Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:08 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powered_by_Espresso View Post
People here in TX really are the nicest. I moved here one year ago from the PNW and it still shocks me every single day how nice people are here!
I agree, and I moved here in 2008 from California. I had been to all of the 'Lower 48' US state before moving Texas, and I've been to all of the 'Lower 48 again since moving here. Since 2008, I've had hundreds of conversations with people in many states (spread out over most of the country) during which people have asked me where I live/where am I from. I say that I am originally from California, but live happily in Texas. More often than not, the response I hear is -- 'Ive never met anyone from Texas that I didn't like'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 02:21 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
It sure is not that way in the Boston to DC urban belt.
It's not just Texas. Texans are generally friendly but most of "fly-over country" is pretty darn friendly. I think its more a function that Boston to DC has the biggest proportion of a-holes in the country, with the West Coast (along the coast, not inland) being a close second.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my post View Post
I am spending a month in Texas on business and have spent quite a bit of time in Dallas, Austin and San Antonio and everywhere in between. I am coming in contact with literally thousands of people in a wide variety of interpersonal connections. Almost without exception, I just keep thinking- "WOW! NEARLY Everyone is so friendly here!" I just can't believe how friendly people are here! (Of course there are a few exceptions, just not many.)

It sure is not that way in the Boston to DC urban belt. But the towns between Dallas and San Antonio are full of people just like the east coast. I imagine the traffic and sprawl of that section of Texas could be just as stressful as living on the east coast. But the social culture is so different.

So what is the reason why it is so friendly in Texas?
We just returned from a road trip there and we were so impressed by the same thing. Drove down from Amarillo to San Antonio and everywhere we went we noticed how friendly Texans are especially up around the hill country and north. Quite a contrast to the Pacific Northwest... cant wait to get down there permanently.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:55 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
It's not just Texas. Texans are generally friendly but most of "fly-over country" is pretty darn friendly. I think its more a function that Boston to DC has the biggest proportion of a-holes in the country, with the West Coast (along the coast, not inland) being a close second.
I agree with this post whole heartedly.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Why happy / friendly / accepting and helpful to strangers... (It starts at home)

1) they are raised that way (with manners.... Remember that?)
2) respect others
3) agrarian culture / farmers and ranchers... You will likely need to be nice to others as they might be called on to help you, Or for you to help them (cows get out of fence... Break your leg during harvest... Barn burns down...)
4). Working together is much preferred to working against each other.
5), german / eastern europe background... More farming / collaboration... Working together adds up faster than working alone.
6) confident... Texans are loyal to each other, and proud of their state
7) security... They are not likely to be Forced Out of Texas. There are jobs / different economies in TEX. TX is 'business friendly'. This is IMPORTANT if you want to RETAIN employers.... Many states vote to DISABLE employers.
8). Access to education. Especially higher ed. And a demanding / reputable higher education system (not a wimpy one)
9). desire to succeed, rather than mooch off the system / strong work ethic.
10) embrace cultural diversity, yup, you need to work together and allow space for all to contribute

Note that the 'happiest' countries share several of the last few traits, they often have people that tend to work 'together' / collectively, but not too many are 'sunny'.

Denmark
Switzerland
Iceland
Sweden
Norway
Finland
The Netherlands
Canada
Israel
Austria
NZ
AU

I must admit.... I come to TX for sun, AND my great neighbors. (Most are farmers / ranchers).

If TX could develop, prove, and provide a NEW USA healthcare system.... They would be TOPS. It is within their knowledge, financial ability, skillset, purpose, to do so.... And it would ROCK. I challenge them to do it!

1). THROW away the old system. (Mandatory first step..)
When TX residents are secure in healthcare, education, and economy.... They will be very productive (happy, loyal, friendly, useful to society...)

TX could learn a bit more about reducing trash / roadside garbage.... Ladybird tried....That too will come if TX'ns make it a priority. Bounty on trashies would be a good start, but TX'ns aren't keen on tattle-tales, so.... we must all do more than our share, until it becomes a 'shared' value.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:57 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
[b]
Note that the 'happiest' countries share several of the last few traits, they often have people that tend to work 'together' / collectively, but not too many are 'sunny'.

Denmark
Switzerland
Iceland
Sweden
Norway
Finland
The Netherlands
Canada
Israel
Austria
NZ
AU
These countries, until VERY recently, have also been extremely homogeneous. Diversity / multiculturalism is the archenemy of national unity and cooperation.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:16 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,002,162 times
The warmth and outdoor togetherness (festivals, live concerts, block parties, etc.) is one factor. People tend to be drawn together for things shared in common of a recreational nature. Another is the diversity factor which sort of forces people to get used to each other, and find common threads among people as a whole. The more one is exposed to variety, the more normal it seems, and the less one looks at differences in people. It all comes together to break down walls that might exist in other regions and cultures. Plus, it's polite and expected (translation: normal, traditional conduct).

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 04-22-2016 at 11:29 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 06:25 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
I always hear this, but my one and only venture into the northeast (Pittsburgh), I was prepared for rudeness and got lots of friendly folks instead. I don't know about Boston though. Never been there, but would really love to visit. My sister said Boston is one of her favorite cities she has traveled to.

I don't understand why people wouldn't be friendly to strangers. It just makes the day nicer to be nice to people, and people usually respond in kind. I've heard people from the NE say that people are fake friendly here, but that's not true. Just because people will chat with you in public and be polite doesn't mean that secretly they don't like you and are faking it. When I smile at people and start up a conversation, I'm not secretly thinking that person is annoying. I genuinely want to know how someone is doing, or learn more about them. The world is just better when people are polite.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:36 AM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I agree, and I moved here in 2008 from California. I had been to all of the 'Lower 48' US state before moving Texas, and I've been to all of the 'Lower 48 again since moving here. Since 2008, I've had hundreds of conversations with people in many states (spread out over most of the country) during which people have asked me where I live/where am I from. I say that I am originally from California, but live happily in Texas. More often than not, the response I hear is -- 'Ive never met anyone from Texas that I didn't like'.
That's nice to hear. One doesn't get that impression when reading comments about Texas on national articles. I thought about moving someday, but from comments I started to worry how I would be received since it seems so many actively hate Texans and think we're all uneducated a-holes who deserve every natural disaster that comes our way. Glad to know there are great Texas ambassadors out there.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:37 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
Cause momma would've whipped me if I weren't.

Plus it's easy to be friendly. Takes more effort to frown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas