM

595 posts, read 1,725,908 times
Tyler, Texas
East Texas Medical Center Tyler -- Heart, spine care, neurological including Cancer treatment -- Health Information -- E
www.trimofran.org
TYLERTEXAS.ORG

Old 02-11-2008, 04:48 PM

We do not have any family in Texas.. so we are kind of isolating ourselves. My husband is worried about tornadoes. Im wondering what parts of texas are not prone to tornadoes.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 20,780 times
Default How small are you looking for?

I'm in Bryan which is a part of the Bryan/College Station area of Brazos county.
I moved here to get away from the crime of Houston.
College Station is the home of Texas A&M University and is considered the most educated city in the nation due to the number of people who live in the area holding degrees.
Everything is here that you would need but it still doesn't feel like a large metropolitan area.
There are other smaller towns in the area such as Hearne that you could choose from.
Real estate prices are reasonable.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM

I want to live in a small town with a country like setting.. less than 5,000 people. I wouldent mind living near a larger city that I could commute to. I want privacy, and peace and quite.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:44 PM

3,494 posts, read 9,735,792 times
you will find bad weather everywhere.

as an RN you have your pick and choose of where you want to live and work. i am an RN (ER) and love living and working in Texas. what is your specialty?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 20,780 times
Default Small towns

Here check out a few Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

They are near the Bryan/College Station metro area which includes an airport and hospitals plus additional medical facilities.
There is a lot of country property available within a drive of the Bryan/College Station area.

I'd also have to agree with another poster about the Schulenburg area.
It's a nice area with a lot of country property.
Most of Texas is country property.
It sits on 1-10 with easy access to the Houston and San Antonio metro areas.
West of Schulenburg is Praha it has an interesting history and continues to be very small.
Also in the area is Shiner, TX. It's a lovely small community with several health care facilities close by. Here's the Shiner city's website.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 06:36 AM..

Old 02-19-2008, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 8,493 times
Default small town to live in

I can give you real small towns that are rural areas with country setting to chose from. I am grew up in a town that has no population on the sign, rural area called Star. This area is known for farms and ranches and easy, laid back living. The nearest town with a hospital is Gatesville or Hamilton and they are both 30 plus miles away. Closer to larger towns are McGregor, Moody and Oglesby. There are 2 very good hospitals in Waco. Then theres always the Temple-Belton area which have small towns of Academy, Holland to name few smaller towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas